2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

Don't love the draft.  Seems like we got very little help for this 2019 team.  After strictly focusing on the defense over the last 3+ years it would have been nice to show some attention to the offense.  Don't like the idea of requiring AR12 to stand on his head every series because we're going into next year with less offense on the team than we had the year prior.  A season in which it was very clear that we did not have enough offensive talent to make it to the playoffs. 

I'm a big Michigan fan but IMO, Gary was a big reach.  Very concerned about his shoulder and his eye popping low wonderlic (one of the lowest scores in this year's draft).  

Don't mind Savage but IMO he's another reach and we gave up 3 of our top 6 picks for him.  How many people thought he was the best DB in college football last year after Maryland ended their season?  He wasn't a differance maker for a secondary that got tourched on a week in and week out basis.   Seems like he's being drafted that high based on very little other than his 40 time.  A good player but not the Derwin James caliber of safety that he was drafted to be

Don't love the Sternberger pick.  Have concerns that his production is the result of their offense seeing that his college production before getting to A&M was horrid.  He had to exit the D1 to get playing time and even then failed to impress at the JUCO level.  A really mediocre athlete never going to be able to run away from defenders or block in the NFL. 

19 minutes ago, Radagast said:

Meanwhile back on the planet Earth, the recent NFL Draft has the faithful chanting and getting tattooed. Their simply unaware that the Packers have only just changed players at the roster positions. No league dominating players have been added, though they did have a shot at some and passed them by as usual. 

Following the Ted Thompson draft strategy of picking average or better players, spending years training them and then watching them relocate to another team to get paid what GB should have paid to keep them is still The Standard Operating Procedure. The roster slots get filled, the standard excuses are still offered "ahead" of time, but the status quo is satisfied and the profit margin keeps growing. 

Green Bay's 2019 Draft Grade : C

Who ordered the sentient NY strip with a side of word-salad?

Edited by Fl0nkerton

16 minutes ago, SSG said:

Don't like the idea of requiring AR12 to stand on his head every series because we're going into next year with less offense on the team than we had the year prior.  A season in which it was very clear that we did not have enough offensive talent to make it to the playoffs. 

We added 2 starting-caliber OGs, a top 75 pick at TE and versatile RB. We have 3 WRs poised for a potential year 2 breakout.

How do we possibly have "less offense" than 2018?

We lost a 38 rec, 380 yd, 2 TD WR and added what I mentioned above. You're nuts if you think this offense looks worse than 2018.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SSG said:

Don't love the draft.  Seems like we got very little help for this 2019 team.  After strictly focusing on the defense over the last 3+ years it would have been nice to show some attention to the offense.  Don't like the idea of requiring AR12 to stand on his head every series because we're going into next year with less offense on the team than we had the year prior.  A season in which it was very clear that we did not have enough offensive talent to make it to the playoffs. 

I'm a big Michigan fan but IMO, Gary was a big reach.  Very concerned about his shoulder and his eye popping low wonderlic (one of the lowest scores in this year's draft).  

Don't mind Savage but IMO he's another reach and we gave up 3 of our top 6 picks for him.  How many people thought he was the best DB in college football last year after Maryland ended their season?  He wasn't a differance maker for a secondary that got tourched on a week in and week out basis.   Seems like he's being drafted that high based on very little other than his 40 time.  A good player but not the Derwin James caliber of safety that he was drafted to be

Don't love the Sternberger pick.  Have concerns that his production is the result of their offense seeing that his college production before getting to A&M was horrid.  He had to exit the D1 to get playing time and even then failed to impress at the JUCO level.  A really mediocre athlete never going to be able to run away from defenders or block in the NFL. 

so so so so soooooo much wrong with this post. its like you didnt study the players at all and just take what the media puts down your throat.

• Like 1

So my thoughts on the class, pick by pick:

EDGE Rashan Gary
-When it happened I was livid. I've really wanted Brian Burns for this team, so I was very disappointed that they didn't go that route. I do understand the reasons why Gary was less productive at Michigan that people would hope (shoulder injury, playing 6i is a murder for counting stats). He's a legit bonkers athlete. Hopefully it translates to the NFL and we don't end up with a Solomon Thomas.

S Darnell Savage
-Didn't like the cost of the trade-up, but one of my favorite safeties in the draft. Would've taken him at 30 no problem, and if GB had intel he wouldn't get there (which Rap confirmed), and they saw him as S1, I get it. Don't love the cost of the trade up, but love the player.

IOL Elgton Jenkins
-Another guy I really liked. Can play four positions. Might be the starting LG this year.

TE Jace Sternberger
-Not my favorite TE prospect, but a solid one. Smooth player. Not a great athlete, but also not a bad one. Tested average to slightly above at pretty much every spot, which is actually pretty rare for a TE.

IDL Kingsley Keke
-Another guy I liked quite a bit. Tested very well. Like him as a long-term 3T.

CB Ka'Dar Hollman
-Gotta be honest, didn't even know who he was. Tested well though.

