2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Tee Higgins is one of the few receivers in this class who wins with size and route running. He moves very well for a "big receiver". That kind of player tends to be successful at the next level.

IMO, if I were to prototype successful NFL wide receivers, you need to have one of these 3 things:

Size/contested-catch ability

Elite speed/explosiveness

Route running/COD:

A good nfl receiver has 1 of these things. A great NFL receiver has at least 2, or is top 3 in one of these categories (e.g. hopkins is top 3 in contested catch ability, but i wouldn't call him an elite route runner/speed guy).

• Like 1

If I were to go through the class and were to "stereotype" these receivers according to the grouping I feel they're strongest in:

Size/contested catch: Lamb, Higgins, Mims

Elite speed/explosiveness: Ruggs, Reagor (though he didn't test well because of all the added weight), Hamler 

Route running/COD: Jeudy, Jefferson

Obviously all receivers have a little bit of all of these, but depending on the "flavor" you're looking for, there's something for you.

I didn't list YAC because while YAC is obviously very important, very few NFL receivers make a living purely off of YAC. It's the reason that cordarrelle patterson didn't boom, even though he has physical gifts and is very fun in the open field. It's the same reason I'm wary of certain receivers (e.g. Aiyuk, Shenault) even though they obviously bring something to the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oakdb36 said:

Higgins 4.43 unofficial at Clemson's pro day. That's probably a 4.5 at the combine but that's fast enough.

This probably shot him back in the 1st (very end, like final 3-4 picks). I think the non-combine had put him in the 2nd Round. 

I have 7 WRs possibly going in the 1st which is insane. Might be like the most ever. In my latest mock I have Jeudy at 12, Ruggs at 13, Lamb at 15, Jefferson at 21, Mims at 22, Aiyuk at 24, and I think Higgins could sneak back into the 1st around 30 to Green Bay. 

21 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

I think it was a PFF article that had 15 WRs going in the top 66 picks. I don't think it happens but who knows.

I think 15 would be a bit much. Maybe 12-13. 

PFF also thinks Shenault is a Top-24 Lock. All of them say “lock”. Extremely bold  and unique claim that I think they end up wrong on. I think Laviska goes somewhere from 40 to Arizona to 59 to the Seahawks. 

43 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Tee Higgins is one of the few receivers in this class who wins with size and route running. He moves very well for a "big receiver". That kind of player tends to be successful at the next level.

IMO, if I were to prototype successful NFL wide receivers, you need to have one of these 3 things:

Size/contested-catch ability

Elite speed/explosiveness

Route running/COD:

A good nfl receiver has 1 of these things. A great NFL receiver has at least 2, or is top 3 in one of these categories (e.g. hopkins is top 3 in contested catch ability, but i wouldn't call him an elite route runner/speed guy).

I think of those three groups I’d say the Raiders would take a guy with size and contested catch ability to pair with Carr because that’s the kind of WR he’s thrived with. Although, if it’s just trying to fit a guy in there for Gruden I’d go with the route running and cod due to him wanting guys who can play any position. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I think of those three groups I’d say the Raiders would take a guy with size and contested-catch ability to pair with Carr because that’s the kind of WR he’s thrived with. Although, if it’s just trying to fit a guy in there for Gruden I’d go with the route running and cod due to him wanting guys who can play any position. 

The "feed me" guys are Lamb and Jeudy for sure. Ruggs is the "change the game with 1 play" type of dude, who I'm sure gruden will be salivating over as well.

I think anything past these rd 1 guys, the FO will want technicians (e.g. van jefferson, KJ hill, etc.)

12 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I do get the strong feeling that the Raiders really like Murray. Like might take him at 12 like. 

I really hope Mayock learned some "value" lessons from his first draft (Ferrell at 4). I think we take WR at 12. If we take Murray over Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs, I'll break something.

• Like 3

Mims in the first round is so laughable, DK is a better WR then Mims and came out in a terrible WR class and still went at the end of the 2nd! Mims as a first rounder is hilarious. 

Juedy, Lamb, Ruggs, and Higgins are in a clear tier above everyone else...

Jefferson, Aiyuk and Shenault are the only other guys I would take in the end of the first round if the board fell that way where there no other value at a position of need