Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

These ladies in the chamber match look jet lagged. Moving at 70% speed and it makes everything look super fake.

Well, that and... while I don't expect it from Nikki or Liv, in a way I don't put it past some of them half-arsing it because why put your body on the line and risk injury in a country where the most progressive thing they've allowed in women appearing on this program is that they don't have to wear oversized t-shirts over their full-body-covering outfits.

I'm genuinely shocked they didn't make Ronda cover her feet - which would have looked even more ridiculous than the unitard they made her wear under her gi.

8 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

So we finally done with Goldberg now?

God willing.  But probably not.  As long as they're giving him a ~$1m payout to appear in Saudi Arabia, he'll turn up once or twice a year to collect the check for 10 minutes total of work.

Just now, Dr LBC said:

Well, that and... while I don't expect it from Nikki or Liv, in a way I don't put it past some of them half-arsing it because why put your body on the line and risk injury in a country where the most progressive thing they've allowed in women appearing on this program is that they don't have to wear oversized t-shirts over their full-body-covering outfits.

I'm genuinely shocked they didn't make Ronda cover her feet - which would have looked even more ridiculous than the unitard they made her wear under her gi.

I wonder if the women get a choice, like Sami and KO? Or are they just getting buried and squashed for a year if they want to opt out of the Saudi trips?

All in all, I don't hate the results that came out of EC.  Ho hum on some of the execution, but it certainly could have been worse.

Fully believe the Lashley concussion bit was a work, and it's a good way of protecting Lashley without paying off Brock actually going over him until a later gate (sorry, but I'm just not in favor of any of that stuff going down in Saudi ever).

Not sure I would have booked the finish of the Becky/Lita match the same, knowing that Bianca was the anointed challenger for Mania.

Drew/Happy Bros - Is what it is.  I get that they like Corbin and he's a good hand and foil, but I hate his current character (in an X-Pac heat way) and hate Moss' even more (you won't be able to convince me that the character isn't a rib).

Mysterio vs Miz, I'll be honest I didn't even see.  It was a "we're giving you, "names" because Taker is retired, Hunter is out indefinitely with health concerns, and we "budgetary cut" a lot of our supplement old guys that you Saudis love" match where they put the babyface over.  It could have been worse; with how much they love giants over there, we could have seen green-as-snot Olmos thrown into something just to give them that.

Why exactly were the Usos flown over (other than the fact that Jey's wife was also booked) other than to maybe move Bloodline merch at a FanFest?  They weren't used and weren't needed in Roman's match with Goldberg and then the unnecessary SD tag title match was thrown out.  It's pretty clear that had Woods not gotten injured this would have been another Usos/New Day match, but... you have three New Day members and you reunited them for a reason...

Seth and AJ were about as protected as they could be once Brock hit the Chamber match (Seth especially).  Riddle's not being booked as a single in a way to worry about his heat or credibility - i.e. he has Orton to prop him up and he's been booked 50%+ of the time in comedy stuff with Alpha Academy - and Theory doesn't lose any steam getting wrecked by Brock.  And actually removing Lashley before his pod is even released helped not have to have either of Seth or AJ have to sell heavily for Lashley to help build the heat for when Brock finally got released.  And Brock prematurely kicking his way out of the pod was a nice gimmick that can - but-doesn't have to - give a payoff in the month-plus we have till Mania.

Closing Ceremonies for the Winter Olympics are tomorrow night, so RAW will be back on USA Network on Monday, and they're actually setting themselves up really well.  Do I have confidence that they'll execute it the way they could?  Probably not.  But the potential is there.

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Cant believe they pulled Bobby out of that match and didnt have Cody replace him. 

I can.  No reason to payoff the Saudis - plus, Jeddah is still a casual crowd by-and-large.  If you actually want to make someone of the Cody signing, you want a hot crowd (or as close as WWE can get these days).  You also don't want to sacrifice Cody to Brock on his debut (and yeah, Brock was going over - that much was clear as soon as they booked the match coming off the RAW after the Rumble).

34 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I wonder if the women get a choice, like Sami and KO? Or are they just getting buried and squashed for a year if they want to opt out of the Saudi trips?

