2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

11 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Elliott Harrison on NFL network just said he doesn't know where the pass rush is going to come from for Green Bay. Said it with a straight face too. 

Has them 16 in the power rankings. 

Well, I for one think it’s a good thing that he, and perhaps others “don’t know where the pass rush is going to come from.”  It’s going to come from everywhere mutha fockers!!!  We’re going to attack like a bunch of spider monkeys, or like Arya, FFS!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Well, I for one think it’s a good thing that he, and perhaps others “don’t know where the pass rush is going to come from.”  It’s going to come from everywhere mutha fockers!!!  We’re going to attack like a bunch of spider monkeys, or like Arya, FFS!

:)

42 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Elliott Harrison on NFL network just said he doesn't know where the pass rush is going to come from for Green Bay. Said it with a straight face too. 

Has them 16 in the power rankings. 

I for one am glad everyone is sleeping on Green Bay. Seems to be when they play their best ball.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Someone got into the booze tonight lol

• Like 1

Gary>Burns.  This is about projection to the NFL.  Burns isn't near the player.  Sure he bulked up for the combine his legs look like toothpicks.  Personally I think he busts.  Allen was #1 and Bosa #2.  Gary is versatile.  Can play multiple positions.  He'll make an impact for sure probably a 6-8/yr sack guy but will be disruptive.  Guess they think he can also play OLB which is amazing considering his size.  Gary was the 4th best defensive player in draft IMO.  We got him at #12.  Like SSG I saw poor wonderlic and labrum tear and it stopped there.  Once we drafted him found out that he's actually pretty bright but has dyslexia. OK argument 1 gone.  On the shoulder it didn't need surgery and should be fine.  Argument 2 gone.  Watched a special on NFLN he's a real real good kid.  The Pack did their homework so we'll see if it pays off.

Savage and the trade up.  Listened to Gutes presser said for a fact he wouldn't be there at 30.  This was probably our most glaring need FS.  The kid is just electric.  Again like SSG was following all the reports.  Late riser a lot people were hopefully of getting him in the 3rd.  Then well he might not be there so at #44.  For sure at #30 right?  Nope.  I'll point out DK Greedy, Lock look where these guys ended up going.  Had Lock to Denver at #10.  Traded down multiple times then up and got him at #42.  Elway knew so did Schneider with DK.  Of all the picks he is my favorite.  Tough position to learn took Collins a few years before he broke out.  I am hoping Savage impacts a little faster than that.  Gute could have waited and picked up Thornhill at #44.  He felt it was worth it.  So we'll see how their career paths end up.  We wouldn't have got Savage without the trade up that's a fact.  

Jace looking at the measurables and you're like OK.  Watching him play he's smooth and has nice soft hands.  Great hands.  #3 TE in the draft IMO we got him at #75.  Good pick and he'll be just fine.  It will be interesting to measure him up against Hock in the future.  Minny took Oliver.  He won't be as good a Jace.

Jenkins should be a starter this year at G.  The kid is highly intelligent and athletic.  Expect him to be a fixture in the line for years to come.

Rest of the picks no opinion on.  Take a wait and see.  Think out of the above 4 we should get 3 starters for sure.  Gary, Savage, and Jenkins. Jace might take a year before he's ready.

We have a lot of new players coming in this year.  As Gute said it is important to come together as a team.  Very astute.  New coach, new offense, revamped defense.  Hopefully they will steadily improve as the year goes on. If they make the playoffs and are in good health this team could be dangerous.

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I care about the wonderlic to a certain extent.

More of the "Hm, this scored above 40something - I like him even more"

Use it more of a benchmark to increase someone's "grade" than to decrease it. Especially at QB, OL, ILB, WR and Safety.

I agree.  The wonderlic is a measure of intelligence.  All being equal you want to draft smart players.  Agree with the positions you listed too.  That is where you want your smart guys.

40 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Gary>Burns.  This is about projection to the NFL.  Burns isn't near the player.  Sure he bulked up for the combine his legs look like toothpicks.  Personally I think he busts.  Allen was #1 and Bosa #2.  Gary is versatile.  Can play multiple positions.  He'll make an impact for sure probably a 6-8/yr sack guy but will be disruptive.  Guess they think he can also play OLB which is amazing considering his size.  Gary was the 4th best defensive player in draft IMO.  We got him at #12.  Like SSG I saw poor wonderlic and labrum tear and it stopped there.  Once we drafted him found out that he's actually pretty bright but has dyslexia. OK argument 1 gone.  On the shoulder it didn't need surgery and should be fine.  Argument 2 gone.  Watched a special on NFLN he's a real real good kid.  The Pack did their homework so we'll see if it pays off.

Savage and the trade up.  Listened to Gutes presser said for a fact he wouldn't be there at 30.  This was probably our most glaring need FS.  The kid is just electric.  Again like SSG was following all the reports.  Late riser a lot people were hopefully of getting him in the 3rd.  Then well he might not be there so at #44.  For sure at #30 right?  Nope.  I'll point out DK Greedy, Lock look where these guys ended up going.  Had Lock to Denver at #10.  Traded down multiple times then up and got him at #42.  Elway knew so did Schneider with DK.  Of all the picks he is my favorite.  Tough position to learn took Collins a few years before he broke out.  I am hoping Savage impacts a little faster than that.  Gute could have waited and picked up Thornhill at #44.  He felt it was worth it.  So we'll see how their career paths end up.  We wouldn't have got Savage without the trade up that's a fact.  

