2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

17 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on linebacker Justin Strnad from Wake Forrest?  I keep coming up with him in mocks at TDN and wondered what others thought.

As a crude guide, here are ILBs roughly grouped into more run-stoppers and more coverage guys. Alongside their grouping is their listed height/weight and current . TDN draft position. Obviously the higher rated guys should be better overall. sometimes the demarcation is not ideal, but it should be a guide to targets at ILB.
Run stoppers.
(29)   Kenneth Murray 6'2", 234                                   
(79)   Jordyn Brooks 6'1", 245
(85)   Malik Harrison 6'3", 246
(106) Evan Weaver 6'2", 234
(135) Markus Bailey 6'1", 240
(140) Kemal Martin 6'2", 245
(148) David Woodward 6'2", 235
(153) Joe Bachie Jr. 6'2", 231
(163) Shaquille Quarterman 6'1", 241
(169) Jacob Phillips 6'4", 233 

Coverage types
(28)  Patrick Queen 6'1", 227
(87)  Troy Dye 6'4", 225
(111) Akeem Davis-Gaither 6'2", 219  @FinneasGage mentioned him.    https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/akeem-davis-gaither/dcTgGF2o24
(174) Justin Strnad 6'3", 235    https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/justin-strnad/wIIAlTsmNq  would translate to approx Packers 5th round pick
(185) Mohamed Barry 6'1", 245
(198) Francis Bernard 6'1", 230
(218) Davion Taylor 6'1", 224
(301) Logan Wilson 6'2", 241  
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/logan-wilson/yBQTFBVZI0

Possible safety targets for S/ILB hybrids. I only picked safeties over 200lb, you could equally have cut those numbers down to 210+ guys.
(23) Grant Delpit 6'3", 201

(59) Kyle Dugger 6'1", 217
(92) Brandon Jones 6'0", 205
(139) Jeremy Chinn 6'3", 219
(161) Antoine Brooks 5'11", 213
(165) Reggie Floyd 6'0", 222

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

As a crude guide, here are ILBs roughly grouped into more run-stoppers and more coverage guys. Alongside their grouping is their listed height/weight and current . TDN draft position. Obviously the higher rated guys should be better overall. sometimes the demarcation is not ideal, but it should be a guide to targets at ILB.
Run stoppers.
(29)   Kenneth Murray 6'2", 234                                   
(79)   Jordyn Brooks 6'1", 245
(85)   Malik Harrison 6'3", 246
(106) Evan Weaver 6'2", 234
(135) Markus Bailey 6'1", 240
(140) Kemal Martin 6'2", 245
(148) David Woodward 6'2", 235
(153) Joe Bachie Jr. 6'2", 231
(163) Shaquille Quarterman 6'1", 241
(169) Jacob Phillips 6'4", 233 

Coverage types
(28)  Patrick Queen 6'1", 227
(87)  Troy Dye 6'4", 225
(111) Akeem Davis-Gaither 6'2", 219  @FinneasGage mentioned him.    https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/akeem-davis-gaither/dcTgGF2o24
(174) Justin Strnad 6'3", 235    https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/justin-strnad/wIIAlTsmNq  would translate to approx Packers 5th round pick
(185) Mohamed Barry 6'1", 245
(198) Francis Bernard 6'1", 230
(218) Davion Taylor 6'1", 224

Possible safety targets for S/ILB hybrids. I only picked safeties over 200lb, you could equally have cut those numbers down to 210+ guys.
(23) Grant Delpit 6'3", 201

(59) Kyle Dugger 6'1", 217
(92) Brandon Jones 6'0", 205
(139) Jeremy Chinn 6'3", 219
(161) Antoine Brooks 5'11", 213
(165) Reggie Floyd 6'0", 222

ILB Logan Wilson can probably be added to the coverage types list.  Really good instincts, just not quite as athletic as the upper level guys.  Ranked 267 by TDN, which seems really low for him.  PFF has him ranked as the 9th best LB in their position rankings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

ILB Logan Wilson can probably be added to the coverage types list.  Really good instincts, just not quite as athletic as the upper level guys.  Ranked 267 by TDN, which seems really low for him.  PFF has him ranked as the 9th best LB in their position rankings.

Love logan wilson! 

