2019 Draft Thoughts

Golfman

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Just to try, I took a Wonderlic just now following the rules. Literally zero of these questions have anything to do with football or even reacting to football things. It's almost entirely multi-step arithmetic or number/word patterns.

Things someone diagnosed with dyslexia would particularly struggle with especially during a timed test. 

It's not an issue. It literally takes just a minute of listening to the guy to know hes not an idiot. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Don't love the draft.  Seems like we got very little help for this 2019 team.  After strictly focusing on the defense over the last 3+ years it would have been nice to show some attention to the offense.  Don't like the idea of requiring AR12 to stand on his head every series because we're going into next year with less offense on the team than we had the year prior.  A season in which it was very clear that we did not have enough offensive talent to make it to the playoffs. 

I'm a big Michigan fan but IMO, Gary was a big reach.  Very concerned about his shoulder and his eye popping low wonderlic (one of the lowest scores in this year's draft).  

Don't mind Savage but IMO he's another reach and we gave up 3 of our top 6 picks for him.  How many people thought he was the best DB in college football last year after Maryland ended their season?  He wasn't a differance maker for a secondary that got tourched on a week in and week out basis.   Seems like he's being drafted that high based on very little other than his 40 time.  A good player but not the Derwin James caliber of safety that he was drafted to be

Don't love the Sternberger pick.  Have concerns that his production is the result of their offense seeing that his college production before getting to A&M was horrid.  He had to exit the D1 to get playing time and even then failed to impress at the JUCO level.  A really mediocre athlete never going to be able to run away from defenders or block in the NFL. 

Literally have come to terms with the fact you are the following type of poster:

1) Takes arm chair GM's as the holy gosspil in the draftnik community without doing any homework yourself (Walter football truther)

2) Are NEVER going to be satisfied with the Packers moves.

3) Will always find something to criticize with the Packers over something to root for.

If none of the above is true then you are just doing this for attention which wouldnt be surprising considering your username and the need to advertise your military service on a football forum. (I say this as a veteran myself)

Edited by Nick_gb
  • Like 5

Just now, wgbeethree said:

Things someone diagnosed with dyslexia would particularly struggle with especially during a timed test. 

It's not an issue. It literally takes just a minute of listening to the guy to know hes not an idiot. 

As someone who is an extremely fast reader and is fortunate enough to not have to deal with dyslexia, there were still questions I had to read more than once because they're also worded in an intentionally poor way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SSG said:

Don't love the draft.  Seems like we got very little help for this 2019 team.  After strictly focusing on the defense over the last 3+ years it would have been nice to show some attention to the offense.  Don't like the idea of requiring AR12 to stand on his head every series because we're going into next year with less offense on the team than we had the year prior.  A season in which it was very clear that we did not have enough offensive talent to make it to the playoffs. --Drafted 3 Wr's last year for the offense, they have been broken in now.  Should be ready to take off.

I'm a big Michigan fan but IMO, Gary was a big reach.  Very concerned about his shoulder and his eye popping low wonderlic (one of the lowest scores in this year's draft).  --He was no reach whatsoever.  He just comes with risk.  As an athlete, he is at the top of this draft class.  And we got him at #12.  We should be thankful that he was injured last year and didn't rack up the stats, or he would have been long gone.  And...Pettine likes those big boys.  And this is a large EDGE who can run.  He could be a very impactful rookie and he should sub into that rotation nicely.  Should be some cause for concern with the shoulder.  Guessing that GB doctors know more about it than you and I do.

Don't mind Savage but IMO he's another reach and we gave up 3 of our top 6 picks for him.  How many people thought he was the best DB in college football last year after Maryland ended their season?  He wasn't a differance maker for a secondary that got tourched on a week in and week out basis.   Seems like he's being drafted that high based on very little other than his 40 time.  A good player but not the Derwin James caliber of safety that he was drafted to be.  --Think of it this way, would you move two fourths to select the first safety/corner in a draft?  Hey, I wasn't a huge fan of the trade up either, but Gute/Pettine got THE GUY that they wanted at safety.  That's saying something.  Whether we armchair guys agree or not doesn't matter.  The guy in charge got the first pick at the secondary and took his guy.  That's good enough for me.

Don't love the Sternberger pick.  Have concerns that his production is the result of their offense seeing that his college production before getting to A&M was horrid.  He had to exit the D1 to get playing time and even then failed to impress at the JUCO level.  A really mediocre athlete never going to be able to run away from defenders or block in the NFL. --Surprisingly, he hit a lot of good metrics in testing for TE's.  With all the hype that Hock got, I'm not so sure that Jace is all that far behind him.  Of course, he is a rookie in GB at a skill position.  It's going to take time to develop him.  At least there is some ability there.  Give him some time.  Took J-Fin a few years, too.

There are 'pros" and "cons" to most selections, you hit the cons pretty good.  Let me try to add some pros to your list...to get you somewhat excited.

• Like 1

I care about the wonderlic to a certain extent.