Jace looking at the measurables and you're like OK.  Watching him play he's smooth and has nice soft hands.  Great hands.  #3 TE in the draft IMO we got him at #75.  Good pick and he'll be just fine.  It will be interesting to measure him up against Hock in the future.  Minny took Oliver.  He won't be as good a Jace.

Jenkins should be a starter this year at G.  The kid is highly intelligent and athletic.  Expect him to be a fixture in the line for years to come.

Rest of the picks no opinion on.  Take a wait and see.  Think out of the above 4 we should get 3 starters for sure.  Gary, Savage, and Jenkins. Jace might take a year before he's ready.

We have a lot of new players coming in this year.  As Gute said it is important to come together as a team.  Very astute.  New coach, new offense, revamped defense.  Hopefully they will steadily improve as the year goes on. If they make the playoffs and are in good health this team could be dangerous.

Regarding Savage and Gute’s claim that he wouldn’t have been there at #30.  How would he know this?  Teams protect their big boards and certainly don’t share who they’re definitively picking ahead of teams behind them.  They can “project” who teams “might” pick, but to say definitively that a team was going to scoop up Savage seems just south of audacious.  FYI - I’m not criticizing Gute - I’m just wondering how he’d know so certainly?

Gute may have gotten a call after the Savage pick was made. "You mf'er we were gonna take him. Same strip club after the combine next year ?" There's a hundred ways he could have found out. Why would he lie ? He offered up the info. Get over it. Maybe he'll draft a WR next year.

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Regarding Savage and Gute’s claim that he wouldn’t have been there at #30.  How would he know this?  Teams protect their big boards and certainly don’t share who they’re definitively picking ahead of teams behind them.  They can “project” who teams “might” pick, but to say definitively that a team was going to scoop up Savage seems just south of audacious.  FYI - I’m not criticizing Gute - I’m just wondering how he’d know so certainly?

I mean, they don't have their heads in the ground.  Can Gute know definitively that he wasn't going to be there at 30?  Possibly.  It's possible that a GM in the post-selection process mentioned that they were considering taking him sometime between 21 and 30?  Is it possible that one scout said to another scout along the way that Player X was high on their board?  Teams do their research on what other teams are expected to do.  They have a pretty damn good idea of what teams are going to do.  Every now and then you'll get a bit of a surprise, but it's not like teams are using a Magic 8 ball to make their picks.  Gute might not know definitively that Savage wouldn't make it to 30, but he's probably got a pretty good idea of the interest in Savage.

I mean, a bunch of the really tuned in draft analysts about a week and a half before the draft started saying things like "Darnell Savage is going in the 1st" or "NFL teams are way higher on Savage than I was initially".  Presumably they are hearing that from people they can identify with specific teams, even if they are bound by journalistic ethics to not say who.  It's not like NFL teams are so good at OpSec that other teams can't find out about this the same way Daniel Jeremiah does.

22 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Presumably they are hearing that from people they can identify with specific teams

The Athletic did an article on player rankings and compared how The Evaluators ranked players vs how The Forecasters ranked players. Some in the media are tuned into the Evaluators, some are tuned into the Forecasters. The Forecasters have insight into what teams are actually thinking, the Evaluators go more by their assessment of the players. Sometimes the scores are similar, sometimes not
One of the biggest discrepancies in this year's rankings was on Hakeem Butler.
The Evaluators had him going much higher than The Forecasters -  and of course, the Forecasters were correct because they're tuned into NFL personnel guys. The Evaluators are very good at discerning talent/traits/skills, The Forecasters are good at discerning draft position

Edited by Shanedorf

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, they don't have their heads in the ground.  Can Gute know definitively that he wasn't going to be there at 30?  Possibly.  It's possible that a GM in the post-selection process mentioned that they were considering taking him sometime between 21 and 30?  Is it possible that one scout said to another scout along the way that Player X was high on their board?  Teams do their research on what other teams are expected to do.  They have a pretty damn good idea of what teams are going to do.  Every now and then you'll get a bit of a surprise, but it's not like teams are using a Magic 8 ball to make their picks.  Gute might not know definitively that Savage wouldn't make it to 30, but he's probably got a pretty good idea of the interest in Savage.

I agree with your summary.  Yet, we keep hearing that Gute had knowledge that Savage was as good as gone by 30.  I suppose his “confidence” in this fact could be construed as “definitive” in his mind.  

Mostly, it struck me as curious that he, or any GM would publicly announce that they had to move up because they knew X player would be gone.  The Giants selected Jones on their firm belief he’d be gone, but they stopped short of saying they knew definitively that he’d be gone.  Be that as it may, I have no problem accepting Gute’s conclusion, and subsequently trading two 4ths to get their guy.  

7 hours ago, Golfman said:

Love how the NFL Network is trying to pretend the Bears had a good draft. You can't count Kalil Mack as part of your draft. The Bears were as good as they are going to be with Mack last year. They did not get better in the off season. They did not make up for the losses through the draft. They are a worse product right now than they were at the end of last year. 

All the teams in their division got better, some (Packers, perhaps the Lions) got a lot better. Their 1 year reign on the NFCN is over. Guaranteed! 

Does that mean next year they will also have a good draft since they also traded next year's first for him?

We should trade 10 first rounders for Donald, guaranteed A+ drafts for 10 years

• Like 2