2020 Draft Talk

swede700

I know they probably won't draft a QB, but here's an early ranking regardless...

We think there are two real-deal franchise quarterbacks in this class and then a handful of guys with some serious question marks on tape. However, while we are always hesitant to say a prospect's flaws can be fixed, we won’t hate on teams too much for taking a chance at the most valuable position in the NFL.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-position-rankings-quarterbacks

7 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

We could trade for Rosen..?

I would.

Seems likely that he isn't going to ever live up to his draft status but he has had the most rotten luck his first 2 years and likely isn't as bad as it seems.

Could be a capable backup in the future

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I wonder how Mahomes would look if he was thrown into the same situation as Rosen

He'd still be awesome lol.

Rosen hasn't looked good at all and it's not all his fault imo, but Mahomes is special. Hes a guy who lifts all boats and whoever it was that was coaching in Arizona before Kliff (can't remember) would probably still be coaching.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

He'd still be awesome lol.

Rosen hasn't looked good at all and it's not all his fault imo, but Mahomes is special. Hes a guy who lifts all boats and whoever it was that was coaching in Arizona before Kliff (can't remember) would probably still be coaching.

You don't think sitting for a year being coached by Andy Reid helps?

The one thing Rosen has going for him is that he only is turning 23 in a couple of weeks.  I've never been that high on him, because I didn't think he had the attitude to succeed.  If Miami is intent on drafting Tua at #5, then they'd be wise to trade him for whatever they could get.  I'd take him at this point as a backup, so I'd deal the 4th or 6th rounder for him.  His trade value has certainly declined because he hasn't played enough to know what his ceiling truly is.  

43 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Watching Alex Smith and being mentored by former Vikings' training camp QB Mike Kafka certainly helped as well.  Mahomes had to sit because he had a lot of things to work on before he needed to play as he couldn't do at the NFL level what he was getting away with at the college level.  It's still what I think the Vikings should do and should have done with several QBs over the last 10-15 years (starting with Tarvaris).  In Tarvaris' case, he should have sat for 2 full years, because he had no business starting when he did.  

3 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Of course it helps.

The question was how he would look in Rosen situation and I'm saying he'd still be awesome, but he also probably wouldn't an undisputed top 2 QB in the league.

He wouldn't be talked about as a bust, I feel pretty confident about that. He as innate skills and traits that are a clear cut about Rosen (and most QBs in the league). Those things don't exist because he also happens to be in what is most certainly the most ideal situation for him.

Hes a special talent is all I'm saying and it would be appearant no matter what team drafted him.

If a big name OTs are all gone and if Lynch is not there, I would be more than happy with this guy come draft time.  Jonah Jackson from Ohio State.  Brought him up a few times but to be he is clearly the best OG in the draft and well worth a late 1st round pick potentially.  Would instantly get Elflein out of the starting lineup and could be a starter in his place from day one.  

2WL6K5BS5RDNDOJVDCDGRR23R4.jpg

19 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I wonder how Mahomes would look if he was thrown into the same situation as Rosen

Mahomes would do just fine, sure Andy Reid helps but Mahomes can move in the pocket, has a better arm, is more accurate, charismatic and is a flat out better leader in general.  His teammates like him and he is easy to be around.  Josh Rosen is not all that likable, is not a great leader, is not easy to be around and is not nearly as athletic or accurate with the football.  Has a chance maybe long term but will have to sit and learn and clearly the times he has been in have not been good. 

If Mahomes was say drafted by Arizona, they would have never traded away Mahomes to get Kyler Murray like they did with Rosen.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

How would you rate/grade top OTs this year compared against (Jonah Williams, Dillard, Howard, McGary, Taylor, Little, Ford, and Risner) top OTs last year?

Hard to say because I had Risner as a OG last year but clearly could play RT if asked but was way better than Bradbury was arguably this season regardless of position.

I would go like this, clearly the OTs are higher this year with Wirfs and Thomas, and Becton and overall at the top it is a much better class.  And hard to rank Jonah Williams because who knows if he ends up at OG and how he comes back off injury but coming out of Bama he was clearly the best OT last year.  And Cody Ford I still think would be better at OG honestly.  McGary I would not consider him that elite and thought he was drafted a little higher than he should have been, same with Howard potentially.  And I was never huge on Elgton Jenkins as a high level player but turn out he probably is, never thought of him as a OG either but did great there I thought this season.  

