2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

24 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

@agarcia34 while it's a different situation Mayock also gave a 4 yr/$42M deal to a 5'8" nickel back in Joyner last offseason. 

Slot CBs are always on the small side. Don’t think I’ve seen a slot CB who was 6’1” or taller. I could be wrong on that tho. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Gladney has better feet, but they are the most physical corners. I'll take either, just don't like them in round 1. 

I will say Gladney is a freak and has held up against good competition. I wouldn't be against taking him.

• Like 2

just watched a little Gladney highlights earlier. definitely seems solid. I did like him knocking out the recievers mouthpiece in the first highlight. could've been a penalty and definitely will if hes in s&b.lol but I`ll take that  kind of mentality anyday.

ya both win.lol great speed and hustle by chaisson, however lamb was just turning upfield and KC was already at top speed. and yes I think chaisson would've caught juedy as well, no receiver catches that and can turn and instantly be at top speed...maybe t hill?  its a tie y`all. lol

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Gladney reminds me of a more grabby CHJ. He has some of Harris’ good but needs to trust his ability to make plays on the back without grabbing.

This is my biggest gripe on Gladney. I still like him but when you start digging into every play and not highlights, he’s the most grabby CB of the class of any of the Top 2 Round projected CBs. If he cleans it up, he could be one of the best corners of this class, if he doesn’t, he could be a penalty machine at the next level and fade into the dark pretty quick. 

I love his man coverage capabilities, solid speed, and just his tough demeanor though. He is definitely the dog I look for in football players. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 2

If anyone is interested, NFL has made the Official NFL Channel on SiriusXM free until May 15th because of coronavirus. Just download the app to your phone. 

They have great stuff every day. Good mix of analysis, entertainment, personalities, prospect and player interviews, etc. It’s absolutely nothing like ESPN and NFLN and media garbage you see on TV. Been listening for 4 years now. My favorite is Movin the Chains with Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller. The Channel for NFL is 88. 

Highly recommend. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Spent the last day digging into CBs more. Give me Jeff Gladney with a trade down.

Love his game. He's physical, quick and plays with an edge to him similar to Abram. Loves contact, looks for it in the run game. No fear in him at all.  

Excels in man coverage. Will need to add some weight to press physical WRs. His feet are awesome and he has good instincts in play recognition. 

I really like him. He's an absolute gamer. 

Gladney’s awesome but not sure if we’d draft him given his size.

Unless we take CJ Henderson at 12, I really want to trade down from 19 and grab a CB.

Theres a huge glut of late 1st/early 2nd CBs that’s hard to distinguish and 19 seems way too early:

AJ Terrell

Jeff Gladney

Kristian Fulton

Trevon Diggs

Noah Igbinoghenue

Jaylon Johnson

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Spent the last day digging into CBs more. Give me Jeff Gladney with a trade down.

Love his game. He's physical, quick and plays with an edge to him similar to Abram. Loves contact, looks for it in the run game. No fear in him at all.  

Excels in man coverage. Will need to add some weight to press physical WRs. His feet are awesome and he has good instincts in play recognition. 

I really like him. He's an absolute gamer. 

From PFF's draft guide: 

Gladney played both wide receiver and defensive back at New Boston, earning first-team all-district honors at defensive back as a junior, per TCU’s official athletic site. He recently landed at No. 13 on Bruce Feldman’s freaks list ahead of the 2019 season. Feldman called him “insanely strong for his size” and said he squats 620 pounds, benches 400 and cleans 400. Using his elite speed, Gladney has allowed minimal open targets downfield. In fact, over the past two years, he has forced tight coverage on 79.5% of his targets 10-plus yards downfield, whichwas the sixth best rate and nearly 20 percentage points above theFBS average. Gladney has forced the second most contestedtargets these last two seasons with 46 and he rarely lost onthose. On those 46, Gladney just allowed 10 to be caught whileforcing 27 incompletions. He took a step back from 2018,lowering his coverage grade from 90.3 to 72.7, but he was stillvery much a shutdown corner.

The reason why NFL evaluators covet speed so muchon the outside is because of this: you're going to lose a step at times. No one can perfectly stay on top of a wide receiver for an entire route and if there is one that does, chances are they'll get peppered underneath. If you don't have the speed to make back up that step, you've lost. And you've lost in the most valuable place on the football field to lose. Gladney personifies this as he got thrown at a ton in the Big-12 because he was prone to lose those steps. With his speed though, he consistently made that ground up and rarely lost down the football field. While he projects well at outside corner, we'd feel better if he added some strength to his frame.

Dane Brugler on Gladney

STRENGTHS: Quick-footed pedal to match receivers from press...above average speed with the wheels to recover in a hurry...athletic in space, controlling his throttle to stay within arm’s length of receivers...doesn’t have great height, but he has long arms...competes with the “my ball” mentality...always ball searching and does an extensive job playing through the hands and arms of the receiver at the catch point...no questions about his physical nature, getting into the frame of bigger receivers to win body position...good close on the football and arrives with violent intentions...physical tackler, dropping his pads and slamming his body into ball carriers with force...compiled a strong resume with 42 career starts with steady ball production.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks ideal height and bulk by NFL standards...prematurely opens his hips, creating more work for himself when attempting to redirect...route anticipation isn’t a strength of his game right now...late to adjust to route combinations, creating spacing issues...undisciplined with his downfield contact, making him an easy target for flags (drew three pass interference and two holding penalties in 2019)...kicked out of the Texas Tech game for targeting...usually gets his man on the ground, but not a fundamentally sound tackler...overemotional competitor, which leads to mistakes, especially in the heat of the moment...played through a meniscus injury as a senior, which required surgery (March 2020); tore his ACL and LCL in the first round of the playoffs his senior year in high school (December 2014).

SUMMARY: A four-year starter at TCU, Gladney was the starting left cornerback in head coach Gary Patterson’s press-heavy scheme, often trailing the opponent’s best receiver. He registered more passes defended (43) than starts (42) over his career and was one of only two FBS players (along with Amik Robertson) with at least 15 passes defended each of the last two seasons. Gladney has the athletic movement skills to pattern match from press and instinctively plays through the hands of the receiver. He isn’t a technically sound player with a bad habit of grabbing and gripping downfield. Overall, Gladney is a scrappy, quick-footed athlete with an ultra-competitive play personality and if he can improve his route anticipation and be more subtle with his physicality, he will be a decade-long NFL starter.

Edited by NYRaider

10 minutes ago, Chwf3rd25 said:

Unless we take CJ Henderson at 12, I really want to trade down from 19 and grab a CB.

Theres a huge glut of late 1st/early 2nd CBs that’s hard to distinguish and 19 seems way too early:

AJ Terrell

Jeff Gladney

Kristian Fulton

Trevon Diggs

Noah Igbinoghenue

Jaylon Johnson

A trade down is obviously ideal but we have to have a partner to make it happen. I could see a similar situation to last year where we wanted to move out of the 4th spot but couldn't find a trade partner so we went with Ferrell despite a lot of people saying it was a reach.

Just now, NYRaider said:

A trade down is obviously ideal but we have to have a partner to make it happen. I could see a similar situation to last year where we wanted to move out of the 4th spot but couldn't find a trade partner so we went with Ferrell despite a lot of people saying it was a reach.

Of course, just staying the ideal scenario.

Personally I prefer going CJ Henderson at 12 and then WR at 19 or later after a trade down.  I fee way more comfortable taking one of the tier 2 WRs at 19 then the group of WRs.