2020 NFL Draft Discussion

CWood21

18 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

If there's a to 32 graded tackle when we pick in the first, you take him.
If there's a to 32 graded IDL when we pick in the first, you take him.
If there's a to 10 graded QB when we pick in the first, you take him.
If there's a to 25 graded CB when we pick in the first, you take him.

If none of those are available, THEN you can consider WR/ILB/IOL in the first round.  So long as we pick later than 24th overall.  If we pick earlier than 24th overall, either trade up to get OT, IDL, CB, QBOTF, or trade down to 25th-32nd. 

This year it's that simple. 

An outpost post with oversimplified absolutes...draft season must be around the corner!

To be clear, before this comes off as unprovoked hostility, I have stated many times in the past that I usually agree with your line of logic and reasoning, but disagree with the extreme hardline conclusions from them. E.g. what if a top 20 EDGE comes available or top 3 RB. There's danger in being so rigid. 

30 minutes ago, chillparsi1 said:

An outpost post with oversimplified absolutes...draft season must be around the corner!

To be clear, before this comes off as unprovoked hostility, I have stated many times in the past that I usually agree with your line of logic and reasoning, but disagree with the extreme hardline conclusions from them. E.g. what if a top 20 EDGE comes available or top 3 RB. There's danger in being so rigid. 

There's no such thing as a Top 3 RB

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Who thinks Tua's gonna stay in school?

Admittedly Tua is wired as ****, but I think that's extremely unlikely for two reasons:

1. He's seen the injury possibility. As micromanaging as Daddy Tua is, you can bet they've ha had the conversation with the DAC and the bankers.

2. He doesn't want to block his younger brother from starting

16 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

Top 20 EDGE?  No thanks.  We've got Smith, Smith and Gary.  Top 5 EDGE and you've got me thinking. 

RB?  In this draft?  Aaron Jones is elite in every category this year and we've also got Jamaal Williams.  Yeah, I suppose if Ezekiel Elliot falls all the way to our pick you pick him.  Only if you can trade Aaron Jones for a first round pick though.  Especially with Aaron's allergy to them. 

More and more Rodgers is back to throwing that first dumpoff just so he can say he throws to backs and then he's obligated to throw to them on screen passes, but he is never going to regularly throw to them. 

There is zero reason for us to draft a RB in the first round of this draft. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

There is zero reason for us to draft a RB in the first round of this draft. 

Maybe not in round one, I'll agree with that, especially given the often short lifespan of RBs and the Packers several starter-level needs elsewhere.

After round one there could be real value, even best value left on the board, so from round two on I'm ok with a RB, and past round three I think they are often one of the better positional picks (see Williams and Jones).

35 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Maybe not in round one, I'll agree with that, especially given the often short lifespan of RBs and the Packers several starter-level needs elsewhere. After round one there could be real value, even best value left on the board, so from round two on I'm ok with a RB, and past round three I think they are often one of the better positional picks (see Williams and Jones).

Cant say the GBPs arent getting return on their investments into Aaron Jones (Pk 182 / Rd5) and Jamaal Williams (Pk 134 / Rd4) - but - where would we be if these were the chosen investments?

Josh Jacobs - Pk 24 / Rd 1
Dalvin Cook - Pk 41 / Rd 2
Alvin Kamara - Pk 67 / Rd 3

Now - these are completely random selections and the years they were drafted wasnt figured in to this comment - just reviewing the spread of talent and when it was taken.

I think it safe to say there's some surprise in the return we're actually getting from Jones. Whomever eyeballed that college talent and pulled the trigger is to be commended but I'm not sure anybody pegged him for the playmaker he's become. Regardless, does anybody doubt the offense would be just that much better if Cook was lining up behind/alongside AR? Personally, I think he makes Minnesota's offense work.

There's talent to be had at the RB position. Second contracts and long term commitment is a separate consideration from pulling the trigger early on a cant miss prospect. 

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Just draft fatties and some WR / TE talent. Maybe throw a QB in if one falls.

Well....based on the (supposed) TE development cycle - next year's TE investment is 2021's return on investment.
Not saying an infusion of talent at the position isnt (or wont be) necessary....just saying.

Tonyan/Sternberger...or Sternberger/Tonyan is looking like our TE pairing next year.

Just now, Leader said:

Well....based on the (supposed) TE development cycle

This isn't a Me thing.  Everybody knows this.  It's not some wild conspiracy theory. 

The best season out of a rookie TE this year is 35 catches for 492 yards on 59 targets.  He has 3 touchdowns. 

That puts him about equal with Jimmy Graham.  So a first round TE talent who is having the production of Jimmy Graham. 

Best rookie season 2018 - 39 catches, 492 yards, 4 TD
2017 - Engram 64 receptions on 115 targets, 6 TD(this is an outlier often repeated by Eli Manning and the Giants).  Next best that year was Kittle with 43 receptions and now he's the best TE in football.
2016 - 36 receptions (Henry)
2015 (Will Tye for the Giants again).  After that it was Maxx Williams for the Ravens at 32. 

Since 2000, only 13 tight ends have had 42 receptions or more in their rookie year.  Three of them were for the Giants and Eli Manning (Shockey, Engram, Will Tye). 

So if you take those three out as Eli Manning exceptions, here are the 10 rookie tight ends to have 42 receptions or more in their rookie seasons:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2000&year_max=2019&season_start=1&season_end=1&pos[]=te&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2019&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=qb&draft_pos[]=rb&draft_pos[]=wr&draft_pos[]=te&draft_pos[]=e&draft_pos[]=t&draft_pos[]=g&draft_pos[]=c&draft_pos[]=ol&draft_pos[]=dt&draft_pos[]=de&draft_pos[]=dl&draft_pos[]=ilb&draft_pos[]=olb&draft_pos[]=lb&draft_pos[]=cb&draft_pos[]=s&draft_pos[]=db&draft_pos[]=k&draft_pos[]=p&c5val=1.0&order_by=rec

More important than all that, Aaron Rodgers flat out does not throw to tight ends.