Depend on their cache with Vince, I'd expect.  Closest to having it that aren't the current main eventers (Becky and Charlotte) I would expect to be Rhea (though Vince appears to have faded on her - and I blame Johnny Ace for this - and Alexa and Biaca... though the fact that Charlotte and Becky are willing to work it probably aren't helping their cases.  Other than them - probably exactly what you said, which is why Nikki and Liv are along so willingly.  And Bianca being willing to go may honestly have been what made the decision to put her over in the match - because I can't help but notice a lack of Street Profits (and Bianca's military veteran husband) on the show despite being incredibly over with casual crowds.

To be honest, considering how much of a rep for LGBT rights she has been (including for the company), I'm a bit disappointed that Sonya took the booking, considering SA's policies on same-sex relations; I kind of don't doubt (or I'd like to give her credit for it) that's why Shayna's never let herself be booked there (I think that was why she had no problem putting Doudrop over in the Queen's Crown tournament because the finals were in Jeddah).  But I'm even more disappointed that the E would even put Sonya, someone they've made money off of her orientation and advocacy for her community, in that situation to begin with..

21 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

I can.  No reason to payoff the Saudis - plus, Jeddah is still a casual crowd by-and-large.  If you actually want to make someone of the Cody signing, you want a hot crowd (or as close as WWE can get these days).  You also don't want to sacrifice Cody to Brock on his debut (and yeah, Brock was going over - that much was clear as soon as they booked the match coming off the RAW after the Rumble).

I get the Saudi piece. Personally wouldn't have a major program in such a morally bankrupt place anyways but that's neither here nor there. Let's ignore the location for a hot minute. I don't think you have Cody go over Brock. Here is why I think pulling Bobby for Cody could have been a massive move. 1. You have Cody get heel heat real fast by screwing Brock. As a late entry, have him bring something into the chamber like a sledge to continue the HHH heat a little bit. Have him use that to get past Brock with the help of Austin Theory also going low etc etc. 2. Brock already has a match at Mania, so you can let this simmer 3. It allows for an easy WM match with Bobby Lashley which then can lead to a match with Brock at Summerslam which could then potentially lead to a program with HHH if he is ever ring ready again. Basically it sets Cody up for the major storylines his price tag warrants to the next Mania season. 

I just don't see how Cody can make the waves his anticipated debut expectations warrant at this point. Makes me feel like this is a bungling waiting to happen. 

14 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Depend on their cache with Vince, I'd expect.  Closest to having it that aren't the current main eventers (Becky and Charlotte) I would expect to be Rhea (though Vince appears to have faded on her - and I blame Johnny Ace for this - and Alexa and Biaca... though the fact that Charlotte and Becky are willing to work it probably aren't helping their cases.  Other than them - probably exactly what you said, which is why Nikki and Liv are along so willingly.  And Bianca being willing to go may honestly have been what made the decision to put her over in the match - because I can't help but notice a lack of Street Profits (and Bianca's military veteran husband) on the show despite being incredibly over with casual crowds.

To be honest, considering how much of a rep for LGBT rights she has been (including for the company), I'm a bit disappointed that Sonya took the booking, considering SA's policies on same-sex relations; I kind of don't doubt (or I'd like to give her credit for it) that's why Shayna's never let herself be booked there (I think that was why she had no problem putting Doudrop over in the Queen's Crown tournament because the finals were in Jeddah).  But I'm even more disappointed that the E would even put Sonya, someone they've made money off of her orientation and advocacy for her community, in that situation to begin with..

The male wrestlers should wrestle in similar outfits until the females can wear their usual gear. This doesn't have to just be the women potentially hurting their careers. The men can help too in a way that wouldn't impact their booking. They just all need to agree to be allies. 

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

The male wrestlers should wrestle in similar outfits until the females can wear their usual gear. This doesn't have to just be the women potentially hurting their careers. The men can help too in a way that wouldn't impact their booking. They just all need to agree to be allies. 

I'd agree, but they also should have a union... and we've seen how any mention of that has been treated in the industry (let alone by this particular company)...

13 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I get the Saudi piece. Personally wouldn't have a major program in such a morally bankrupt place anyways but that's neither here nor there. Let's ignore the location for a hot minute. I don't think you have Cody go over Brock. Here is why I think pulling Bobby for Cody could have been a massive move. 1. You have Cody get heel heat real fast by screwing Brock. As a late entry, have him bring something into the chamber like a sledge to continue the HHH heat a little bit. Have him use that to get past Brock with the help of Austin Theory also going low etc etc. 2. Brock already has a match at Mania, so you can let this simmer 3. It allows for an easy WM match with Bobby Lashley which then can lead to a match with Brock at Summerslam which could then potentially lead to a program with HHH if he is ever ring ready again. Basically it sets Cody up for the major storylines his price tag warrants to the next Mania season. 

