2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Just now, Frankie2Gunz said:

I haven't done extensive research on Jeudy but what scares me is that he has had issues with drops, slender frame, isn't great on contested catches and hasn't been tested much against press coverage but what scares me most isn't necessary his fault.... 

He essentially played on a pro team in college that is littered with talent.  His QB was Tua who is allegedly going in the top 10 (I don't see it but that's another story), played alongside Ruggs which opposing coordinators had to factor into the game plan.  Is he truly elite of was he the benefactor of running free because there were so many other weapons that garnered attention.  The same can't be said with Lamb, who stepped up this season and dominated as the focal point of the O.  I'm going with Lamb all day long but I need to do more research on Jeudy.

The counterpoint is that Jeudy played in the SEC and was toasting everyone he went against. It's a shame bama didn't play OSU because I wanted to see Okudah and Jeudy go at it.

Lamb feasted on bad competition, but Hurts isn't exactly a world beater at qb so he certainly made the most of his situation.

I think Jeudy is more pro ready in terms of playing any WR position and lining up anywhere, but Lamb has a charisma and reliability about his game that is enticing. I feel like Lamb is the guy you "trust" when you need someone to make a play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't see how a part-time linebacker would be near the top of the team's needs with glaring needs at corner and receiver. Lee and a 3rd, 4th round player would be just fine.

I preface with: please don't take my tone as attacking. I'm just excited and this is my personal writing style. I feel like a disclaimer like this is necessary in today's internet...

Anyways, lemme help you out with understanding my perspective:

Near the top could be presumed as 3-5 on our teams needs, wouldn't you say? Top five, top ten.. just a few sayings thrown around when it comes to football/come draft time.

Now that we've got the semantics out of the way: I'm TOTALLY with you. We DEFINITELY need receiver and corner. I DO NOT DISCOUNT YOUR POINT.

But considering we have what, 3 backers on the roster? I'd say it's "near the top" or as you put it, a "glaring need."

Besides the two positions you mentioned, what other positions are arguably a bigger need? Safety? DT? My statement places linebacker above those two, which, I'm sure a lot of posters would agree with.

"Omg our linebackers suck! Omg I don't trust marquel! Omfg we only have marquel on the roster! Omg it's a nickel package league but we're so slow and lack talent!"

We still need DEPTH, and as I noted above, we have a lack of bodies at the position. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the signings, but I'm not crowning KT and Littleton just yet. Are they upgrades? Hell yeah I hope! Are they sure-fire starters? We have to see. I'm not comfortable putting all of our eggs in just those two basket, when we only have, again, three linebackers on the roster. Please don't throw out PS names and camp fodder.

Also, I said part time starter. Not a full-time starter. Injuries happen. Players don't live up to hype/their contract. 

Worst case scenario, do you feel comfortable throwing Lee and a low-pedigree rookie out there?

Edited by doctordeath

17 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The counterpoint is that Jeudy played in the SEC and was toasting everyone he went against. It's a shame bama didn't play OSU because I wanted to see Okudah and Jeudy go at it.

Lamb feasted on bad competition, but Hurts isn't exactly a world beater at qb so he certainly made the most of his situation.

I think Jeudy is more pro ready in terms of playing any WR position and lining up anywhere, but Lamb has a charisma and reliability about his game that is enticing. I feel like Lamb is the guy you "trust" when you need someone to make a play.

I don't argue alot of your points. But who else played with CeeDee at WR ? Bet you can name teammates of juedy :). QB obviously better

Another thing I was thinking about, do the free agent additions open up the door to taking a guy like Gross-Matos or Chaisson? DE is a spot where a good rotation is vital, and Gross-Matos could certainly find himself as the BPA at 19. Coming into the off season I expected us to have more pressing needs at LB and DT because I didn't expect us to land both Littleton and Collins, now that it has, I definitely think a DB is in play, but I also think edge could get serious consideration at 19. Max and Crosby will be given every chance to reach their potential, but another blue chip prospect with a sky high ceiling to rotate with them could make a lot of sense. 

I'm also very high on Gross-Matos. I think he's got the ability to be an impact pass rusher early in his career. With other needs being met I would strongly consider him if he were on the board at 19. Im a firm believer that games are won in the trenches. The OL is pretty much set. The DL has a nice mix of veteran production and youthful potential, but after Max and Ferrell it's somewhat thin.

Just something to think about. 

26 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Jeudy Lamb is going to be really tough. I think Jeudy edges Lamb, but Lamb has more upside and is a better fit for us.

Lamb for me by a good margin. I want a WR who is physical off the LOS and in contested catch. That's the big difference for me. In the NFL you don't get wide open a lot, you have to win with size and being physical. 

Jeudy, I see him drop a lot of balls when coverage is tight. That doesn't project well for a WR playing in traffic. He will beat guys with his routes, and get open sure. But can he take beat a physical CB? Can he catch it with someone draped all over him? This is where I had issues with Cooper. He would win with his feet against bad corners and get completely shutout against good corners who were physical with him. 

Ruggs... different animal. He wins with elite speed ala Tyreek Hill or Desean Jackson. Can just blow your doors off.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

I dont even lolo drafting a corner in 1st rd. Trading up and giving up assets to draft one would be disgusting.

For an elite prospect? Okudah is probably the best prospect at DB OSU has had and they’ve had a lot of talent.

10 minutes ago, roi34 said:

I don't argue alot of your points. But who else played with CeeDee at WR ? Bet you can name teammates of juedy :). QB obviously better

Oh 100% agree. That Alabama offense has ludicrous talent. Waddle Ruggs and Devonta Smith are all studs. Same with the run game, irv smith last year, you name it.

It's something to consider.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

Lamb for me by a good margin. I want a WR who is physical off the LOS and in contested catch. That's the big difference for me. In the NFL you don't get wide open a lot, you have to win with size and being physical. 

Jeudy, I see him drop a lot of balls when coverage is tight. That doesn't project well for a WR playing in traffic. He will beat guys with his routes, and get open sure. But can he take beat a physical CB? Can he catch it with someone draped all over him? This is where I had issues with Cooper. He would win with his feet against bad corners and get completely shutout against good corners who were physical with him. 

Ruggs... different animal. He wins with elite speed ala Tyreek Hill or Desean Jackson. Can just blow your doors off.

I think Hamler and Reagor are super underrated "speed" guys who we can trade up into the 2nd and land. Lamb is just an animal. His mindset alone is elite. He also reminds me of Allen Robinson, who's probably the most underrated WR in the NFL right now.

2 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

For an elite prospect? Okudah is probably the best prospect at DB OSU has had and they’ve had a lot of talent.

His feet move like magic and his hips are loser than and off strip Vegas slot machine. Best CB I've seen in awhile. In elite tier status of CBs that have come out. You could make a case he's the best overall player in this draft. 

• Like 2

Just now, big_palooka said:

His feet move like magic and his hips are loser than and off strip Vegas slot machine. Best CB I've seen in awhile. In elite tier status of CBs that have come out. You could make a case he's the best overall player in this draft. 

Okudah is like prime Chris Harris right out of the box. Elite body type for "my" kind of corner (5-10-6 feet), super fluid hips, great ball skills, physical, great technique, intelligent. He has it all.

• Like 3