OTA/Mini-camp Thread

ReggieCamp

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

Oh I totally agree. OTA is truly only important to the QBs and the fringe roster players and the dudes competing for a starting job. If you are a secure starter, OTAs are useless for you and do more damage than good. 

You will have to forgive my naivety but I guess I'm a little confused as to why it's important for QB's to be at OTA's but not WR's? 

• Is it because they don't do as much physical activity as the WR's?
  • Is it because they have to learn a new system?
  • is it because they have to get reps with the WR's that are there?
  • Is it because the QB's are the leaders of the team?

Besides the 1st bullet point, in my eyes, I just can't see any valid reason why a QB (or any player for that matter) needs to be at OTA's and WR's (namely OBJ) don't. I will be honest, I have been a little disappointed that OBJ hasn't been at all of the OTA's.  I just feel that he would have benefited immensely by being there. Learning a brand new system, getting his timing down with Baker, getting to know new teammates.  As funny as this sounds, I would have felt better with OBJ missing OTA's next year because he would have gone through an entire offseason program this year.  Oh well, this is not shocking in regards to OBJ.  This is something you have to expect.

Peace!!!

17 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

You will have to forgive my naivety but I guess I'm a little confused as to why it's important for QB's to be at OTA's but not WR's? 

• Is it because they don't do as much physical activity as the WR's?
  • Is it because they have to learn a new system?
  • is it because they have to get reps with the WR's that are there?
  • Is it because the QB's are the leaders of the team?

Besides the 1st bullet point, in my eyes, I just can't see any valid reason why a QB (or any player for that matter) needs to be at OTA's and WR's (namely OBJ) don't. I will be honest, I have been a little disappointed that OBJ hasn't been at all of the OTA's.  I just feel that he would have benefited immensely by being there. Learning a brand new system, getting his timing down with Baker, getting to know new teammates.  As funny as this sounds, I would have felt better with OBJ missing OTA's next year because he would have gone through an entire offseason program this year.  Oh well, this is not shocking in regards to OBJ.  This is something you have to expect.

Peace!!!

To me, it’s because QBs are the leadership position. That’s why they need to be there IMO. 

Well I know a lot of the dates OBJ is missing have all been approved by the team. 

I’ll worry about OBJ when he starts free lancing and the team having no idea where he is at or what he is doing and there being no communication. 

• Like 1

Tom Brady skips OTAs.....

No veteran player NEEDS to be there.  That's why they are voluntary.   Would it be more beneficial for the team if they were all there?  Yes.  But as long as they are working on themselves, I don't have an issue with anyone who is a secure starter missing whatever they deem necessary for their mental health, and well being.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

No veteran player NEEDS to be there.  That's why they are voluntary.   Would it be more beneficial for the team if they were all there?  Yes.  But as long as they are working on themselves, I don't have an issue with anyone who is a secure starter missing whatever they deem necessary for their mental health, and well being.  

Yeah they’re irrelevant for established vets.

OBJ and Baker are going to be just fine. They don’t need a camp in May.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomahawk said:

Brady didn’t skip his first set of OTAs until after his 17th season. 

I want the QB being there but I wouldn’t want him doing anything really. Kinda like how tOSU treat their starters in the spring. When a starter has accumulated enough snaps in their career they hold them out of the spring practices because they prolly won’t get any better, allows the depth to get better, and limits injuries.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, like he needed all those reps with the ones last preseason?

He’ll figure it out.

I wonder if everything is overrated like chemistry, familiarity, experience, learning a new offense, having new coaches etc... I mean all of those excuses get used all of the time for a QB who doesn't do well and our QB went through all of it as a rookie and succeeded anyway. I'm sure there is a chance that Baker is just that far advanced in intangibles but it seems like since we've seen it done that it is more of an excuse for someone having a bad year than the main reason the player had a bad year.

If you liked Couch, Holcomb, Anderson or even Quinn, Kessler or Kizer (or any other QB) you (we) certainly have made excuses for failures that have occurred. Bad line, bad coaching, bad supporting cast... Mayfield put up better numbers after Hue/Haley but even with them there was no doubt he was doing very well and what seemed like a less than great supporting cast going into last year turned into a great supporting cast by the end of the year. I can't give Mayfield much credit for Chubb's success other than teams had to worry about our passing game for once but Landry, Njoku, Higgins, Callaway was well, something. We didn't know what exactly but midway through the Jets game it looked like they certainly weren't doing enough to make our offense a threat. Enter Mayfield and now there is worry there aren't enough footballs to go around. Throw in OBJ and there aren't enough balls to go around. We'll have to let Landry/OBJ throw a pass per game to keep them satisfied with their lack of targets. Well, that or win a lot.

