2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I don't think Delpit is going to pass Mayock's evaluation. Two many missed tackles, doesn't play physical which are staples for Mayock. He's to finesse of a player IMO for Mayock and Guenther. Though I think he's a very skilled player. I just think Mayock wants a certain breed on defense and it starts with being physical. 

I agree. It's why I'm worried he'll pick Murray over Queen. He's also all about speed on defense though. I don't think Delpit is a Mayock guy. But I do think some of the mid round safeties (e.g. winfield jr, dugger (arguably a LB)) very much are.

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Murray is growing on me tbh. I used to hate the idea of him at #19 but I'd be content with either he or Queen.

Can he cover though? He's be a scary MLB because he's physical and very fast, but is he athletic enough to cover like Queen? That's my concern with him.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Can he cover though? He's be a scary MLB because he's physical and very fast, but is he athletic enough to cover like Queen? That's my concern with him.

Here's some notes about his pass coverage from some scouting reports:

Murray is an asset in pass coverage too. Team sources like his athleticism and coverage ability, which are vital to be a three-down starter and difference-maker for a non-pass-rushing linebacker in the modern NFL. He covers a lot of ground in zone coverage, is a smooth mover in space, and does a nice job of disrupting throwing lanes. His size and athleticism allow him to have the potential to play some man coverage on tight ends and backs out of the backfield. On dump-off passes to the flat, Murray explodes into the ball-carrier and is very good at making tackles in space. He has the speed to run down the middle seam as well. Murray's skill set and instincts make him an excellent spy to help neutralize a mobile quarterback as well.

Man Cover Ability: Infrequently used in man coverage responsibilities but clearly has some translatable ability. Length and explosiveness helps him stay connected on tight end routes, but he's able to flip his hips and carry crossers opposite him given his athletic ability. Has no experience carrying routes downfield and cannot be trusted early to tag seam runners or wheels, though the potential is there. Concerning blitz rate in man coverage concepts indicates he's being hidden.

Zone Cover Ability: Solid zone coverage player in simple responsibilities at this time, but more will be needed from him in the league. Controlled and fluid in most of his drops, though he can get suckered in by backfield action/QB eyes and get happy feet, squaring himself to the line of scrimmage. Does not yet have good instincts for routes developing behind him and will unintentionally overlap with his teammates, exposing players in space. Struggles mightily to recover after play-action gets him into the backfield. Experience needed here.

• Like 1

In regards to Queen and Murray I think both will be there at 19.  However, if we have a specific one in mind, I’m not sure we trade down as I feel like Jags have an extremely high likelyhood of taking a LB at 20. 

as to who I personally prefer, it depends on who we sign in FA with the very big assumption that we manage to sign either Schobert or Littleton.

I’d be extremely happy with either combo:

Schobert (MLB) and Queen (WLB)

or

Murray (MLB) and Littleton (WLB)

Edited by 101Raider

22 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

In regards to Queen and Murray I think both will be there at 19.  However, if we have a specific one in mind, I’m not sure we trade down as I feel like Jags have an extremely high likelyhood of taking a LB at 20. 

as to who I personally prefer, it depends on who we sign in FA with the very big assumption that we manage to sign either Schobert or Littleton.

I’d be extremely happy with either combo:

Schobert (MLB) and Queen (WLB)

or

Murray (MLB) and Littleton (WLB)

I think Queen is better suited to play MLB but would excel at WLB too. While Murray on tmthe other hand could be a starter at WLB but would be a bust as a MLB.

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Carr played in the same conference, on a way more talented offense, probably 5x more talent. Actually, probably 8-9x more talent. Love doesn’t have “windows”. 

When Carr finally played USC, he looked completely dumbfounded. Happy feet, panicking under pressure, was getting fooled by standard NFL level coverages, etc. USC made Carr look like a joke. USC was ranked 19th. Carr finished that game with 217 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, and a whopping 4.0 YPA. Yeah, you read that right. 4 YPA. Carr has been checkdown charlie since college.

In 2018, Jordan Love played Boise State which was ranked 22nd. Second to last week of the season. Pretty similar to USC. USC slightly better, but Carr way way more talent on Fresno State. Against Boise State,  Love finished with 363 yards, 7.7 YPA, and 3 TDs and 1 INT. And stayed in the game til the end. 

Stats aside though, you are drafting Love for his phenomenal talent. Laser arm, tremendous accuracy, tremendous pocket presence, tremendous off-script ability, and has shown the ability to throw completely contorted, from weird body angles, and multiple arm slots, while still firing off accurate lasers. No one does this besides Mahomes/Rodgers (younger Rodgers). He’ll be hard to stop if he gets a good grasp of NFL defenses. 

No one’s saying Love isn’t a project. He needs to be redshirted completely except maybe Week 16-17. However, I actually see very little risk in Love. Especially compared to Herbert and Eason. He has already shown he can make every NFL throw consistently, and his skillset is once in a blue moon. 

Nice post but what does Carr’s college career have to do with drafting Love? 

20 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Nobody was talking Mims until his combine.  🚩 Mims is a day two draft pick. 

Not gonna lie I thought he was a 4.5-4.6 guy the combine opened my eyes about why he was able to succeed the way he did. 

• Like 1