Bears Current Cap Situation

WindyCity

I thought it would be interesting to take a look at the Bears cap situation now that the draft has passed and looking at possible extensions and the 2020 outlook.

2019: 17 million

2020 Cap Space: -1.5 million [after the Floyd option year pick up]

This is obviously not a great cap situation and I was a little surprised that the modest moves this season ended up sapping the Bears 2020 cap the way that they did, but none the less there are some options.

Extensions

2019 Spent: 11 million

2020 Saved: 1.5 million

Cody Whitehair

Remaining: 1 year 1.3 million

New Money: 4 years 44 million/22 guaranteed

Total Deal: 5 years 45.3 million/22 guaranteed

Year 1: 4 guaranteed salary/ 2 SB [6]

Year 2: 4 guaranteed salary/ 2 SB [6]

Year 3: 5 salary/2 SB/2 roster bonus [9]

Year 4: 8.3 salary/2 SB [10.3]

Year 5: 12 salary/2 SB [14]

Leonard Floyd

Remaining: 1 year 5 million

New Money: 4 years 48 million/26 guaranteed

Total Deal: 5 years 53 million/26 guaranteed

Year 1: 8 guaranteed salary/ 2 SB [10] *5 million additional subtracted from 2019 cap

Year 2: 4 guaranteed salary/ 2 SB [6]

Year 3: 7 salary/2 SB/2 roster bonus [11]

Year 4: 9 salary/2 SB/2 roster bonus [13]

Year 5: 11 salary/2 SB/2 roster bonus [15]

With the extensions the Bears would be at exactly 0 cap space for the 2020 season.

Clearing Space

Likely [21.35 million]

OG Kyle Long 8.1 million

CB Prince Amukamara 8 million

WR Cordarelle Patterson 5.25 million

Possible [20.5 million]

Taylor Gabriel 4.5 million

Allen Robinson 13 million

Mike Davis 3 million

With the likely cuts the Bears would have 21.35 million in cap space. I do not think they will keep both Robinson and Gabriel so lets add 4.5 million make it an even 26 million.

What does this mean

-The Bears are going to need cheap options at RG, SS, and CB in 2020.

-Danny Trevathan seems like a long shot to come back in free agency.

-We need to monitor the RFA on the team RRH, Coward, Irving. The RFA tender for a 2nd round pick is 3.9 million. If RRH continues to play well, or Coward gets playing time and plays well the Bears may be best suited to try and get an extension done with them.

-The Bears should extend Cohen and Jackson after the 2019 season, but they may have to backload those deals into 2023.

-The Bears may have an even quieter free agency period in 2020 then they did in 2019.

-Watch the young WRs, they may need to save money there.

-Watch the young CBs and Ss, they are 100% going to need to save money there.

-Watch Alex Bars and Coward in camp because that RG spot is going to need competition.

• Like 1

Not too worried about this.  Pretty sure I read something somewhere saying that the best teams spend nearly 60% of their cap every year on the top-10 salaries for their team.

Plus can't Bears just roll over any unspent cap space from 2019 into 2020 anyway?

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Not too worried about this.  Pretty sure I read something somewhere saying that the best teams spend nearly 60% of their cap every year on the top-10 salaries for their team.

Plus can't Bears just roll over any unspent cap space from 2019 into 2020 anyway?

It is going to be tight and they are going to have to develop players at RG, CB, SS this season or replace them in the draft next season.

NY Post Article

The rankings are based on: how many games the draft pick has played, Pro Bowl appearances, first-team All-Pro selections and awards like MVP and Rookie of the Year. We also factored in how much the team has won during the five years, because players on losing teams tend to have an easier path to playing time.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/21/nfl-draft-five-year-analysis-giants-one-of-the-surprises/

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Clearing Space

Likely [21.35 million]

OG Kyle Long 8.1 million

CB Prince Amukamara 8 million

WR Cordarelle Patterson 5.25 million

Possible [20.5 million]

Taylor Gabriel 4.5 million

Allen Robinson 13 million

Mike Davis 3 million

With the likely cuts the Bears would have 21.35 million in cap space. I do not think they will keep both Robinson and Gabriel so lets add 4.5 million make it an even 26 million.

I'll take a stab at this part.

I'll agree with you on Amukamara, and Gabriel for certain.  We've already brought in speed guys who can replace Gabe for far less money.  With two 2nds in 2020, a 4th and 2-3 5ths replacing Amukamara with a rookie is likely if that player is not already on the 90 man roster.  So that saves $12.5 mil.

I don't see us parting with ARob provided he responds in 2019 like the #1 WR he was signed to be.  And I'm still doubtful we'll part with Kyle Long either provided he remains healthy for 16 games.  The fall off without him has always been significant and his leadership is an X factor hard to replace.

