2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

I have a question to all the people who claim Savage Jr was a reach. I keep hearing this over and over. My question to you is who was your top Safety and explain if he was a fit for this scheme.

I seen that the two teams that were high on Savage traded down after we took him and that was the Colts and Ravens.

Only two Safety's were taken in the first round and think I heard 11 went in the 2nd but that may include corners.

I think he was a solid pick. You can't go wrong with speed, ball skills and someone who loves to hit.

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Let's not forget the Seahawks traded out of 30.

Hope this is a joke. The Seahawks came in with only 4 picks and obviously traded out to garner more picks which they ended up with 11. That's been their M O every year,  they always move down don't get your point here.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

I have a question to all the people who claim Savage Jr was a reach. I keep hearing it this over and over. My question to you is who was your top Safety and explain if he was a fit for this scheme.

I seen that the two teams that were high on Savage traded down after we took him and that was the Colts and Ravens.

Only two Safety's were taken in the first round and think I heard 11 went in the 2nd but that may include corners.

I think he was a solid pick. You can't go wrong with speed, ball skills and someone who loves to hit.

I think its mainly people upset we traded our 4th round picks for moving up for what Gute and Co thought was the best saftey in the class.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hands said:

There are very few things that I can say about this draft or any draft for that matter. We don't know how Gutsy had his board and don't know which players were picked for potential or for their grade at the point they were drafted.

That said...you know after the draft that the Packers really like the WRs they have on the roster. Second thing we know is that the RB position is pretty well set if they only took one and he was a late round pick.

I think the Packer's like their TEs as well since they only selected one.

I also think they are tired of the lack of depth in both lines and worked w/ FA and the draft to find possible solutions. 

It appears that Pettine is going to stop the run and make his opponents find match-ups in the passing game. That will be hard to do if the secondary stays relatively healthy.

We all will find out soon how successful this strategy will be.

I think their hands were kinda tied a bit with regard to any certain strategy. We had a lot of holes to fill. Gutes strategy was probably just to upgrade the talent level at their least talented positions.

I fully expect them to go offense heavy next year though.

I don’t think it’s accurate to say we reached on anyone. A couple of the players may not have been to our/my liking, but Gary was pretty much a consensus top 15 type guy. Jenkins was borderline 1st/2nd. Sternberger was almost always a 3rd/4th type. Savage is the one that looked like a reach based on consensus, but he had a late push of hype where pundits were starting to realize they low balled him. And we know several other NFL teams felt the same way.

Finally had a chance to get my thoughts together, and a few things to start out with.  This is the second official draft that Gute has been in charge of, and he's clearly putting a premium on athleticism.  His "worst" athlete this year was Jace Sternberger, and even Gute said that they timed him better than what was reported.  Either way, they clearly like adding athleticism to the roster, so that's going to likely be a reoccurring theme moving forward.  Secondly, it's pretty clear that Gute is willing to be aggressive to ensure he gets his guy.  Last year, he moved up to select Jaire Alexander and this year he moved up to select Darnell Savage.  Finally, it seems that those 30 visits are where at least 2-3 of his draft picks are coming from.  This year we had Jace Sternberger and Ka'Dar Hollman in for visits, and we did the last same thing last year with Oren Burks, Kendall Donnerson, J'Mon Moore, and MVS.  Finally, I wonder when the draft board dried up.  I think it was right after Keke.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Finally had a chance to get my thoughts together, and a few things to start out with.  This is the second official draft that Gute has been in charge of, and he's clearly putting a premium on athleticism.  His "worst" athlete this year was Jace Sternberger, and even Gute said that they timed him better than what was reported.  Either way, they clearly like adding athleticism to the roster, so that's going to likely be a reoccurring theme moving forward.  Secondly, it's pretty clear that Gute is willing to be aggressive to ensure he gets his guy.  Last year, he moved up to select Jaire Alexander and this year he moved up to select Darnell Savage.  Finally, it seems that those 30 visits are where at least 2-3 of his draft picks are coming from.  This year we had Jace Sternberger and Ka'Dar Hollman in for visits, and we did the last same thing last year with Oren Burks, Kendall Donnerson, J'Mon Moore, and MVS.  Finally, I wonder when the draft board dried up.  I think it was right after Keke.

Yeah, we didn't pick a single visit guy until Sternberger and it was brutally obvious we were picking him. I should've put money down on it in Vegas...seriously...

Eglton Jenkins had mediocre athleticism, however, and he made his bones with his versatility. I think we need to observe a balance between athleticism and versatility moving forward; at least when it comes to OL/DL. Sternberger was another of those guys who's a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none type. Nothing wrong with 4 star players and a bunch of really good role players....

....it's how Belichick has been successful TBH...

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Yeah, we didn't pick a single visit guy until Sternberger and it was brutally obvious we were picking him. I should've put money down on it in Vegas...seriously...

Eglton Jenkins had mediocre athleticism, however, and he made his bones with his versatility. I think we need to observe a balance between athleticism and versatility moving forward; at least when it comes to OL/DL. Sternberger was another of those guys who's a jack-of-all-trades master-of-none type. Nothing wrong with 4 star players and a bunch of really good role players....

....it's how Belichick has been successful TBH...

It was either going to be him or Warring IMO.  Those were the two TEs we were going to be picking from.

Defnitely disagree about Jenkins being a mediocre athlete.  He tested well in the RAS department.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Yeah, I was thinking that if every GM followed the conventional wisdom, nobody would be any better than anybody else. You have to make bold moves to have any chance to get ahead of the crowd. So it's good to see our guy showing some aggressiveness. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I'm a Notre Dame fan who usually doesn't like how those kids translate to the NFL, sans O-line. I think Dexter Williams is going to be a fine addition to our running back crew. He's going to be a valuable addition to this team before 2019 is over. 

• Like 1

Gute was a part of a staff that missed out on at least two hall of fame talents because they reportedly couldn’t get trades done: Urlacher when he was drafted and Moss when NE got him. Not saying anything about Alexander’s or Savage’s career trajectory but you have to figure that plays into his mentality with these first round moves.

• Like 1

What is so hard to believe ? If you have a need that must be filled, and there are only so many guys you feel can do it,  you go get him. Gute said Savage definitely would not have been there at 30. No reason for him to lie. He isn't gonna toss around 4th rounders just for fun. He obviously didn't feel good enough about the other safeties on the board. Better to live and die with the guy you wanted. If Savage turns into a Pro Bowl guy, no one is gonna care about the 4th rounders

The only think you can ask when you make a trade is you get value. According to the chart most NFL teams use, we got value in moving up from 30 to 21. How it turns out really isn't a factor because you don't know who we would have drafted at 30 and the 2 - 4th round picks. 

You just go get your guy.