I have no idea of what my point was other than yeah, I agree Baker will figure it out. OBJ goes into crazy speed when the ball is in the air. He makes the adjustments so Baker doesn't really have to be pinpoint with him.

35 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I wonder if everything is overrated like chemistry, familiarity, experience, learning a new offense, having new coaches etc... I mean all of those excuses get used all of the time for a QB who doesn't do well and our QB went through all of it as a rookie and succeeded anyway. I'm sure there is a chance that Baker is just that far advanced in intangibles but it seems like since we've seen it done that it is more of an excuse for someone having a bad year than the main reason the player had a bad year.

If you liked Couch, Holcomb, Anderson or even Quinn, Kessler or Kizer (or any other QB) you (we) certainly have made excuses for failures that have occurred. Bad line, bad coaching, bad supporting cast... Mayfield put up better numbers after Hue/Haley but even with them there was no doubt he was doing very well and what seemed like a less than great supporting cast going into last year turned into a great supporting cast by the end of the year. I can't give Mayfield much credit for Chubb's success other than teams had to worry about our passing game for once but Landry, Njoku, Higgins, Callaway was well, something. We didn't know what exactly but midway through the Jets game it looked like they certainly weren't doing enough to make our offense a threat. Enter Mayfield and now there is worry there aren't enough footballs to go around. Throw in OBJ and there aren't enough balls to go around. We'll have to let Landry/OBJ throw a pass per game to keep them satisfied with their lack of targets. Well, that or win a lot.

I have no idea of what my point was other than yeah, I agree Baker will figure it out. OBJ goes into crazy speed when the ball is in the air. He makes the adjustments so Baker doesn't really have to be pinpoint with him.

I don’t think they’re overrated per se, but at the end of the day you need to be good at football or the rest doesn’t really matter.  Baker looks to be a legit franchise QB (or at least he did last year).  Everyone else here was a turd.

As far as the camp, he’s not a rookie and the offense is using the same verbiage.  Same C snapping him the ball.

The whole receiving corp and RB room is returning, as is 4/5 OL.  The new additions are either also not rookies or elite NFL talents.

All I’m saying is I don’t think there’s anything that’s gonna happen at an OTA that can’t be figured out in August be it for Baker or nay other non rookie.

Camps like this imo are just a time for rookies and new fringe roster guys to get up to speed before TC starts.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think they’re overrated per se, but at the end of the day you need to be good at football or the rest doesn’t really matter.  Baker looks to be a legit franchise QB (or at least he did last year).  Everyone else here was a turd.

As far as the camp, he’s not a rookie and the offense is using the same verbiage.  Same C snapping him the ball.

The whole receiving corp and RB room is returning, as is 4/5 OL.  The new additions are either also not rookies or elite NFL talents.

All I’m saying is I don’t think there’s anything that’s gonna happen at an OTA that can’t be figured out in August be it for Baker or nay other non rookie.

Camps like this imo are just a time for rookies and new fringe roster guys to get up to speed before TC starts.

Yeah and to hang out with friends. For those who love football it gives them a chance to work on what they love. If you are motivated by money (which is a good motivator) and are nearing contract time I can see avoiding OTAs. If it's just a job you probably won't be there or will be reluctant to be there.

10 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah and to hang out with friends. For those who love football it gives them a chance to work on what they love. If you are motivated by money (which is a good motivator) and are nearing contract time I can see avoiding OTAs. If it's just a job you probably won't be there or will be reluctant to be there.

I think part of it too is your offseason training regimen.

A lot of plans are set to 8-10-12 week intervals and I think some of the vets would rather be in peak conditioning, healed up and ready to roll than break their training up to come play catch against the future insurance salesmen of America. I prolly would anyway.  

This game is about being able to perform on game day, not in May, especially for established stars.

For me and my job I equate it to attending every CPR course in the hospital.  After you’ve done the thing a few times and experienced a few dozen codes, showing an instructor you know how to do compressions on a mannequin is pretty pointless.  When the time comes, those with experience will know what to do.  It’s good for the newer folks though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'd love to see Baker  getting used to odells speed on his breaks, he went of seen anything like that before.

He saw it last off season. He was throwing to Odell and Jarvis in LA on there own time, They also have said they are going to do the samething again this year

• Like 1