Patterson could easily be a one year deal if players like Kerrith Whyte, Riley Ridley, and Emmanuel Hall all step up and grab key roster spots.  Like Gabriel moves have already been made that contemplate releasing him in 2020 if possible.  So add another $5.25 mil and we're at $17.5 mil.

Davis will have to prove his worth to justify $3 mil for a #2 RB and with a 3-4 picks in rounds 4 and 5 a cheaper replacement is possible so 50/50 on him for another $3 mil and we're at $20.5 mil still keeping Long and ARob who IMHO would be the most difficult to replace.

If our coaches have done a good job of developing some of the younger talent we may be a very small time player in FA and depending on their price tags look at the possibility of keeping Trevathan and possibly HHCD although I'm far less certain on him.  ILB may be tougher than SS unless Iggy can step up or we draft one higher.  SS can be drafted as well and Denmark provides and intriguing possibility there as well.

So is $20 mil give or take and whatever carry over or re-negotiation Pace can pull off good enough?

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

4 [Amos]

5 [Oakland]

6 [Howard]

Right now the Bears should have 8 picks in next years draft for those concerned with volume.

Hopefully Howard also nets us a 5th...then lets trade down in the 2nd and get a 3rd...when you look at what the Seahawks did and just how man overall trades there were in this draft it's looking easier and easier to move around the draft.

Looking more into the 2020 cap I am not overly worried considering were we could create space...

Allen Robinson...$13 million saving if cut...$15 million if still on the roster...I just can't see any reason given how this offence is designed to spread the ball around to pay one target so much.

Prince Amukamara...$9 million saving if cut...$10 million if still on the roster...no way we pay our starting CBs a combined $27.5 million...add in age and injury history as well as a potentially deep CB draft class and I see this is an easy cut.

Kyle Long...$8.1 million saving if cut...$9.6 million if still on the roster...this one is an easy cut and the change in contract this season makes it obvious.

Cordarrelle Patterson or Taylor Gabriel...$4.75 million or $4.5 million if cut...$5.75 million or $6.5 million if still on the roster...depending on who plays better in the Joker/Jet sweep role one of these two will go...

Those 4 cuts alone open up a potential $34.85 million in cap space to resign some of our younger players long term.

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

It's as likely they get rid of Floyd as anybody. 

With how overpaid EDGE players were this offseason, if we keep him through his 5th year option we are almost guaranteed a 3rd round compensatory pick at least. 

40 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

With how overpaid EDGE players were this offseason, if we keep him through his 5th year option we are almost guaranteed a 3rd round compensatory pick at least. 

I don’t know that he was advocating cutting him so much as trading him for a pick comparable to what we would expect as a comp pick. 

I guess I'm far less convinced Pace won't extend Floyd than some are.

From my perspective he's earned his 5th year option and now completely healthy for maybe the first time since year one he's ascending again as both and edge rushers and overall.  From November on last season he was a much better player and his stats show it.

It's unlikely he'll ever be one of the NFLs top pass rushers.  He never was in college either so why should we expect that would change?

But as he's added weight and NFL strength and he hasn't lost any speed or agility that I can tell he's become a very versatile ILB much like he was at Georgia.  He's a very good run defender, he has the skills to drop away in coverage and his sacks, pressures and TFLs accelerated quickly after his cast came off and from the 8th game on.

A full 16 games played as he was playing in the second half of 2018 would project as 8 sacks, 20 QB hits, and 16 TFLs.  Those are all impact plays.  IMHO it's a given we aren't gonna just pay him $13 mil in 2020 and simply let him walk for a late 3rd round compensatory pick.  Without an adequate replacement he's worth far more to us than that so I believe Pace and Laine will come up with a deal both sides can live with before 2020.

His 2019 salary is just $2.6 mil but by extending him and paying him his signing bonus ($10-$12 mil?) then we bring him up to the $13-$15 mil level for 2019 but with a much smaller cap hit with increasing salaries years 2-5 and $2-$2.5 mil a year in cap charges for his signing bonus.  I think anyway we look at it he's gonna be in the $12-$13 mil a year range based on AAV.  We just have to be cap smart as how we structure the deal.

Edited by soulman

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I don’t know that he was advocating cutting him so much as trading him for a pick comparable to what we would expect as a comp pick. 

I didn't mean anything about cutting him. I mean that after he walks the next year then we can get a compensatory pick. That was all I meant.

I was really getting into cap calculations and then Bears convert Macks salary and boom all this money comes in.

Since I don't know all cap tricks I am just going to shut up and also assume if we really, really want a guy we can sign him (within reason).