More of the "Hm, this scored above 40something - I like him even more"

Use it more of a benchmark to increase someone's "grade" than to decrease it. Especially at QB, OL, ILB, WR and Safety.

Edited by incognito_man

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

We added 2 starting-caliber OGs, a top 75 pick at TE and versatile RB. We have 3 WRs poised for a potential year 2 breakout.

How do we possibly have "less offense" than 2018?

We lost a 38 rec, 380 yd, 2 TD WR and added what I mentioned above. You're nuts if you think this offense looks worse than 2018.

THIS, and the fact that it's literally impossible to project anything on Offense at this point when we have a brand new scheme. This offseason tells me the priority was clearly protect Rodgers, run the ball more and let the scheme get guys open.

Edited by gopackgo27
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gopackgo27 said:

THIS, and the fact that it's literally impossible to project anything on Offense at this point when we have a brand new scheme. This offseason tells me the priority was clearly protect Rodgers, run the ball more and let the scheme get guys open.

Good point. Probably 2nd in list of reasons why our offense will be better:

(1) Rodgers health

(2) New scheme (unscouted looks)

(3) Year 2 jump from MVS/ESB/Moore

(4) Competition at OG

(5) Graham growth/comfort + Tonyan jump + Jace

(6) Aaron Jones for 4 more weeks + Dexter Jackson addition

Made a mistake on the Walter grades. It was just Savage's grade that was an F. As a whole it wasn't that much better though.

Green Bay Packers: Rashan Gary, DE/DT, Michigan D Grade 
I can't really get behind this pick. Rashan Gary is insanely athletic and physically talented, but he was a huge disappointment as a player in Michigan. He also has some off-the-field concerns. There was speculation that Gary would fall to the 20s, which would've been a reasonable spot to select him. Not here, though. This is a major reach. If Gary couldn't produce in college, why would that suddenly happen when he has an NFL contract? 

Green Bay Packers: Darnell Savage, S, Maryland MAYOCK MALFUNCTION, FARMER FAIL, GRIGSON GAFFE, CERRATO SUCKAGE, BAALKE BLOOPER, CHIP TRAGEDY, KING CALAMITY, SASHI SUFFERIN SUCCOTASH Grade 
I hope you like the new addition to the "F" grade. It's well deserved after what happened at No. 4 tonight. 

This is an "F" grade all the way. Darnell Savage is a second-round prospect who may have snuck into the bottom end of the first round. There was absolutely no reason to move up nine spots for him. He, or someone very comparable to him, would've been available at No. 30 overall. I wouldn't have minded the Packers taking Savage had they remained at their own choice, but giving up resources for poor value is just a recipe for disaster.

Later picks got a better grade.

29 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Made a mistake on the Walter grades. It was just Savage's grade that was an F. As a whole it wasn't that much better though.

Green Bay Packers: Rashan Gary, DE/DT, Michigan D Grade 
I can't really get behind this pick. Rashan Gary is insanely athletic and physically talented, but he was a huge disappointment as a player in Michigan. He also has some off-the-field concerns. There was speculation that Gary would fall to the 20s, which would've been a reasonable spot to select him. Not here, though. This is a major reach. If Gary couldn't produce in college, why would that suddenly happen when he has an NFL contract? 

Green Bay Packers: Darnell Savage, S, Maryland MAYOCK MALFUNCTION, FARMER FAIL, GRIGSON GAFFE, CERRATO SUCKAGE, BAALKE BLOOPER, CHIP TRAGEDY, KING CALAMITY, SASHI SUFFERIN SUCCOTASH Grade 
I hope you like the new addition to the "F" grade. It's well deserved after what happened at No. 4 tonight. 

This is an "F" grade all the way. Darnell Savage is a second-round prospect who may have snuck into the bottom end of the first round. There was absolutely no reason to move up nine spots for him. He, or someone very comparable to him, would've been available at No. 30 overall. I wouldn't have minded the Packers taking Savage had they remained at their own choice, but giving up resources for poor value is just a recipe for disaster.

Later picks got a better grade.

I give them an F for failing at being savage here.

Love how the NFL Network is trying to pretend the Bears had a good draft. You can't count Kalil Mack as part of your draft. The Bears were as good as they are going to be with Mack last year. They did not get better in the off season. They did not make up for the losses through the draft. They are a worse product right now than they were at the end of last year. 

All the teams in their division got better, some (Packers, perhaps the Lions) got a lot better. Their 1 year reign on the NFCN is over. Guaranteed! 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Love how the NFL Network is trying to pretend the Bears had a good draft. You can't count Kalil Mack as part of your draft. The Bears were as good as they are going to be with Mack last year. They did not get better in the off season. They did not make up for the losses through the draft. They are a worse product right now than they were at the end of last year. 

All the teams in their division got better, some (Packers, perhaps the Lions) got a lot better. Their 1 year reign on the NFCN is over. Guaranteed! 

Careful, if you use that team's name three times their moronic fans will appear and start filling our forum with their tripe.

• Like 1