2019 7.39 (253) Washington Redskins select DE Jordan Brailford, Oklahoma State

Woz

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Watched some of his highlights on YouTube and I really don’t understand how he made it to the 7th? His burst off the line is ridiculous and he seems to have some good pass rushing moves. Just doesn’t make sense to me...

Yeah I don't get it either. He looks good on film. I think his height and weight could have scared some teams.

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Watched some of his highlights on YouTube and I really don’t understand how he made it to the 7th? His burst off the line is ridiculous and he seems to have some good pass rushing moves. Just doesn’t make sense to me...

Link I put up in the day 3 thread summed up as to why he was probably found in the 7th.

He can be clumsy in some situations and lose balance in close contact. He is not the best off the ball and sometimes is the last defender out of his stance. He has improved with his range and his pass coverage, but it still has a lot of work as he was only utilized for that purpose his last season at Oklahoma State. His biggest motion issue is lateral quickness and range laterally. Durability is a question mark as he went through a lot of injuries as evidenced by his sixth-year of eligibility awarded by the NCAA.

That "last out his stance" is a killer. If he was last on a college line. Think how slow that makes him to pros.

4 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Link I put up in the day 3 thread summed up as to why he was probably found in the 7th.

That "last out his stance" is a killer. If he was last on a college line. Think how slow that makes him to pros.

Yeah, probably just a special teams player. Most likely he’s on the practice squad this year. I think our OLB depth goes like this:

ROLB: Montez Sweat, Ryan Anderson, Andrew Ankrah (maybe practice squad instead of on the roster)

LOLB: Ryan Kerrigan, Cassanova McKinzy, Jordan Brailford (practice squad)

Edited by turtle28

Ehh, he looks like a really good combine athlete. He definitely has an impressive burst and he can bend the edge to finish if you let him. And the effort is there.

But he plays extremely high. And he doesn’t appear to use his arms/hands effectively at all, he basically just tries to run around blockers. When they get their hands on him, they control him completely — which is related to both of those issues. He also seems to struggle to change directions and redirect, again probably because he plays so high and without much knee bend.

My take may be a little skewed because one of the games I watched was him getting dominated by Dalton Risner from Kansas State. Who is awesome. He reminds me of Jon Jansen, a true traditional RT in the best sense. And he even gave Montez Sweat some trouble, so there’s no huge shame in losing to Risner. But it was not a remotely fair fight, and Brailford will see a lot of tackles like that in the NFL. I’d be concerned that he mostly beat guys he outclassed physically in college, and won’t be able to offer anything against guys who are his equal or better athletes  

Okie State did an interesting thing with him where they lined him up over the center and basically just turned him loose to run toward the ball at the snap. That might bode well for him as a 3-4 OLB, in the sense that they clearly noticed what I did about him playing high and just tried to take the “3 point stance, hand in the dirt” thing totally out of the equation. He was very slow getting up out of the 3-point stance, so maybe playing standing up will at least allow him to get off the ball faster?

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Huh, that's interesting. Because when I was looking over the roster last night, both Brailford and Kelvin Harmon are in a separate section of the team's roster (it's still true as of right now):

https://www.redskins.com/team/players-roster/ (scroll all the way to the bottom)

Didn't think much of it beyond "oh, I guess those two haven't signed their deals yet." But that's not the case so ... aroo? The other draft picks and UDFAs are in the main section of the roster layout.