2020 Draft Talk

swede700

5 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I guess I'd look at it as an OG who can play center. Perhaps saying the same thing different ways. Provided Humphrey declares I'd have to imagine they'll go in that 16-25 range, pure speculation of course.

Depending on how the board falls I'm currently in favor of OL (OG/LT) , DL (all), QB, and CB (depending on in-house moves made at the CB position this off-season) in the 1st. 

Think we can safely rule out WR, TE, RB, C, RT, and LB in the 1st.

I'm not sure we can for all of those positions. While I don't think most of us think WR is that high of a need, a #3 receiver or someone to replace DIggs or Theilen in the near future could be looked at (just saying the team may view it that way. Again, not my personal preference). TE, RB, C, and LB are also all probably not in the works, though if for some reason Zimmer gets canned and we change defensive schemes to an extent, then LB could be considered. I think RT could conceivably be an option depending on what happens with Reiff. I don't know if there is ever any future plans to try and move O'Niell over to the left side, but if we were to get rid of Reiff, or consider moving him inside to LG, then I think a high round/1st round RT wouldn't be out of the question. 

Just my 2 cents.

13 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I guess I'd look at it as an OG who can play center. Perhaps saying the same thing different ways. Provided Humphrey declares I'd have to imagine they'll go in that 16-25 range, pure speculation of course.

Depending on how the board falls I'm currently in favor of OL (OG/LT) , DL (all), QB, and CB (depending on in-house moves made at the CB position this off-season) in the 1st. 

Think we can safely rule out WR, TE, RB, C, RT, and LB in the 1st.

I would honestly take DT or CB over OL but yeah it depends on how things fall and who falls.  

If Tristan Wirfs or Trey Adams fall as athletic LTs then they are a must draft them if they are there.  

Then if not DT with Raekwon Davis or Javon Kinlaw I would not mind 1st round but if Jeffrey Okudah falls a little I would not mind getting him 1st round either.

Then 2nd round OL would work with Jonah Jackson maybe but I would also take Jordan Love in a second if he dropped to the 2nd round, or if they do not sign Harris they need a safety so Xavier McKinney makes a lot of sense but he could be gone 1st round.  Amik Robertson makes a ton of sense 2nd round or Camryn Bynum both CBs, or if we go CB in the 1st round Leki Fotu at DT could make a lot of sense 2nd round.  

Lot of things can happen but to me DL, CB, OL, QB then S if Harris is out would make the most sense but yeah all depends on the best player there and at which position it is in.  DB will be a need because doubt they can sign Alexander, Waynes, Harris and Kearse.  They simply cannot so 3 if not all 4 of them could  maybe be gone,.  That would then clearly be the #1 need I feel if that happens.  OG is a big need also but I would be far more comfortable with one 2nd to 3rd round, especially if they like Samia and think he has a future long term potentially.  

9 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

I think RT could conceivably be an option depending on what happens with Reiff. I don't know if there is ever any future plans to try and move O'Niell over to the left side, but if we were to get rid of Reiff, or consider moving him inside to LG, then I think a high round/1st round RT wouldn't be out of the question.

I'm of the mindset of not moving O'Neill regardless of what happens on the left side. You need two good tackles in today's game and O'Neill has shown he can handle the right-side.

I'd be pretty livid if they used a 1st rounder on a #3 WR when we have Bisi (who has shown a lot of potential) and Doctson (a former 1st rounder turned into a reclamation project). Doesn't make sense with our usage of 12 personnel either.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would honestly take DT or CB over OL but yeah it depends on how things fall and who falls.  

Would certainly draw no complaints from me.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

If Tristan Wirfs or Trey Adams fall as athletic LTs then they are a must draft them if they are there.  

Agreed on Wirfs! Adams, if I recall, has had some injury problems. He'll probably go in the 1st but I'm not sure I'd want to take that risk.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Then if not DT with Raekwon Davis or Javon Kinlaw I would not mind 1st round but if Jeffrey Okudah falls a little I would not mind getting him 1st round either.

I think Coach Patterson could take both of those guys (especially Davis) to the next level, they'd project as a great foundational piece along the DL with Hunter. Just saw Kinlaw accepted an invite to the Senior Bowl. Kid seems to really love football and those are always great guys to add to your team.

Don't know much about any of the CBs but I'm sure I'll try and read up on them and try to watch a little bit when I can. At worst we're going into next season with Rhodes, Hughes, Hill, and Boyd.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Lot of things can happen but to me DL, CB, OL, QB then S if Harris is out would make the most sense but yeah all depends on the best player there and at which position it is in.  DB will be a need because doubt they can sign Alexander, Waynes, Harris and Kearse.  They simply cannot so 3 if not all 4 of them could  maybe be gone,.  That would then clearly be the #1 need I feel if that happens.  OG is a big need also but I would be far more comfortable with one 2nd to 3rd round, especially if they like Samia and think he has a future long term potentially. 

