Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I don’t care if it’s 2 minutes or 20 minutes anything involving Austin I will watch. Can’t wait.  

yep. wearing my austin shirt on saturday when i go. staying through monday night.  going to both nights of WM in arlington then headed to Dallas for Raw.  I'm excited. 

Noticed sometime during Dynamite for the first time and can't really get it out of the back of my head.

Literally nobody else on the entire male roster of AEW really has a "gimmick". At most they are over the top caricatures. Then out of nowhere there's randomly Tarzan and a dinosaur. I think it's stupid and I don't like it.

I don't follow WWE closely enough to know if there's anything like that there but nothing springs to mind. Bray Wyatt's (and Alexa Bliss'?) The Fiend is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head and obviously he's not there anymore. 

16 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

Noticed sometime during Dynamite for the first time and can't really get it out of the back of my head.

Literally nobody else on the entire male roster of AEW really has a "gimmick". At most they are over the top caricatures. Then out of nowhere there's randomly Tarzan and a dinosaur. I think it's stupid and I don't like it.

I don't follow WWE closely enough to know if there's anything like that there but nothing springs to mind. Bray Wyatt's (and Alexa Bliss'?) The Fiend is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head and obviously he's not there anymore. 

Malakai? 

I don't know how many gimmicks there are but a lot of people have characters which is more important.

2 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Hes a luchadore. I don't feel like they push you to believe he's an actual dinosaur

On 3/6/2022 at 8:11 PM, Deadpulse said:

it was way too long

Have you met AEW? [/sarcasm]

Given the fact that it's the best developed storyline they had going, involving two of their premier guys, it should have gotten the most time on the show of any match.  That's Booking 101.

Honestly, the only thing I didn't like was the thumbtacks - which, admittedly, is because I didn't feel they did anything for the match and there really hasn't been a creative thumbtack spot that lent anything to the match it took place in other than an "Oh, did you see this?" conversation meme that lasted maybe a month since the Jericho/Moxley match back in WWE that also involved the damn potted plant.  Genuinely, thumbtacks are as played out and blassez as kendo sticks (that aren't and never have been actual kendo sticks - because no one wants their effing ribs broken) in wrestling now.

11 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Malakai

I'd argue his character is an over the top caricature of an occultist which would be him turned up to 12/an 80s Midwestern housewife's idea of what an occultist would be. I feel like Evil Uno's original cult leader thing would be more gimmicky than Malakai but that's not how he's portrayed any more.

9 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

Hes a luchadore. I don't feel like they push you to believe he's an actual dinosaur

They literally bring up him being a dinosaur every match even if it's kind of wink wink. The lucha bros are "just" luchadores (maybe whatever they are trying to do with Alex A could be considered a gimmick now that I think about it.). Fuego is "just" a luhcadore. Luchasaurus is kayfabe presented as a dinosaur who wrestles in the luchadore style. Serpentico kinda has the "snakeman" luchadore gimmick but they don't really insinuate he's a snake and he's not really featured. 

I just found it odd and offputting that there's really only those two guys in prominent spots in wrestling right now that have overly gimmicky gimmicks which makes them seem really out of place to me. It's 99% characters and then those two.

12 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I'd argue his character is an over the top caricature of an occultist which would be him turned up to 12/an 80s Midwestern housewife's idea of what an occultist would be. I feel like Evil Uno's original cult leader thing would be more gimmicky than Malakai but that's not how he's portrayed any more.

They literally bring up him being a dinosaur every match even if it's kind of wink wink. The lucha bros are "just" luchadores (maybe whatever they are trying to do with Alex A could be considered a gimmick now that I think about it.). Fuego is "just" a luhcadore. Luchasaurus is kayfabe presented as a dinosaur who wrestles in the luchadore style. Serpentico kinda has the "snakeman" luchadore gimmick but they don't really insinuate he's a snake and he's not really featured. 

I just found it odd and offputting that there's really only those two guys in prominent spots in wrestling right now that have overly gimmicky gimmicks which makes them seem really out of place to me. It's 99% characters and then those two.

I miss how guys would develop these personalities. Razor, Jake, Macho, JYD, Hillbilly Jim. And an all time fav of mine. Papa Shango.

