Doctson - Not Picking up the Option

RSkinGM

4 hours ago, Woz said:

Kind of a "trash for trash" deal there. I think both players probably would benefit from staying put this season and hope they can break out, which in turn would allow them to hit free agency running in 2020. Learning a whole new system (as well as finding a place to live) probably wouldn't help either player.

You are likely correct, I am just looking for a chance of this pick turning into something.  A change of scenery and coaching could go a long way.  At this point even if both players have break out seasons with their respective teams, the chances are high they move on next year.  With all the pressure that comes with 1st round picks, I am sure there is some sour grapes among the front office and players.  To me the Doctson experiment has run its course, at least in a Jay Gruden offense.  This would at least give us a chance to forge a new relationship with a high potential player.  

18 hours ago, offbyone said:

You are likely correct, I am just looking for a chance of this pick turning into something.  A change of scenery and coaching could go a long way.  At this point even if both players have break out seasons with their respective teams, the chances are high they move on next year.  With all the pressure that comes with 1st round picks, I am sure there is some sour grapes among the front office and players.  To me the Doctson experiment has run its course, at least in a Jay Gruden offense.  This would at least give us a chance to forge a new relationship with a high potential player.  

Doctson hasn’t lit the world on fire but from all accounts I think Treadwell has been far worse. I could be wrong but I thought I heard the Vikings were on the verge of cutting him last year he was so bad. 

• Like 1

I know crapping on him is all the rage right now but let’s all realize the best thing for the redskins right now would be for him to wake up and go off this year.  We could either keep him and roll the dice he’ll be just as good or let him walk and take the 3rd round comp pick.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I know crapping on him is all the rage right now but let’s all realize the best thing for the redskins right now would be for him to wake up and go off this year.  We could either keep him and roll the dice he’ll be just as good or let him walk and take the 3rd round comp pick.

This. If he can’t find it within him to play at a reasonably high level given the circumstances, then he ain’t cut to be an NFL starter. 

I believe the Redskins haven’t used him correctly, but at some point he needs to put it together or else. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This is where I'm at as well.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

This is where I'm at as well.

Going into year 4. At best he is a WR2, more likely a wr3. You don't pay those types of players 10+ million. Let him battle it out in camp and see where it pans out. If he is closer to wr3 then I believe it would be best to move on and develop these younger guys. Doctson is older than he should be on a rookie contract anyways. He was already 23 or something close when he came out. Its time to acknowledge that it was just a bad pick 

1 minute ago, Bo Duke said:

Going into year 4. At best he is a WR2, more likely a wr3. You don't pay those types of players 10+ million. Let him battle it out in camp and see where it pans out. If he is closer to wr3 then I believe it would be best to move on and develop these younger guys. Doctson is older than he should be on a rookie contract anyways. He was already 23 or something close when he came out. Its time to acknowledge that it was just a bad pick 

I agree. But your statement and MKnight82's statement are not mutually exclusive. If he goes off and shows up like a #1 in OTAs and camp, we can either trade him now or wait until 2020 and let him walk and pocket a 3rd.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I agree. But your statement and MKnight82's statement are not mutually exclusive. If he goes off and shows up like a #1 in OTAs and camp, we can either trade him now or wait until 2020 and let him walk and pocket a 3rd.

He probably doesn't have much trade value right now. Until he actually produced like a 1 in season his market value will be pretty low. We only would get a 3rd back if he signed a big contract with another team, which is unlikely. I'm hoping he plays well, I'm just not holding my breath. He cant separate from defenders, that's a trait most good receivers need to have to succeed. That's why Metcalf fell as far as he did 

• Like 1

Obviously the right move. I hope it provides some motivation for him. He’s flashed a lot of potential but needs to become a better route runner and needs to be more consistent this year if he wants a good long term deal from any team in the league, if not he’s probably looking at a Ryan Grant type contract from 2018.

My hope is he balls out with a 70 catch, 950 yard, 6 TD season. 

My expectation is that he has a 50 catch 600 yard, 4 TD season - similar to Grant in 2017 -/and the Redskins let him walk.

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I mean to his credit you have to be thrown the ball to make a impact. We haven’t had a QB who will just allow him to go get it. So of course he’s not going to maximize his production. 

He also has to run good routes and get open. Otherwise QBs will look the other way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

He also has to run good routes and get open. Otherwise QBs will look the other way.

He gets open. Maybe not the tightest routes but let him go to a team with a QB not afraid to throw a pick and he will shine

He has been a disappointment. But Kirk would in moments throw the ball up and Doc made those plays. At TCU he wasn’t out running wide open routes. But he came away with the ball. In moments he has came down with the ball here. Smith was never going to give Doc a chance and Cousins only did it rarely because he’s conservative too. Which is why I fell in love with Will Grier all year. He isn’t afraid to take chances. Either way I think Doc is a talented player I wish him the best hopefully that best is here because I think if a QB gives him a chance he will earn their trust.

Edited by ripsean21

On 5/12/2019 at 6:28 PM, ripsean21 said:

He gets open. Maybe not the tightest routes but let him go to a team with a QB not afraid to throw a pick and he will shine

He has been a disappointment. But Kirk would in moments throw the ball up and Doc made those plays. At TCU he wasn’t out running wide open routes. But he came away with the ball. In moments he has came down with the ball here. Smith was never going to give Doc a chance and Cousins only did it rarely because he’s conservative too. Which is why I fell in love with Will Grier all year. He isn’t afraid to take chances. Either way I think Doc is a talented player I wish him the best hopefully that best is here because I think if a QB gives him a chance he will earn their trust.

He doesn't get open. And he is thrown the ball. His catch rate in 2017 was like 20 points lower than the other receivers on the team. Those who didn't  like Cousins, blamed Kirk. So then, last year they get Alex Smith and Doctson has the same issues getting open and consistently catching the ball, especially contested catches which is supposed to be ”his thing.” I'm sorry, but we need to quite blaming other guys for when a guy doesn't perform well. It's Doctson’s fault, not the Qbs fault that he hasn't done more in his Redskins career so far.

On 5/12/2019 at 6:28 PM, ripsean21 said:

There's a difference between "he gets open" and "he gets open at the right time".

Chris Cooley has explained this ad nauseum and I wish I had a recording of it.

When the QB is at the line he's identifying what coverage the defense is in.

That tells him who he needs to work first.

When he's dropping back, if the primary is not winning at a certain point in his drop back, he HAS to turn them down and look elsewhere. He cannot continue to hold onto the ball, lock onto one receiver, and hope the receiver gets free. Sometimes, after not winning on their routes when they shouldve the receiver gets free. Or the QBs eyes have changed to the other side of the field and it frees up the S ptoviding help and this making the receiver look "open"

So, as Cooley explained, the receiver doesnt win when it counts. QB goes another direction.

This is on the receiver. And Doctson didnt do that. The only times he "got open" were when the QB had a day to throw.