2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

I'm going to start digging into the DBs more in the next week or two, but as far as safeties I think Delpit is the clear top guy at FS in the class, he has some holes but he also has some serious skills in areas that can make defenses go from good to great. He seems like a great fit next to Abrams too. 

Winfield Jr might be my top ranked safety overall though. He is super talented, super reliable in all areas, he has the bloodline and productive as they come. There is an injury history, but if everything checks out medically he's one of my favorites in the class. Definitely a guy I would target at 19 or with a trade down now that LB isn't such a pressing need. We like our safeties to be interchangeable, and he fits that mold more than Delpit who I think has a higher ceiling, but is going to have to be the rangey, over the top, ball hawking free safety and if asked to come up and make a lot of plays near the LOS that will struggle.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I'll disclaim this by saying I only watched Delpit in 2019, but he just looks bad to me. Bad tackled and bad in coverage. I can't imagine he'd go in the first round, especially with no testing numbers.

he played hurt last year, so they said

Pass on Delpit. Can grab FA FS on cheap probably. 

Rather get another LB or CB with 19 or trade down and do same. 

If one LB goes down we're back at square one. Can leave Murray on field with littleton for coverage and speed.

Just now, roi34 said:

If one LB goes down we're back at square one. Can leave Murray on field with littleton for coverage and speed.

I’d prefer to use a 3rd on a LB, a 1st on a guy who will only play on occasion or in case of injury is too rich. I rather draft and develop a guy like Malik Harrison. Solid with upside. He’d probably start on last years team. 

10 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Depth is important and I by no means think that we should pass on a LB altogether in the draft, but unless Simmons falls to us at 12 I think taking a guy thats injury insurance and a situational player for the first year or two is a missed opportunity to add an immediate impact player and sure fire starter at a position of need. I really like Murray and want to talk myself into taking him at 19 still, but I just don't think taking a guy that early with the mindset that he will be valuable if an injury hits our starter is the right play in the first round. There's quite a few guys in the 3rd or 4th round range that make sense for depth and development purposes that I like. 

Delpit was looked at as one of the true blue chip prospects coming into the year. He dealt with an ankle injury this season, and while I won't excuse all of the poor play that flashed this past season, he still showed some really positive traits, and if you look at his 2018 tape it's phenomenal. We may be able to find a cheap FS in free agency, but his ceiling is super high, like one of the best safeties in the game high, that would be tough to pass at 19 for me personally. I like him more than any of the corners that are likely to be there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

Depth is important and I by no means think that we should pass on a LB altogether in the draft, but unless Simmons falls to us at 12 I think taking a guy thats injury insurance and a situational player for the first year or two is a missed opportunity to add an immediate impact player and sure fire starter at a position of need. I really like Murray and want to talk myself into taking him at 19 still, but I just don't think taking a guy that early with the mindset that he will be valuable if an injury hits our starter is the right play in the first round. There's quite a few guys in the 3rd or 4th round range that make sense for depth and development purposes that I like. 

Delpit was looked at as one of the true blue chip prospects coming into the year. He dealt with an ankle injury this season, and while I won't excuse all of the poor play that flashed this past season, he still showed some really positive traits, and if you look at his 2018 tape it's phenomenal. We may be able to find a cheap FS in free agency, but his ceiling is super high, like one of the best safeties in the game high, that would be tough to pass at 19 for me personally. I like him more than any of the corners that are likely to be there. 

Just don't see Delpit being that great too me at 19. Rather resign kojo. 

Rest of FA obviously determines where we go at 19. Maybe use it on QB or recoup 2nd and trade down in 1st. 

I can't disagree u want to add a starter in first. Murray may start though too. Kwit hasn't been a full time starter until injury this year. 

Edited by roi34

2 hours ago, FreshPrince said:

Didn’t mean to turn this into a Ferrell discussion. Wasn’t even saying it was a bad pick. Just tried pointing out that the draft is unpredictable. I used Ferrell as an example because I thought he was considered a bit of a reach but clearly I was mistaken. I’ll take the L. 

It was a reach in many peoples eyes, I just don’t think it was that big a reach and there were no trade down options.

anyways,,, you weren’t wrong and no need to say your mistaken or you need to take the L.... it’s all good bro

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Ferrell was widely considered as the logical choice for us at #4 when the first mock drafts came out once the season ended.  Just because some fans with websites dropped him a bit after the combine, etc doesn’t mean he magically became a late 1st prospect.