Except we will need that so-called "extra gear" that Wilson apparently lacks. Will be interesting to see what is 40 time will be, but I think we already have a couple guys just like him on the roster, only with that "extra gear."

I like going the Safety route with this one, in particular with Jeremy Chinn. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jeremy-chinn/LBtJPoKRIv

His weakness is really man coverage but we play man so infrequently that he may excel in role similar to the Star role that Woodson played in his latter years with us, but he may be better served putting on 10-15 lb.s in order to fill the hole that will probably be left by Martinez given his effort in the run game.

Out of that first group above, I really think we need to take a long hard look at both Weaver and Phillips. The scouting report on Phillips strongly suggests that he just needs some coaching and some quality reps. The better news is that he can be a ST's ace in the meantime at worst. Rhetorically speaking, why wouldn't you take that in the 5th or 6th; especially given our personnel issues in that area. 

In any event, it really sounds like we can find multiple guys on Day 3 that can fit the bill though we'll see where the combine puts us.

I think overlooking Antoine Winfield Jr. is a mistake, only 5'10", but 205, good tackler, ball hawk, punt returner, and just has that "it" factor like his father, regardless of size.  Not sure if he can play slot, but he is going to be a impact  player and probably available in Rd. 3 or 4.

• Like 1

If Dugger runs 4.4 , 40” vert, and 10’11” long jump he will be a mover on those lists after the combine. Where he can play in the NFL depends on short area quickness so the verdict isn’t in yet. I suspect he will struggle a bit early with game speed, but off the charts potential. There’s that word I hate seeing attached to early draft choices. The P word. 

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

Except we will need that so-called "extra gear" that Wilson apparently lacks. Will be interesting to see what is 40 time will be, but I think we already have a couple guys just like him on the roster, only with that "extra gear."

I like going the Safety route with this one, in particular with Jeremy Chinn. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jeremy-chinn/LBtJPoKRIv

His weakness is really man coverage but we play man so infrequently that he may excel in role similar to the Star role that Woodson played in his latter years with us, but he may be better served putting on 10-15 lb.s in order to fill the hole that will probably be left by Martinez given his effort in the run game.

Out of that first group above, I really think we need to take a long hard look at both Weaver and Phillips. The scouting report on Phillips strongly suggests that he just needs some coaching and some quality reps. The better news is that he can be a ST's ace in the meantime at worst. Rhetorically speaking, why wouldn't you take that in the 5th or 6th; especially given our personnel issues in that area. 

In any event, it really sounds like we can find multiple guys on Day 3 that can fit the bill though we'll see where the combine puts us.

I definitely wouldn't grab Wilson early.  For me right now I wouldn't take him before the 5th round, but we'll see how he does at the combine.

I would LOVE to end up with Evan Weaver.  All the guy does is make tackle after tackle, and he actually brings guys down instead of making the initial hit and going for a 3-5 yard ride afterward.  The thing with him is he looks slow when he's playing, but his speed is deceptive and he takes great angles.  He's also really not that bad in coverage from what I've seen so far (still watching film on him).

2 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

I definitely wouldn't grab Wilson early.  For me right now I wouldn't take him before the 5th round, but we'll see how he does at the combine.

I would LOVE to end up with Evan Weaver.  All the guy does is make tackle after tackle, and he actually brings guys down instead of making the initial hit and going for a 3-5 yard ride afterward.  The thing with him is he looks slow when he's playing, but his speed is deceptive and he takes great angles.  He's also really not that bad in coverage from what I've seen so far (still watching film on him).

Unlike Justin Blacklock...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Joe said:

Unlike Justin Blacklock...

Watched some of him last night.  He has some nice pass rushing moves, and while he gets good push in the run game and doesn't lose ground, most of the time he gets caught up fighting with the linemen and completely loses track of where the ball carrier is.  I saw quite a few reps where the play was going one way and he just kept on fighting up field on the complete opposite side of the play.

• Like 1

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Dudes: Go vote in goldfishwars' draft poll, the vote is very close and needs a few more voters to settle it

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/25261-2020-ff-consensus-mock-draft-pick-30-green-bay-packers/

Man, that made me look at Neville Gallimore.  Dude looks like a 7 year veteran.  How old is this man?

BUQZWENXUEZEHDN.20190717170202.jpg