Lets Discuss All Things Wrestling - Even The T-Shirt Company AEW!

steelcurtain29

7 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Thats a fine take to have, but if there was ever a situation that the "less believable" fighter to sneak one out, wouldnt the Battle Royal be the spot?

Yes I agree, but it should’ve been used on someone else like stark who will otherwise never win it. Let her have it for like two months before losing to Nia. Then Nia has it till Rhea comes back. The idea they needed someone prominent to carry the title is nonsense. 

11 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

should’ve been Nia.

2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Then Nia has it till Rhea comes back

Nia? As in Nia Jax? As in Nia Jax should be champion? 

Forgive my ignorance. I only watch the main WWE PPVs so it may have been years since I've seen her wrestle a singles match. I may have missed a huge improvement but isn't he notoriously and historically bad borderlining on dangerous in the ring?

There are some news from the McMahon/Laurinaitis/WWE vs. Grant case. Vince filed for private abritration.

Vince McMahon has filed a motion to compel arbitration in the Grant v. WWE et all case. As expected, McMahon's defense is that the NDA he and Janel Grant agreed to contains an arbitration clause and therefore this dispute should go to private arbitration.

McMahon says Grant's "outrageous claims of sexual abuse and coercion are pure fiction—plainly intended to garner publicity—and are flatly contradicted by Plaintiff’s own contemporaneous statements."

He says he and Grant "engaged in a consensual relationship during which Defendant never coerced Plaintiff into doing anything and never mistreated her in any way."

McMahon also denies that Grant was grieving for the lost of her parents, when they met in 2019, due to her father passing away in 2017. I guess, that's also a way to defend himself ...

He's also makes some other claims that Grant lived with her fiancé in the condo complex that both she and McMahon lived in.

Ann Callis, the attorney of Grant, put out the following statement:

Here's a full article about the newest developements:

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/vince-mcmahon-files-motion-to-compel-arbitration-in-janel-grant-lawsuit

10 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

The idea they needed someone prominent to carry the title is nonsense. 

I only think someone prominent winning that Battle Royale was necessary if they want to give a new champ a bigger push.  Beating Becky Lynch will have a much better Championship rub than winning a BR where wonky things can happen.

10 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Nia? As in Nia Jax? As in Nia Jax should be champion? 

Forgive my ignorance. I only watch the main WWE PPVs so it may have been years since I've seen her wrestle a singles match. I may have missed a huge improvement but isn't he notoriously and historically bad borderlining on dangerous in the ring?

Only for the fans to Boo her similar to Dominick. Would love to see someone with that much heat have the belt.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Yes I agree, but it should’ve been used on someone else like stark who will otherwise never win it. Let her have it for like two months before losing to Nia. Then Nia has it till Rhea comes back. The idea they needed someone prominent to carry the title is nonsense. 

No to stark or anyone else winning first time in that situation.  To give it to someone whose never had it just to have them lose it in two months defeats the purpose with no build and almost ruins any future credibility.  Any first time champ who isn't basically debuting should have some sort of journey or story behind it.

47 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

No to stark or anyone else winning first time in that situation.  To give it to someone whose never had it just to have them lose it in two months defeats the purpose with no build and almost ruins any future credibility.  Any first time champ who isn't basically debuting should have some sort of journey or story behind it.

Majority of the women in the match will never hold the title. This would’ve been a nice way to have they get it, get a nice surprise pop. And then losing it.

1 hour ago, Fresh Prince said:

Majority of the women in the match will never hold the title. This would’ve been a nice way to have they get it, get a nice surprise pop. And then losing it.

If Alexa is ready to come back and they didn't use her for the spot, that would be dissapointing

17 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Oh, yea, Im not saying Liv should have or anything (she would be someone perfect if there was a Womens Midcard title around) but as you have pointed out, it felt odd that they used this as the match for Becky to get it again. 

Had they done a Tournament or a Ladder Match (2 or 4 women) that would make more sense for Becky, as she is one of the top billed wrestlers in the division. But when you introduce the chaos for the Battle Royal, it seems like we should have gotten something fun/new out of that. Just uninspired booking really

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I only think someone prominent winning that Battle Royale was necessary if they want to give a new champ a bigger push.  Beating Becky Lynch will have a much better Championship rub than winning a BR where wonky things can happen.

