2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

via Tom Pelissero twitter:

"Former Washington State DB Jalen Thompson visited the #Packers today and took a physical, the results of which will be shared with the other 31 teams, his agent, Brad Cicala, told me" 

Packers could have genuine interest or Gute could be just messing with his peers like he did by bringing in several WRs pre-draft

4 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"Former Washington State DB Jalen Thompson visited the #Packers today and took a physical, the results of which will be shared with the other 31 teams, his agent, Brad Cicala, told me" 

Packers could have genuine interest or Gute could be just messing with his peers like he did by bringing in several WRs pre-draft

at this point i'm gonna be disappointed if he's not a packer tomorrow tbh i've spent like 10 minutes researching him 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I find it hard to believe that we would give up a 3rd or 4'th on a safety when we just invested heavily in a free agent and moved up in the first to take one.

And if he's a slot guy, isn't that where Jaire should be playing?

I get wanting/needing depth, but that doesn't seem like an overly smart move.

Have to admit, though, the measureables on Thompson are very interesting.

IIRC we played A TON of 3 safety last year. If we plan to play that again to combat big slot or receiving TEs, then a 3rd safety is a must. 

36 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

That makes sense, but perhaps you are only considering one side of the Safety equation ?

GB lost HaHa, Brice, Jermaine Whitehead, Eddie Pleasant, Ibraheim Campbell and potentially Josh Jones from the 2018 Safety room
They are also trying to push Tramon out of the Safety room as well. That's 6 -7 players that need to be replaced. I don't think the Packers are done re-making that position and I wouldn't be surprised if they grab a guy at cutdowns or invest in the Supplemental Safety.

Tre Boston is somebody to consider too. But if Thompson can play and fits the room personality, attitude, and work ethic, then a draft pick is a far better value. They learn YOUR system (without having to forget a couple they learned as a pro), can take a year to get up to speed if your starters stay healthy, and are cheap. 

28 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

at this point i'm gonna be disappointed if he's not a packer tomorrow tbh i've spent like 10 minutes researching him 

Gotta win the lottery too apparently...

Supplemental Draft Selection Process

Teams may choose to “bid” a draft pick on any of the players listed above, specifying which round of the draft that bid corresponds to.
The team bidding in the earliest round receives the rights to that player.

However, if multiple teams bid in the same round, a priority list is generated, and the team with the higher priority will receive the player’s rights.
Teams fall into three groups:

1. Teams with six wins or fewer in 2019 (the Packers fall in this group)
  2. Teams with more than six wins that did not make the playoffs
  3. Playoff teams

The teams within each group are picked lottery-style, with worse teams getting more chances for the higher priority. A team that is awarded a player through this process will forfeit their pick in the same round in the 2020 NFL Draft.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

That makes sense, but perhaps you are only considering one side of the Safety equation ?

GB lost HaHa, Brice, Jermaine Whitehead, Eddie Pleasant, Ibraheim Campbell and potentially Josh Jones from the 2018 Safety room
They are also trying to push Tramon out of the Safety room as well. That's 6 -7 players that need to be replaced. I don't think the Packers are done re-making that position and I wouldn't be surprised if they grab a guy at cutdowns or invest in the Supplemental Safety.

You all are selling me on him. 

But still I go back to this....

We traded up for a safety, invested heavily in free agency on another.  We've spoken highly of Raven Greene and we have a history of keeping an athletic UDFA on the roster at safety.  Even under Gute.

It would surprise me, but it looks like I should get prepared to be surprised, if that is a thing!

59 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I hope those results are shared with the other teams via third class mail..........

"Oh gee......you got the results after the draft?"

Here's how Jalen Thompson would have fared at the combine for Safeties that were drafted:

Ht Wt 40 Vert Broad 3C
Jalen Thompson 5'10" 186 4.51 33.5 124 6.98

1st Round            
Darnell Savage 5' 11" 198 4.32 39.5 126 7.03
Johnathan Abram 5'11" 205 4.45 - 116 -
2nd Round            
Marquise Blair 6' 1" 195 4.48 35 125 6.84
Nas Adderley 6' 0" 206 4.54 39 129 -
Taylor Rapp 6' 0" 208 4.7 35 115 6.82
Juan Thornhill 6' 0" 205 4.42 44 141 6.86
3rd Round            
Will Harris 6' 1" 207 4.41 36.5 123 6.91
Quincy Williams 5' 11" 225 4.56 39 124 7.25
Mike Edwards 5' 9" 189 4.56 36 124 6.94
4th Round            
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson 5'11 210 4.48 36 117 7.03
Khari Willis 5' 11" 213 4.52 34.5 118 7.15
Amani Hooker 5'11" 210 4.48 37 123 6.81
Sheldrick Redwine 6' 0" 196 4.44 39 130 7.11
Ugo Amadi 5' 9" 199 4.51 32.5 115 7.21
5th Round            
Deionte Thompson 6' 1" 195 4.46 - - -
Marvel Tell 6' 2" 198 4.57 42 136 6.63
6th Round            
Saquan Hampton 6'1" 206 4.48 36.5 125 6.97
Jaquan Johnson 5' 10" 191 4.64 33 121 7.2
Marcus Epps 6' 0" 191 4.52 38.5 124 6.79
Donovan Wilson 6' 0" 199 4.58 36 127 6.94
7th Round            
Nick Scott 5' 11" 201 4.43 41 128 7.02
Edited by Fl0nkerton
  • Like 2

A third S and second legit slot corner would be nice. I’ll be honest, I hadn’t heard of him. From my reading, it sounds like Thompson would be.a late second to fourth round prospect if in a typical draft. The team that wants him probably gives up a third or 4th. Odds are as a rookie he’d be too far behind from missing otas/etc to make an impact until half way in the season 

Edited by pacman5252

Is it too foolish to think that we could potentially bring him in to groom behind who we have? I'm looking at our schedule and we've got three scrub teams in December alone late in the year in the Giants, Skins, and Lions(week 17 when the playoff picture should be set). Who's to say he can't catch up by then?

Also, we're talking about his size. Looking at the 6 safeties right now, if we're moving down to 4 not counting Tramon, we're looking at a combo of Amos, Jones, and/or Tyson as bigger safeties who can cover a TE if our system does require that assignment.