Do you want such gone completely? Or would you rather have like me. More of it so it blends in with the show better. Doesnt stand out like you mentioned. Cause I agree they do stand out a bit in this format.

58 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I miss how guys would develop these personalities. Razor, Jake, Macho, JYD, Hillbilly Jim. And an all time fav of mine. Papa Shango.

Do you want such gone completely? Or would you rather have like me. More of it so it blends in with the show better. Doesnt stand out like you mentioned. Cause I agree they do stand out a bit in this format.

I guess I'm just realizing after 40 years of fandom I can get behind over the top caricatures more than gimmicks. I grew up on AWA and NWA and USWA in the 80s and believing it was real. Looking back I'm sure the super gimmicky stuff making kayfabe harder to believe as a kid is a big part of the reason. Gimmicky stuff like the Mounties or Big Boss Man just work for me better than the Undertaker (I loved Mean Mark Callous) or Papa Shango or the "random savages" of the past (Yokozuna's sumo guy worked more for me than the other Samoans stuff). 

I don't want gimmicks completely gone (except for the obviously sexist/racist stuff that can't fly anymore) because others enjoy them and I'm all for whatever makes people happy in wrestling and life in general. It's just not my cup of tea.

58 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

I guess I'm just realizing after 40 years of fandom I can get behind over the top caricatures more than gimmicks. I grew up on AWA and NWA and USWA in the 80s and believing it was real. Looking back I'm sure the super gimmicky stuff making kayfabe harder to believe as a kid is a big part of the reason. Gimmicky stuff like the Mounties or Big Boss Man just work for me better than the Undertaker (I loved Mean Mark Callous) or Papa Shango or the "random savages" of the past (Yokozuna's sumo guy worked more for me than the other Samoans stuff). 

I don't want gimmicks completely gone (except for the obviously sexist/racist stuff that can't fly anymore) because others enjoy them and I'm all for whatever makes people happy in wrestling and life in general. It's just not my cup of tea.

I mean, ultimately it comes down to stuff that very much had its purpose in the territory days and could allow guys to still work a territory that was at least relatively close to home (and their families) even if they'd gone stale with the crowd there... that then got completely abused by Vinc.e Jr and the likes of Jim Herd because it allowed them to get away with, generally, lazy booking and still turn an easy buck.

I mean, Jacques Rougeau, for example, only went over to using The Mountie gimmick because Vince didn't feel like, despite his past in Stampede Wrestling, no one would take him seriously as a singles wrestler under his real name because he'd only previously been a tag team wrestler with his brother in WWF, and Raymond retired... and went to work for them as an announcer - also using his real name, so there was likely some concern about exposing kayfabe, but how much Vince was still concerned about that in the early 90's is really debatable, except where his top stars were concerned.

I've honestly got no issue with a gimmick... if it's a good gimmick.  Even some of the racial stuff can have it's place as long as they're not overtly racist; it's type-casting, it happens - and as long as the wrestler is actually of that heritage.  I don't necessarily like the way Jinder Mahal's gimmick is portrayed, but I have no issue with Yuvraj Dhesi, who is of Punjab descent (and in fact is related to retired Punjab pro wrestlers of note), working the gimmick.  Once you've established a faction around a "stereotype" gimmick, I have no issue doing an over-the-top parody with the inclusion of a clearly/visually-not-part-of-that-culture wrestler being included in that faction as a sort of wink-wink-nudge-nudge; best example that comes to mind is Tracey Smothers being booked as part of the Full Blooded Italians in ECW, when anyone who followed Smothers career knew he was redneck to the bone.

What I take issue with are the, for lack of a better term, cultural appropriation gimmicks like Savio Vega working as Kwang, Al Snow working as JL Moon (even though I don't recall an ethnicity ever actually being established as canon), or Marc Copani booked as Muhammad Hassan because he "happened to be a bit darker-complected."

This is actually an opinion of mine formed but also reinforced by discussions I've had at length with Joe Cabibbo, who anyone who follows MLW would know as Josef Samael, and who I've known as The Sheik since 2015 (he's actually been in-tight with Sabu, nephew of the original Sheik, and got his blessing to use his uncle's gimmick; insomuch as he was actually able to help negotiate bookings for Sabu with PCW Ultra which was where I met Joe in the first place).