Yes, Josh Allen was a higher rated player but he didn’t fit our system as well.  He also got a lot of sacks from scheme / being unblocked.

In a dream world we trade down to 8-12 and take Ferrell but it was widely reported that wasn’t a viable option when the draft was in progress.

overall, it was a decent pick.  Wasn’t great value but we got our guy.  We could have done worse.

Damn, this sounds like a post I wrote 47 times last year word for word. Was refreshing to read again. Have a like. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, roi34 said:

Just don't see Delpit being that great too me at 19. Rather resign kojo. 

Rest of FA obviously determines where we go at 19. Maybe use it on QB or recoup 2nd and trade down in 1st. 

I can't disagree u want to add a starter in first. Murray may start though too. Kwit hasn't been a full time starter until injury this year. 

Yeah but he's being paid as a full time starter. Assuming he's healthy he's starting at one of the LB spots, as is Littleton. Who knows how it'll work out, but you aren't paying a guy either of their salaries to play rotation snaps. 

Murray could potentially beat him out, but then you just wasted resources financially. They'll want to give the guy they're paying 7 million a year the season to prove it was a good call, particularly at his age where he could just be hitting his prime. I'm of the opinion to add a LB in the third or fourth to compete and bring depth, and if for whatever reason Kwit doesn't work out you go back to the drawing board next season or hope the mid round rookie flashed potential. 

I'd rather use that first round pick to add another piece to the overall team, and preferably defense to help make the guys we just paid's job easier and put them in a better position to justify the assets we invested in them. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

I'm going to start digging into the DBs more in the next week or two, but as far as safeties I think Delpit is the clear top guy at FS in the class, he has some holes but he also has some serious skills in areas that can make defenses go from good to great. He seems like a great fit next to Abrams too. 

Winfield Jr might be my top ranked safety overall though. He is super talented, super reliable in all areas, he has the bloodline and productive as they come. There is an injury history, but if everything checks out medically he's one of my favorites in the class. Definitely a guy I would target at 19 or with a trade down now that LB isn't such a pressing need. We like our safeties to be interchangeable, and he fits that mold more than Delpit who I think has a higher ceiling, but is going to have to be the rangey, over the top, ball hawking free safety and if asked to come up and make a lot of plays near the LOS that will struggle.

I love Antoine Winfield Jr as well. Grows on me constantly. Wish we had a 2nd Rounder. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

Yeah but he's being paid as a full time starter. Assuming he's healthy he's starting at one of the LB spots, as is Littleton. Who knows how it'll work out, but you aren't paying a guy either of their salaries to play rotation snaps. 

Murray could potentially beat him out, but then you just wasted resources financially. They'll want to give the guy they're paying 7 million a year the season to prove it was a good call, particularly at his age where he could just be hitting his prime. I'm of the opinion to add a LB in the third or fourth to compete and bring depth, and if for whatever reason Kwit doesn't work out you go back to the drawing board next season or hope the mid round rookie flashed potential. 

I'd rather use that first round pick to add another piece to the overall team, and preferably defense to help make the guys we just paid's job easier and put them in a better position to justify the assets we invested in them. 

A well thought out reasonable response. And I agree. I think we go WR/defense probably corner 

• Like 2

The way FA is playing out, if Simmons slips at all, I say go get him. Raiders need 1 element on defense and that's what Simmons brings. They need that star power, that guy who just creates and makes it go. Simmons is the lightning rod they need on defense to really ramp up on defense. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

updated mock with all the moves

12) Henry Ruggs WR sold on this selection

19) Jaylon Johnson CB or FS Grant ... two studs

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jaylon-johnson?id=32194a4f-4834-1277-a78d-0224e4072abc

3rd/4th---------

• WR
  • LB
  • RB

could also look S, G

Nice to see Johnson get some love, I think he’s a perfect fit for us though I’d like to get him in the second ideally with a trade up or down. I wouldn’t be mad if we selected him at 19 but I think a few people might be thinking that’s way too high. I’d prefer Jeudy or Lamb at 12 but I could live with Riggs, there’s going to be a few really good guys available at WR, LB and RB that we can target in the 3rd and 4th. I like Pittman, Jefferson, Edwards, Davis-Gaither and Logan in this kind of range.

• Like 1