2020 Draft Talk

swede700

8 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Fair, those are all good examples. But I'm not sure we KNOW that they can develop starting CBs from late rounds, but maybe they can. Most of the starters are, what, first round picks? Rhodes, Waynes, Hughes, Harrison (safety, clearly)......

I don't think that's fair to hold against them though. If we are including safeties look no further than Ant Harris and Sendejo.

Just because they weren't drafted late doesn't mean that they weren't developed. I would say that Rhodes working his way up to probably the greatest single CB season by a Viking and Smith churning out All-Pro level seasons has a lot to do with the coaching that they've received, and not just their draft status/pedigree.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year if they need to count on Hughes, Hill, and Boyd to be their main CB rotation.

44 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Isn't 33" the "magic" number for OTs/arm length? Or is it 34"? Either way he is close enough IMO.

I don't know if there is a magic number. Arm length is a lot more important for OTs in the zone blocking scheme. There are guys with 32 inch arms that have done just fine. For any tackle I was going to draft high into the system I would be looking for 34 inches. Admittedly, that is only based off of hearing from others that 34 inches is normal for OTs in ZBS. There is not a lot of reason to believe what I have heard is any better than what you have heard as the "magic" number. 33 5/8 isn't bad at all. To me it just isn't ideal.

53 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

Kris Boyd and Holton Hill

I think they've flashed competence...but I also think I will take a wait and see approach as to whether they are actually good.  I also realize, as there are plenty of unknowns about Boyd and Hill as players, they will likely see lots of time on the field as I and others anticipate that there will be two new starting CB's next season.

On 1/20/2020 at 9:06 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Want Kinlaw 1st Winfield 2nd and Biadasz 3rd

Pipe dreaming..

Dane Brugler on Kinlaw: He flashes traits similar to KC's Chris Jones.

Chris Jones would be the ideal 3-tech for the Vikings...now only if they could afford him.  If not, Kinlaw would be the next best option.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't think that's fair to hold against them though. If we are including safeties look no further than Ant Harris and Sendejo.

Just because they weren't drafted late doesn't mean that they weren't developed. I would say that Rhodes working his way up to probably the greatest single CB season by a Viking and Smith churning out All-Pro level seasons has a lot to do with the coaching that they've received, and not just their draft status/pedigree.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year if they need to count on Hughes, Hill, and Boyd to be their main CB rotation.

The quote I responded to was about developing later picks..... So, seems like that's the topic....

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

The quote I responded to was about developing later picks..... So, seems like that's the topic....

So questioning which members of the secondary were late round picks developed under Zimmer was entirely unrelated to the fact that you have argued that Zimmer's defense is a product of highly drafted players rather than coaching ability?

Got it.

If the Vikings cannot get the likes of a Austin Jackson or Becton 1st round, I say 2nd round we go after Prince Tega Wanogho Auburn RS SR OT #76.

xitgbexqeiagyodk65ou

The guy is a great athlete, one of the most athletic tackles in the draft.  Awesome in space and if Reiff cannot move into guard maybe cutting him is possible to save some cash if the numbers work.  Regardless Tega Wanogho is a damn good tackle and could be a fine pass protector for years.  

• Like 1