OT
*Tristian Wirfs
*Andrew Thomas
*Jedrick Willis
*Mekhi Becton
Jonah Williams
Greg Little
Andre Dillard
*Austin Jackson
*Trey Adams
Jawaan Taylor
*Josh Jones

OG/C
*Tyler Biadasz 
Dalton Risner
Cody Ford
*Jonah Jackson
Garrett Bradbury
Erick McCoy

But lucky for the Vikings some talk is that Biadasz might slide which would be great for them if they could steal him in the 1st round.  And I know I talked up Jonah Jackson and I still think he is the best OG in the draft but if one considers Biadasz a OG then he would be the top dog there even though I think he would be just fine at center as well.  

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Hard to say because I had Risner as a OG last year but clearly could play RT if asked but was way better than Bradbury was arguably this season regardless of position.

I would go like this, clearly the OTs are higher this year with Wirfs and Thomas, and Becton and overall at the top it is a much better class.  And hard to rank Jonah Williams because who knows if he ends up at OG and how he comes back off injury but coming out of Bama he was clearly the best OT last year.  And Cody Ford I still think would be better at OG honestly.  McGary I would not consider him that elite and thought he was drafted a little higher than he should have been, same with Howard potentially.  And I was never huge on Elgton Jenkins as a high level player but turn out he probably is, never thought of him as a OG either but did great there I thought this season.  

OT
*Tristian Wirfs
*Andrew Thomas
*Jedrick Willis
*Mekhi Becton
Jonah Williams
Greg Little
Andre Dillard
*Austin Jackson
*Trey Adams
Jawaan Taylor
*Josh Jones

OG/C
*Tyler Biadasz 
Dalton Risner
Cody Ford
*Jonah Jackson
Garrett Bradbury
Erick McCoy

But lucky for the Vikings some talk is that Biadasz might slide which would be great for them if they could steal him in the 1st round.  And I know I talked up Jonah Jackson and I still think he is the best OG in the draft but if one considers Biadasz a OG then he would be the top dog there even though I think he would be just fine at center as well.  

Good info.  So where do you think the value and depth are for OG?   Any potential first year starters in the second or third round?   Was wondering if we could grab Josh Jones (or a falling BPA/PON) in round 1 how would it look to grab an IOL in the next round or 2.

Edited by Snake Plissken
typo

26 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

Good info.  So where do you think the value and depth are for OG?   Any potential first year starters in the second or third round?   Was wondering if we could grab Josh Jones (or a falling BPA/PON) in round 1 how would it look to grab an IOL in the next round or 2.

Not sure Josh Jones is a scheme fit honestly and still the issue if we draft a tackle what do we do with Reiff is a massive concern.  If they just cut him maybe but not sure that is even a smart idea.  Trey Adams is a better scheme fit than Josh Jones but he does have a injury history but is arguably more athletic and proven against better competition.  

Right now I have the Vikings getting Prince Tega Wanogho Auburn RS SR OT 2nd round who is a great scheme fit, then Logan Stenberg Kentucky RS SR OG in the 3rd round and both could start potentially.  Stenberg I like as a run blocker but in terms of the OG depth it is not really great after Jonah Jackson and John Simpson.  Simpson is arguably the best OG scheme fit outside of Biadasz but he could easily be gone by the time the Vikings pick 2nd round.  Ben Bredeson could be around 3rd or 4th round, same with Shane Lemieux.  Marcus Keyes is another scheme fit at OG who is more 4th or 5th round.  Lloyd Cushenberry I like as a OG but is not really a scheme fit, can play center but is better at OG, Saahdig Charles might be interesting as a possible OT and OG but I like him as a OG and could be a decent 3rd or 4th round value.  Calvin Throckmorton is another who could play OT or OG but did have a rough Senior Bowl I think.  

Wirfs I would love if he fell, he has the best potential as a OT and I would trade up to get him or Andrew Thomas if something happens where they fall but I doubt that happens.  

Perfect world would be Prince Tega Wanogho and John Simpson at OT and OG in terms of straight athletes in the Vikings pick range.  But DL is another concern that should be addressed early, especially if Griffen walks.  

Edited by Ozzy