Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

The goldberg strowman match was mostly dissapointing because of how sad and feeble it made goldberg look. I'm glad they took the belt off, I'm glad strowman won a title and I'm glad reigns wasnt the guy to do it, but the how thing just lacked energy.

IMO, the bone yard match was just plain weird. I mean, they effectively buried the whole bullet club and killed off styles. He doesn't have the mystical persona thing that would explain surviving getting buried alive. Are they going to use this to transition to finn's leader? Then have AJ return months later? Seems like quite the corner storyline wise.

20 hours ago, Troy Brown said:

I mean, american pro wrestling will always be american pro wrestling. a New Japan style promotion ain't gonna get a prime time spot. Lucha Underground didn't get a primetime spot. Actually, maybe they did but I don't even know what carriers provide el rey. 

If you ever wanted to see the difference between AEW and WWE, you'd have to find a summary of Adam Page vs the Young Bucks because for my money, it's the best done american storyline in years culminating (well, it's still going) in what a lot of people consider to be one of, if the not the best,  tag team match in american history. 

Cody's silver spoon promo to Jericho and the 10 lashes segment, imo, are also defining moments in what makes AEW different than WWE. It's simply the consistency in their storytelling, they book 2-3 weeks out for big moments. They give themselves big shows on TV to build towards instead of trying to "hot shot" most feuds. They are also building what feels like an "AEW universe" where the roster actually interacts with each other on a weekly basis instead of just when they're feuding so you see a good amount of interwoven story type stuff. 

I get it, I'm a mark and I like the product but I also feel what I say here is more true than not. What I'm getting at is I don't think WWE is bad because it's WWE. I think WWE is bad because they're lethargic and Vince is out of touch. WWE has every resource to be incredible. It feels like WWE gets a 10 point lead in the 1st quarter and proceeds to protect it like it's a 4 TD lead and runs the ball every play while playing prevent defense and ends up losing and their coach doesn't have an explanation as to why. 

Verizon FIOS carried El Rey and it was definitely in primetime.  It was even up against (granted this was when NXT was just on the Network not on USA) NXT in terms of timeslot.  But it also ran in season, and was taped.  I went to several of the LU tapings since it was just up in Boyle Heights, and it was confusing as hell because you'd see stuff being taped where what was being aired on TV was seriously 3-4 months behind what you were watching live.

7 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Verizon FIOS carried El Rey and it was definitely in primetime.  It was even up against (granted this was when NXT was just on the Network not on USA) NXT in terms of timeslot.  But it also ran in season, and was taped.  I went to several of the LU tapings since it was just up in Boyle Heights, and it was confusing as hell because you'd see stuff being taped where what was being aired on TV was seriously 3-4 months behind what you were watching live.

I imagine they'd tape multiple episodes at a time? I really like LU. 

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

IMO, the bone yard match was just plain weird. I mean, they effectively buried the whole bullet club and killed off styles. He doesn't have the mystical persona thing that would explain surviving getting buried alive. Are they going to use this to transition to finn's leader? Then have AJ return months later? Seems like quite the corner storyline wise.

I both loved and hated the Boneyard match.  As a stand-alone cinematic match, I enjoyed it - and I enjoyed it more than I did any of the Final Deletions because it was, for the most part, presented seriously and not as satire with call-backs to "we're going to whip it out and wave it in front of you that all this is fake" (akin to Chuck Taylor's PWG hand grenade spot that caught backlash from some sects of wrestling fans).  I could have done without the supernatural stuff.  I hated when they did this stuff for Taker even when he was in his prime (e.g. the teleporting/rising from the coffin after Yoko beat him, him firing/calling-down lightning, etc); it also just crapped in the face of any logic because it's like trying to retcon kayfabe right on the heels of putting a bullet in the head of Taker's kayfabe persona (i.e. "You're Mark Callaway").

The match itself was more entertaining to me than any match Taker is capable of having at damn near 60... even with AJ (and we have to consider that AJ is working with an injury right now too).  AJ probably gets written off (to include - which I suspect they're going to do - whatever layoff from programming they take coming up... which is part of why I think they had Becky retain, she's a great chaser but you can't have her chase delayed for weeks or months because you're not doing programming) at minimum until he's able to fully recover from the shoulder injury.

Just now, Troy Brown said:

I imagine they'd tape multiple episodes at a time? I really like LU. 

Yeah, similar to how MLW does nowadays.  You usually would get what amounted to 2-3 episodes taped in a single warehouse show.

1 hour ago, Totty said:

Is there any doubt they put the strap on Drew tomorrow night?

I'm 50/50 on it to be honest.  I think there's a definite chance Vince keeps the belt on Brock and waits for the payoff (and the waiting may, because it's Vince, end up resulting in the payoff never coming).