Redskins and Scherff working on contract extension

turtle28

18 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

True. So there's his competition, a young hungry guy making sure Chase doesn't get too comfortable. Is Piershchbacer going take Chase spot this year? Probaly not. In a year or two? Possibly. Making Chase a possible expendable piece in the future. 

And I think that was part of the plan: if Roullier wants more than they are willing to pay, they'll collect a 3rd round compensatory pick and let him walk.

This is why I say you should draft linemen every year.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Why would they need to address center? I would assume the idea for LG is Wes Martin or possibly Ross P. 

Center is the second most important position on the offensive line. Maybe even the most important.

34 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Center is the second most important position on the offensive line. Maybe even the most important.

Chase Roullier has been pretty good dude. LG certainly needs to be addressed but I think we’re fine at center. I’m not sold on Wes Martin at all and Flowers is going to be a disaster and I bet he’s cut before the season starts. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t overpay for Scherff tbh. I could see if he was a Quenten Nelson type of prospect/player, then I would let him reset the guard market. But even though he’s a beast in the run game, he has been so-so in pass protection and I don’t want to pay top money for that, especially with it looking like injuries could be a cause for concern going forward. 

3 hours ago, Slateman said:

They did address center. They drafted Ross P who was a 3-year starter at center at Alabama.

Agreed that center is the 2nd most important position on the OL and it has been addressed in two of the last 3 drafts.

5 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

I wouldn’t overpay for Scherff tbh. I could see if he was a Quenten Nelson type of prospect/player, then I would let him reset the guard market. But even though he’s a beast in the run game, he has been so-so in pass protection and I don’t want to pay top money for that, especially with it looking like injuries could be a cause for concern going forward. 

The issue is w/o him does our OL begin to unravel?

I think so, just look at how poorly our OL started to play after he tore his pec last year. 

9 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

The issue is w/o him does our OL begin to unravel?

I think so, just look at how poorly our OL started to play after he tore his pec last year. 

I don't know about this. I think it is more due to the fact that we only realistically had three quality starters (Williams, Moses, and Scherff) and two okay linemen (Roullier (he kind of straddles the border) and Nsekhe) ... and a wasteland of talent behind them.

When you only have four or five NFL caliber players and you lose one, there's no real recovery path. It didn't really matter who they lost because they were paper thin. It just happened that Scherff was first to go down.

44 minutes ago, Woz said:

I don't know about this. I think it is more due to the fact that we only realistically had three quality starters (Williams, Moses, and Scherff) and two okay linemen (Roullier (he kind of straddles the border) and Nsekhe) ... and a wasteland of talent behind them.

When you only have four or five NFL caliber players and you lose one, there's no real recovery path. It didn't really matter who they lost because they were paper thin. It just happened that Scherff was first to go down.

IMO Scherff is our best offensive lineman.

9 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Probably true but all he has to beat is T Will,, and it's a close race . 

Definitely a close race but I think currently given TWills age and injuries over the last 4 years that Scherff is about to pass him or already has as our best OL.

If Moses could stay healthy, he’d be a lot better but for the last 3 years he's battled knee and ankle injuries too.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:58 AM, turtle28 said:

They did address center. They drafted Ross P who was a 3-year starter at center at Alabama.

Agreed that center is the 2nd most important position on the OL and it has been addressed in two of the last 3 drafts.

Pierschbacher only has one year at guard. And he only moved there in his senior year to improve his draft stock.

Hes a 4th round pick. Adjust expectations accordingly.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:42 AM, lavar703 said:

Chase Roullier has been pretty good dude. LG certainly needs to be addressed but I think we’re fine at center. I’m not sold on Wes Martin at all and Flowers is going to be a disaster and I bet he’s cut before the season starts. 

He hasnt. And I'm not willing to bet the future of the offensive line in Roullier. We need a high level Center far more than overpaying for a guard .

6 minutes ago, Slateman said:

He hasnt. And I'm not willing to bet the future of the offensive line in Roullier. We need a high level Center far more than overpaying for a guard .

Hard to judge Roullier when he had replacement guards on both sides for the majority of last year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Hard to judge Roullier when he had replacement guards on both sides for the majority of last year.

This. Also, even with the trash around him, he played pretty damn well:

And in 2017:

The Redskins also got a nice rookie season from center Chase Roullier, who ended the campaign with a pass-blocking efficiency of 98.4, the highest rating recorded by a rookie center since Nick Mangold (99.4) in 2006. If they can stay healthy, the Redskins have the making of one of the better offensive lines in football as we look ahead to 2018.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-offensive-lines-by-pass-blocking-efficiency

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

This. Also, even with the trash around him, he played pretty damn well:

And in 2017:

The Redskins also got a nice rookie season from center Chase Roullier, who ended the campaign with a pass-blocking efficiency of 98.4, the highest rating recorded by a rookie center since Nick Mangold (99.4) in 2006. If they can stay healthy, the Redskins have the making of one of the better offensive lines in football as we look ahead to 2018.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-offensive-lines-by-pass-blocking-efficiency

Seems to me Chase is heading in the right direction. LG is the most important position that needs to be addressed on the OLine. Hopefully someone steps up this season or they address the whole next season. They could still add someone with 4 months until the season starts.