2020 Draft Talk

swede700

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure Josh Jones is a scheme fit honestly and still the issue if we draft a tackle what do we do with Reiff is a massive concern.  If they just cut him maybe but not sure that is even a smart idea.  Trey Adams is a better scheme fit than Josh Jones but he does have a injury history but is arguably more athletic and proven against better competition.  

Right now I have the Vikings getting Prince Tega Wanogho Auburn RS SR OT 2nd round who is a great scheme fit, then Logan Stenberg Kentucky RS SR OG in the 3rd round and both could start potentially.  Stenberg I like as a run blocker but in terms of the OG depth it is not really great after Jonah Jackson and John Simpson.  Simpson is arguably the best OG scheme fit outside of Biadasz but he could easily be gone by the time the Vikings pick 2nd round.  Ben Bredeson could be around 3rd or 4th round, same with Shane Lemieux.  Marcus Keyes is another scheme fit at OG who is more 4th or 5th round.  Lloyd Cushenberry I like as a OG but is not really a scheme fit, can play center but is better at OG, Saahdig Charles might be interesting as a possible OT and OG but I like him as a OG and could be a decent 3rd or 4th round value.  Calvin Throckmorton is another who could play OT or OG but did have a rough Senior Bowl I think.  

Wirfs I would love if he fell, he has the best potential as a OT and I would trade up to get him or Andrew Thomas if something happens where they fall but I doubt that happens.  

Perfect world would be Prince Tega Wanogho and John Simpson at OT and OG in terms of straight athletes in the Vikings pick range.  But DL is another concern that should be addressed early, especially if Griffen walks.  

Thanks.  Haven't had too much time to look into scheme aspects yet, but Jones seemed like a guy who could be available about pick 25.  At this point, DT doesn't look like a value in the first and I really don't want to take another 1st round CB.  With LT/OT being a higher draft valued position, figured it might be an opportunity to hit that first.

I enjoy the info on draft prospects and will have to check out some of the guys you mentioned.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure Josh Jones is a scheme fit honestly and still the issue if we draft a tackle what do we do with Reiff is a massive concern.

The little bit I've read says that Jones had a GREAT week at the Senior Bowl and would fit well in a zone-scheme. What makes you say/think otherwise? Admittedly, I don't watch these guys rather I read as many different opinions as I can on them.

Again, having Reiff, should have no impact on drafting an OT as competition or as a flat-out replacement. Unfortunately if Reiff is cut after the draft the cap savings don't do us any good with regard to free agency in 2020.

19 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

The little bit I've read says that Jones had a GREAT week at the Senior Bowl and would fit well in a zone-scheme. What makes you say/think otherwise? Admittedly, I don't watch these guys rather I read as many different opinions as I can on them.

Again, having Reiff, should have no impact on drafting an OT as competition or as a flat-out replacement. Unfortunately if Reiff is cut after the draft the cap savings don't do us any good with regard to free agency in 2020.

I am not great with numbers but Reiff's contract is around 5 years $58 million including $11 million signing bonus and $26 million guaranteed.  That is not good and is basically what money down the crapper with that $37 million then?  Has two years of course left on the contract.

Josh Jones is a good athlete for his size but since when are big mauler type good for a zone blocking scheme?  Maybe he could fit well but he gave up a few pressures in that Senior bowl game and got beat a few times.  Was better than some awful OT play by others but he was not perfect either.  Good upside and ok value sure but I would rather have Austin Jackson from USC instead of Josh Jones because he is more athletic and is arguably a better pass blocker.  

This is who I have the Vikings getting currently with projected compensatory selections.  In this one Austin Jackson and Becton are both gone but Josh Jones is not but I have them going after DL instead.

1st
25. Minnesota  - James Lynch Baylor JR DE/DT

2nd
57. Minnesota  - Prince Tega Wanogho Auburn RS SR OT

3rd
89. Minnesota - Logan Stenberg Kentucky RS SR OG

4th
128. Minnesota- Nevelle Clarke UCF RS SR CB
*138. Minnesota - K'Von Wallace Clemson SR S

6th
205. Minnesota-  Garrett Marino UAB SR DT

7th
221. Minnesota (From Miami) -Braden Mann Texas A&M SR P
240. Minnesota-  Lawrence Cager Georgia SR WR
*253. Minnesota - Christian Rector USC SR DE
*254. Minnesota - Khalil Tate Arizona SR QB

Edited by Ozzy

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I am not great with numbers but Reiff's contract is around 5 years $58 million including $11 million signing bonus and $26 million guaranteed.  That is not good and is basically what money down the crapper with that $37 million then?  Has two years of course left on the contract.

Free up $8.8M while taking on $4.4M in dead money per OvertheCap but that is another thread. 

I know WR is not a need but the more I watch this guy the more I would love him on the Vikings.  We need a jump ball threat at WR, a guy who can go get it in the end zone and this dude could be a TD machine.  Great athletic ability and catch radius, awesome in the air and has size at 6-4 220.  If we could steal him in the 3rd or 4th I would be all over it as long as OL was addressed earlier.

Draft SZN wouldn't be complete without talking your biggest draft misses.

Mine:  Easily Greg Robinson - I thought he had everything needed to be a Hall of Fame Caliber guard.  

Less, but still hurtful, miss:  Yamon Figurs; I thought he could do just enough as a receiver to be a factor on offense while being an electric return guy

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Mine:  Easily Greg Robinson - I thought he had everything needed to be a Hall of Fame Caliber guard.  

Less, but still hurtful, miss:  Yamon Figurs; I thought he could do just enough as a receiver to be a factor on offense while being an electric return guy

Matt Jones. Thought he was going to be a multi-Pro Bowl WR. 

2 hours ago, RpMc said:

Treadwell. I thought we got a guy who had the potential to be our own version of Dez Bryant

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

I had high hopes for Troy Williamson. Of course that was the first year I even paid attention to who we drafted

Same. That was right around when I first got into football. 

I watched Randy Moss play for us for a minute it seemed, and he was unbelievable. I watched Troy Williamson for the same amount of time, and he too was unbelievable, just in a far different way.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Same. That was right around when I first got into football. 

I watched Randy Moss play for us for a minute it seemed, and he was unbelievable. I watched Troy Williamson for the same amount of time, and he too was unbelievable, just in a far different way.

My first football memories were Moss's rookie year but I didn't start paying attention for a couple more years. Williamsons rookie year was the first year that I played fantasy football and I traded for him and Daunte 

• Like 1