That and whether people like it or not, they've got a slew of PLE's in Europe and elsewhere where a number of the names that were topping the bill when they were selling the tickets at largely all out injured (Rhea, Seth, Punk, etc).  "Card subject to change" only stretches so far, particularly when you want to be able to use these PLE's to entice/market to other international locales to try to entice you over like they're an NFL city and the Fed is offering up the Super Bowl.

Priest is a newly-anointed main event champion.  Cody, while he has been perceived as a main eventer for well over a year, is a newly-anointed main event champion.  There need to be headliners that aren't just paying internet fan-service that actually move the needle with the layman.  I also think part of this title grant was to try to push through extended Becky's contract (though I doubt there's any question that she's leaving).

Also, if they stuck the belt on Liv that's basically telegraphing that she's holding the belt until Rhea comes back to a clear babyface reaction and wrecks her.  That feud doesn't need the belt though and Rhea vs ____ very likely is a bigger draw than Rhea/Liv at SummerSlam (which is likely the target PLE for her return).

Further, to the idea of putting the belt on Nia, for one she doesn't need it and for second, she shouldn't have it because part of putting the belt on any "monster" character is having a plan in mind of how you're going to get it off them (you book backwards, which is something Vince seemed to forget over the years, but which Hunter very clearly understands and does).  Nia, however, makes a very logical first defense feud for Becky because there's still carryover heat from their previous feud on the Mania run-in and their Day 1 match that Nia won; IIRC Becky won a gimmick match on a RAW on the RtWM, but they're at best 1-1, and Nia can still make the claim Becky hasn't ever beaten her in a straight-up fight.  You get Beck her win back and the tilt in the series between them and then Becky's prime to see some heel go over her and get a nice "most of summer" run before getting upended by a returned Rhea (you do the Rhea's revenge match on Liv as a lead-in) at SummerSlam - and then it doesn't really hurt your young, risen heel because she ran into a returning massively-over juggernaut.

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

Had they done a Tournament or a Ladder Match (2 or 4 women) that would make more sense for Becky, as she is one of the top billed wrestlers in the division. But when you introduce the chaos for the Battle Royal, it seems like we should have gotten something fun/new out of that. Just uninspired booking really

Rushed booking, and probably for good reason.  With the draft on the immediate horizon when Rhea's injury happened they needed A) a women's champion to physical be able to be drafted and B) someone whom they could structure the next 1-3 months of feuds around which was going to influence the outcome of who all was drafted to that respective brand - without spoiling too much of how the picks were going to fall out.  It's inconvenient, but in the grand scheme of things it's a drop in the bucket.

33 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Rushed booking, and probably for good reason.  With the draft on the immediate horizon when Rhea's injury happened they needed A) a women's champion to physical be able to be drafted and B) someone whom they could structure the next 1-3 months of feuds around which was going to influence the outcome of who all was drafted to that respective brand - without spoiling too much of how the picks were going to fall out.  It's inconvenient, but in the grand scheme of things it's a drop in the bucket.

Eh, I dont know, if you have an injured Womens Champion, or even a vacant title on one of he shows does that really impact the draft? Not really. 

If anything, a vacant title could be a huge draw and every Top Woman in the company should be fighting to get over to that brand for a shot to be the one to grab that opportunity. Even if you dont want to involve Bianca here, a 4-way of Becky, Naomi, Nia and whoever else. Id go young up and comer (either Indi, Stratton or Stark) but if you wanted to go big and pop a number, Im sure you could pay Trish Stratus enough to show up for a couple of shows

Thats why Ill stick with uninspired. You have an vacant belt, with just about everything on the table, and you choose Becky to win a Battle Royal... Lame

I mean you could have absolutely elevated one of the new young stars (who you will need with all the women out right now) or given one of the underdogs as a surprise (Liv or Nikki or even a shocking Maxxine) or you could have reestablished Nia as the true monster she should be. You could always give Natalya a lifetime achievement reign here. Heck, you could have done something really fun with Chelsea Green here. 

8 hours ago, Mox said:

Respect the hell out of keeping kayfabe alive Tony

It's easy to see now that this has been planned for awhile. Maybe I'm giving TK too much credit but to do that the night before the NFL draft with his dad coming into the ring seemed on purpose. Same thing with showing the Perry/Punk footage the same week that Perry was wrestling in Chicago.

There are lots of issues with AEW's booking and it is unfortunate the IWC (and internet in general) exists on a 24 hour news cycle so they got torn apart for showing the footage but it wasn't just a "hey why the f not" kind of deal clearly.