This makes all the sense in the world to me. I think Alexander is becoming a must re-sign. Harris really hasn't done anything crazy special since week 1, will be curious to see what kind of interest he has if he hits the market. Who knows how the team will view Kearse given his latest situation - I'd love to bring him back. Some tough decisions for the team this offseason.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

This makes all the sense in the world to me. I think Alexander is becoming a must re-sign. Harris really hasn't done anything crazy special since week 1, will be curious to see what kind of interest he has if he hits the market. Who knows how the team will view Kearse given his latest situation - I'd love to bring him back. Some tough decisions for the team this offseason.

I agree with Alexander. I’d also try and bring back Waynes or Rhodes. Might be easier just to hang onto Rhodes and try to get him to take a pay cut. I’m afraid Waynes might get too costly and he’s an average player. I guess I’d rather have Rhodes at $8-10 m per year with little long term commitment than Waynes at $14m with more guaranteed money. I frankly don’t think either are ideal starters, not sure Hughes or Hill can be better than either but I think it’s worth a try. 

Harris shouldn’t be too difficult to resign. The Safety market is usually inexpensive and I don’t think Harris has significant name recognition to get a big contract. 

I’m guessing CB will be a top priority on draft day, along with upgrading the left side of the OL and finding a potential Griffen replacement.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I'm of the mindset of not moving O'Neill regardless of what happens on the left side. You need two good tackles in today's game and O'Neill has shown he can handle the right-side.

I'd be pretty livid if they used a 1st rounder on a #3 WR when we have Bisi (who has shown a lot of potential) and Doctson (a former 1st rounder turned into a reclamation project). Doesn't make sense with our usage of 12 personnel either.

I don't even count Doctson in the equation. He's been a non-factor because of injury, and a non-factor in general in his career. I really am a big proponent of Bisi, but that doesn't mean that the team or big Rick feels the same way. Also, with the conundrum with Diggs, Theilen's injury, and the both of their contracts, the team could conceivably consider going after a receiver with the thought of moving on from one of the two in the next year or so. I am with you, though, I would be very upset with a WR in round 1. 

As far as O'Neill, i'm not necessarily of the mindset that he should swap sides either, and he has shown to be very good at RT. No need to mess with a good thing. Only issue is that the left tackle is usually the more important of the tackle spots, especially with a right armed QB. I think Reiff has looked better this year, but he could still be upgraded, so all I'm saying is that the continual build of the O-line might involve some moves of current players and/or drafting of high round players. A majority of quality tackles end up coming from the 1st round, so I just wouldn't leave it out as an option, especially if the team envisions O'Niell possibly being able to move. 

14 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

Also, with the conundrum with Diggs, Theilen's injury, and the both of their contracts, the team could conceivably consider going after a receiver with the thought of moving on from one of the two in the next year or so.

Until those moves are actually made, if they are made, WR is pretty far down my list for a high pick in 2020. That's all I'm saying and it sounds like you agree.

14 hours ago, NorthCountryEvo said:

A majority of quality tackles end up coming from the 1st round, so I just wouldn't leave it out as an option, especially if the team envisions O'Niell possibly being able to move.

I didn't leave LT out as an option in the 1st (see below)! ;)

On 11/6/2019 at 5:28 PM, VikeManDan said:

Spielman and company are very good at gathering talent. So any position he selects, apart from QB, gets me excited. 

However, I can see him being gone if we are one and done in the playoffs and/or don’t make the playoffs at all. So if he is here, I have confidence in whoever he picks. Regardless of position, except QB lol

If it were up to me though, and since Burrow nor Tua will fall to us, I would select either DT or OL. My first choices at least. 

Edited by Torchezim

Really liking Joe Burrow more and more.  
A shame he is going to end up wasting his career in Cincinnati, Miami, or Washington.

He has thoroughly impressed me throughout the season and has excelled at the position game by game. 

I know we won’t get him but man.... 

This year we miss out on Burrow. Next year we miss out on Lawrence. The following year we miss out on whom ever. Because as always, with this organization, we will play just good enough to either back into the playoffs or miss out entirely and be afforded a mid round pick. 

I’m sick of being just good enough to be disappointing. I hope I am wrong though. 

4 hours ago, Torchezim said:

Really liking Joe Burrow more and more.  
A shame he is going to end up wasting his career in Cincinnati, Miami, or Washington.

He has thoroughly impressed me throughout the season and has excelled at the position game by game. 

I know we won’t get him but man.... 

This year we miss out on Burrow. Next year we miss out on Lawrence. The following year we miss out on whom ever. Because as always, with this organization, we will play just good enough to either back into the playoffs or miss out entirely and be afforded a mid round pick. 

I’m sick of being just good enough to be disappointing. I hope I am wrong though. 

Some of the best QBs in NFL history weren't even taken in the first 5 picks though (Brady, Marino, Montana, Favre, Brees etc). It just takes good evaluators, a need/BPA at the time and some luck.

For every Peyton Manning and John Elway, there is a David Carr and Jamarcus Russell.

• Like 1