2020 Draft Talk

swede700

On 2/1/2020 at 4:12 PM, RpMc said:

Draft SZN wouldn't be complete without talking your biggest draft misses.

Mine:  Easily Greg Robinson - I thought he had everything needed to be a Hall of Fame Caliber guard.  

Less, but still hurtful, miss:  Yamon Figurs; I thought he could do just enough as a receiver to be a factor on offense while being an electric return guy

This will probably date me as I've certainly been here a long time, but by far, my biggest miss was Dwayne Jarrett.  I wasn't happy that the Vikings took Sidney Rice right before him, but in the end, it turned out okay (although I can't say that Rice really ever changed my mind).  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, swede700 said:

This will probably date me as I've certainly been here a long time, but by far, my biggest miss was Dwayne Jarrett.  I wasn't happy that the Vikings took Sidney Rice right before him, but in the end, it turned out okay (although I can't say that Rice really ever changed my mind).  

Rice certainly had the ability to be a top 10 WR, Jarrett clearly didn’t. Injuries were a struggle for Rice. That year he had with Favre was awesome. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Rice certainly had the ability to be a top 10 WR, Jarrett clearly didn’t. Injuries were a struggle for Rice. That year he had with Favre was awesome. 

I never thought he was anywhere near a top-10 WR in talent, even with that one year.  Favre made him, despite him being tremendously mis-used.  He never had the talent to be a down the field WR, although they tried to make him that way...and tremendously underused him as a red-zone WR, which is what he actually had the talent for.

Edited by swede700

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I never thought he was anywhere near a top-10 WR in talent, even with that one year.  Favre made him, despite him being tremendously mis-used.  He never had the talent to be a down the field WR, although they tried to make him that way...and tremendously underused him as a red-zone WR, which is what he actually had the talent for.

Rice was consistent hualing In down field throws that year from Favre. He made a ton of difficult catches that showed he could do it without Favre from a physical standpoint. There we certainly cases when Rice bailed out Favre. Rice was stuck with lousy QBs who couldn’t push the ball downfield prior to Favre, and of course, never developed consistency probably due to the injury issues.

Edited by vikingsrule

28 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I remember the AP vs. Jarrett vs. Jamaal Anderson debates.

Those debates were so much fun.  :D  I can't remember how I thought about Jamaal Anderson other than probably not wanting him because of the other Jamal Anderson.  xD

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Those debates were so much fun.  :D  I can't remember how I thought about Jamaal Anderson other than probably not wanting him because of the other Jamal Anderson.  xD

I remember AP started dropping from the top 3 with durability concerns (ankle, collar bone).  There were rumors he could slip to our pick at 7 , but I was just  hoping we could get LaRon Landry (and not Jamaal Anderson the Defensive End).  Levi Brown ( need pick) went with pick 5 and Landry went with pick 6.  AP was just sitting there and I was praying the Vikings would take him.  I was watching the draft with a bunch of buddies and we erupted into celebration when the pick was announced.   I guess Darrell Revis was next on the big board.

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

He looks solid in this but key is the competition level, Brendon Hayes is the only one of note he went up against here that I can tell and he is like a 6th or 7th round pick or a UDFA this year. 

Solid athlete sure but again what do you do with Reiff then?   If Tyler Biadasz falls likes apparently he is at the moment, would be very hard pressed to take OT over interior OL.  Because say they get Jones, Reiff is cut and Jones is a starter, that interior would still get pushed around and Elflein and or Kline would still get beat.  So getting a OT does not help that interior issues which is the quickest way to the QB.  

Jones sure looks good here though but is not always as athletic and perfect blocking as he looks in this clip.  

I think we are all in agreement that this team could use a #3 WR, but I'm very curious what type of WR prospect we'd like for that role. This draft is DEEP at WR and the Vikings will likely have strong options at the end of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. Do we want a speedster like KJ Hamler or more of a sure handed/possession WR like Denzel Mims?

Personally my most coveted values at WR's would KJ Hill from tOSU and Lynn Bowden from Kentucky. My homer pick is also Gabriel Davis out of UCF, who I think could develop into a top 10 WR in the right situation.

46 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This team doesn’t know how to utilize the two stud receivers that they have. There’s no point in wasting a high draft pick on another receiver. 

I wouldn’t look at WR until late day 3. 

Especially since it is supposed to be an extremely talented class.