I just don't see how Cody can make the waves his anticipated debut expectations warrant at this point. Makes me feel like this is a bungling waiting to happen. 

I still feel like this was Cody eyeing the glitz of "making a splash" again and not really thinking much past that.

This can be booked successfully - and doesn't even necessarily have to mean Roman puts him over (at least not early on) - but I don't trust Vince, Bruce, and Johnny to piece this together.  If they were letting Heyman book this, he could do it.  You legit book Cody like a Hall/Nash/Madusa showing up on Nitro and you make him a heel; you even use him to flip someone currently a heel who is over with the fans in order to help further the angle (Seth would be an interesting one).

If it were me, I'd get him wins against some established guys that can absorb taking the losses with losing credibility or heat (AJ would be one and, honestly - mostly because we know Vince doesn't see anything in him anymore and if I'm booking this I'm booking it with Cody's long-term success in mind principally, Finn) before giving Cody a heavy.  And that heavy, for me, would be either a repacked Dijak or, because he's likely done with his senior college year at that point and can still develop while learning from Cody (and Cody's a good trainer so this is mutually beneficial): Gable Stevenson.

Like I'd said in an earlier post, I'd personally debut Cody on Smackdown, but that being said, I wouldn't have him start out his return programs on Smackdown.  I'd build him up on RAW (probably even give him the MITB case so that he can heelish-ly steal a World Title off of whoever comes out of the Mania ME circa Summer Slam*) and use him as the eventual means to turning Roman face (not white meat babyface - I think you've got to keep him more in the Austin, or at "most-baby" Rock vein) after Cody assembles his own "bloodline" of sorts.  Make it a pseudo-Legacy/Evolution faction, nothing big, but similar to the bloodline in efficiency (maybe this is where you elevate Breaker and have him worth under his real surname?).

Basically, you don't put over AEW, but you also don't outright bury them either (because you don't have the credibility to do it unless you're going uber-nostalgia).  You present Cody as a guy who left to build and build up another company - and don't put over saying he "made them direct competition" even though in many senses they are), but that after doing that, he came back to save a company that clearly has fallen to pieces since he left - voluntarily (which he did, he asked for his release and was granted it, and that much did get publicized, so worked kayfabe it).  Let him work the savior angle.  Let Roman heel is up and be dismissive of it at first, the "I'd forgotten who you were/weren't you (veiled Stardust reference" stuff... and around Survivor Series (no titles on the line, but they do the champion vs champion stuff) you have Cody and his faction beat the everloving piss out of the Bloodline, kayfabe injure Roman to take the title off him (assuming he still has it) and keep him off TV until the Rumble match (you'll get a Cena '08 pop on his return if you book it right).

Alright, alright, alright. 

If you were drafting a Men's wrestling promotion, and you can take any wrestler from any promotion, who are your top 15 picks?
Then give me 6 tag teams. They don't have to be existing teams. You could pair up Brock with Orange Cassidy if you wanted to.
Then give me your inaugural HW Champ, TV champ, and Tag champs. 

27 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

If you were drafting a Men's wrestling promotion, and you can take any wrestler from any promotion, who are your top 15 picks?
Then give me 6 tag teams. They don't have to be existing teams. You could pair up Brock with Orange Cassidy if you wanted to.

1 KO
2 AJ
3 Bryan Danielson
4 Roman
5 Omega
6 Malakai
7 MJF
8 Keith Lee
9 Big E
10 Adam Cole
11 Sami Z
12 Wardlow
13 Seth Rollins
14 Austin Theory
15 Sammy G

1 FTR
2 Montez Ford + Dante Martin 
3 Ricochet + Moose 
4 Steiner + Pac
5 Lucha Bros
6 Hook + Drew

HW Champ - BD
TV Champ - Malakai
Tag Champ - FTR 

Announce team is Taz, Eddie Kingston, and Pat McAfee.

Edited by Jeezla

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

In no particular order

Kenny Omega
Roman Reigns
Hang Man
MJF
Okada
Brian Danielson
Adam Cole
Keith Lee
Tanahashi
Ibushi
Seth Rollins