Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

18 hours ago, Mox said:

Awesome Omega promo/segment. But now he's going to inherit the "is he legit hurt or not" spirit of Bryan going forward.

I actually really liked the Kenny promo and I've had a history of not liking many of Kenny's promos because his affected delivery just came across as terrible acting (I legit compared it to Kevin Sorbo in some of the written-to-be-bad movies he made where it was clear he was trying to play a satirical part straight, i.e. Poolboy).  But this one came across much more like Kenny on his streams or, dare I say, the actual Kenny.

The Bucks powerplay still does nothing for me because 1) Everyone involved in the Elite not named Okada are puny (to clarify, I don't need them to be massive, stereotypical roid-freaks, but JungleJack, Matt, and Nick as only as tall and have frames that are equally as slight as Tony Khan) and 2) As much as they try and spin it with "ironclad contracts" and whatnot, everyone with half a brain still grasps the fact that Tony (and ultimately Shad) still have the power of the purse.  That was ultimately why the Mr. McMahon character worked so well - he legitimately had the money to bankroll salary and other costs.

And Tony's booking choices are finding new an inventive ways to make him look like a complete weenie and undeserving of sympathy - which is kind of a thing you need if you're going to be a babyface and in particular a beatdown-babyface.

I will say, though, with Kenny still not recovered (and this being a pretty clear way of writing him off TV for an indefinite amount of time), AEW has made it easier for me to tune in to watch for the stuff of theirs that I enjoy (Joe, Swerve, Claudio, Rosa, Toni Storm, Hook, Christian, Max when he eventually comes back, Ospreay - at least in the ring, his promos are still unpolished, but I guess that's his allure, etc) and change the channel when the Elite or Jericho come on, and not feel like I'm missing anything.

Edited by Dr LBC
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

(I legit compared it to Kevin Sorbo in some of the written-to-be-bad movies he made where it was clear he was trying to play a satirical part straight, i.e. Poolboy).

Oh my god, now I just want Kenny's second career to be the new Kevin Sorbo, it would be amazing (post wrestling ofcourse)

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Oh my god, now I just want Kenny's second career to be the new Kevin Sorbo, it would be amazing (post wrestling ofcourse)

Kevin Sorbo is only slightly above Scott Baio in terms of thinking he's the poo and people who've actually seen him act or even just running off at the mouth thinking, "Why the hell are you famous again?"

4 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Kevin Sorbo is only slightly above Scott Baio in terms of thinking he's the poo and people who've actually seen him act or even just running off at the mouth thinking, "Why the hell are you famous again?"

you just named two mid/late 90 basic cable TV legends, I would love to see Kenny revive the bad TV star career post in-ring action

Unfortunately we will never get it, for many reasons, but chief among them is that the internet streamer may already be the 2020's version of that kind of TV star

On 5/3/2024 at 2:03 PM, StLunatic88 said:

you just named two mid/late 90 basic cable TV legends, I would love to see Kenny revive the bad TV star career post in-ring action

Unfortunately we will never get it, for many reasons, but chief among them is that the internet streamer may already be the 2020's version of that kind of TV star

Don't let hyperbole get the better of you there.  "Basic cable" in this case is syndicated network shows brought back and shown as filler on basic cable (effectively Turner/Time-Warner and USA/NBC syndicates).  And "legend" is doing A LOT of work there.  Betty White was a legend.  Mark Paul Gosselar was a 90's basic cable legend.  Bob Saget was a legend (although ABC was late to the party in the 90's in terms of getting their stuff out there in syndication on basic cable).  Charles from Charles in Charge (because a vast majority of people familiar with him from that from it's syndicated run on TBS never made the connection that he was also Chachi from late-seasons Happy Days; most of those folks barely connected the Nicole Eggert on CiC was the same Nicole Eggert that was on the early seasons of Baywatch).  And, I think it's safe to say more people recognized Sorbo from the Hercules trailer/commercials for the syndicated run than from actually watching the episodes.  In terms of recognizability from basic cable/syndication alone in the mid/late 90's Dustin Diamond had it exponentially more than either Sorbo or Baio.

But all this is tangential, because from what we've been able to gather from Kenny, he really doesn't have aspirations toward acting aside from maybe the aside passion/fandom cameo like Cody did with Arrow or Roddy Piper did with doing, very specifically, a John Carpenter flick (which Roddy made no qualms about also had to do with the kind of payday that came with getting a lead in a John Carpenter flick in the late 80's).  It's just not really something that blows his skirt up.  If a studio were to do a serious run - that wasn't tongue-in-cheek or just a money-grab - at one of his favorite mangas and offered him a part, I could see him going for it.  But, interestingly, that brings up one of the themes I genuinely feel like he was doing (whether satirically or as parody) with his promo style, particularly in Japan, he came across very much like an English dub of Japanese anime - in particular pre-21st-century dubs.  That's something that I can see having appeal - for varying reasons - to a Japanese audience, but also explains why it would fall flat with a mainstream Western audience, and simultaneously gave it that very affected feel in its presentation.

Edited by Dr LBC

Watching Backlash now.  And maybe it is the alcohol talking, but that (Solo/Tama vs KO/Orton) has to be one of the best openers to any wrestling event that I've ever seen.  Perfectly booked.  It matched the energy of the crowd and then some.  I knew how it was going to end beforehand and it was still epic.  And the crowd, man... that should be the norm.  

And Jey Uso's entrance?  I really wish they would have pulled the trigger and put the title on him. But I get why they kept it on Priest.

The crowd alone makes this one of the greatest shows I've ever watched.  

Edited by iknowcool