RB Dexter Williams
-Good tester, looks like the kind of guy that will excel most in a wide-zone scheme.

LB Ty Summers
-Probably just a ST guy

Notable UDFA OT Yosh Nijman
-Love that we got an absolute elite athlete to develop as an OT. Technique is pretty horrid, but the guy can move and mirror well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Who invited the sentient NY strip?

Nobody.
He just wore out his welcome everywhere else he posted...
For his opening line at FF... Radagast wrote:
" I have always tried to be tolerant of others, but I've discovered that Wisconsiners that I've encountered are just mostly a rude collection of crude hermits"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SSG said:

Don't love the draft.  Seems like we got very little help for this 2019 team. 

Shocker!

No one loves to bellyache about the Packers more than you.

One of your best tirades was when TT cut Sitton- lol... I think the exact rant was Bakhtiari and Taylor were going to be the worst left side tackle/guard combo in the history of the NFL... Priceless!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

So my thoughts on the class, pick by pick:

EDGE Rashan Gary
-When it happened I was livid. I've really wanted Brian Burns for this team, so I was very disappointed that they didn't go that route. I do understand the reasons why Gary was less productive at Michigan that people would hope (shoulder injury, playing 6i is a murder for counting stats). He's a legit bonkers athlete. Hopefully it translates to the NFL and we don't end up with a Solomon Thomas.

Notable UDFA OT Yosh Nijman
-Love that we got an absolute elite athlete to develop as an OT. Technique is pretty horrid, but the guy can move and mirror well.

I was close to that with Gary, I also wanted Burns... After reviewing how young Gary was his three years at UM, his true intelligence (academic All Big Ten), his actual productivity and his Clowney level athleticism; I changed my mind on him.

Nijman does look like a heck of UDFA

33 minutes ago, SSG said:

This couldn't be further from the truth lol. The guy is a ball hawk, he has great instincts in coverage, and he flys to the ball carrier and hits hard. He's not Derwin James, but thats BS anyone is thinking the hype around him is because of his 40 time.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't even love DVOA like incog does, but the Packers were 7th in offensive DVOA last year despite ALL their issues.  A QB publicly feuding with our HC, breaking in 3 rookie WRs, our biggest TE target since Jermichael Finley struggling, our IOL playing poorly, etc.  Our offense wasn't the issue, it was the defense.  And we continued to improve the defense.  Our young WRs have shown they have talent, and we just paid Rodgers $33.5M/year.  If he can't make a slew of talented receivers productive, maybe he isn't as good as we think he is.

45 minutes ago, SSG said:

If you can find ANY correlation between Wonderlic scores and being an effective pass rusher, I'll shut up.  But there's no correlation.  None.

45 minutes ago, SSG said:

How many times do we have to go over this?  The whole concept of reaches are stupid, because value is subjective.  Simply because some talking head said he was a 3rd round pick a few months ago means that the NFL feels the same way?  No.  It just means the talking heads are usually behind the curve on this one.  Was Kevin King a reach a few years ago?  Was Jaire Alexander a reach last year?  No.  It's an asinine argument that needs to die a slow and painful death.  Rob Demovsky already reported that the Colts were seriously considering him with their pick, and the Ravens traded down after the Packers moved up for Savage.

Last year, Maryland finished 5-7 and wasn't eligible for bowl games.  How many people actually watched Maryland games?  Maybe a handful of posters here on a good day.  He was highly productive, and he tested well.  What more do you want?  So he's not the Taylor Mays of safety, and he didn't play for Ohio State.  That doesn't mean he's a bad safety.  You can be a good player on a bad team, and that doesn't take anything away from him.  Being late on him doesn't mean he's a reach.  He was going in the first round.  The question was to who?

A: The Wonderlic is a useless piece of garbage.
B: I want to preface this with this is not something I know but from a friend who knows someone in the Michigan program (so please take this with a massive grain of salt), but Gary is allegedly dyslexic so that would partially explain why his Wonderlic would even be low given the time restriction.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

B: I want to preface this with this is not something I know but from a friend who knows someone in the Michigan program (so please take this with a massive grain of salt), but Gary is allegedly dyslexic so that would partially explain why his Wonderlic would even be low given the time restriction.

I think people think the Wonderlic equates to football IQ for some reason. 

11 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I think people think the Wonderlic equates to football IQ for some reason. 

Just to try, I took a Wonderlic just now following the rules. Literally zero of these questions have anything to do with football or even reacting to football things. It's almost entirely multi-step arithmetic or number/word patterns.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Wonderlic is especially useless when you have someone with dyslexia or anything else that makes "reading texts" take longer, since the whole point of the test is "how quickly do you process written information."  It's sort of worse than useless since as these scores always come out (blame McGinn I guess) it serves no purpose beyond "point and laugh at the people with low numbers" when the people doing the mocking have literally no idea whether these people have any sort of learning disability, or no empathy for people who do.

• Like 1