• Joe Namath
    • John Elway
    • Dan Marino
    • Jim Kelly
    • Boomer Esiason
    • Brett Favre
    • Roger Staubach

24 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Trent Dilfer won. Guess he's a stud too.

Trent Dilfer was so irrelevant to that team that they got rid of him in the season; the first time it has ever happened.

15 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Because of the media narrative, not Montana's play, on its own.

You might be right about that. 

Well, Montana was a straight up better quarterback than Bradshaw. There's that. I'm a Bradshaw defender cuz he was a completely different QB in big games, but he was insanely erratic everywhere else.

9 hours ago, Elky said:

Well, Montana was a straight up better quarterback than Bradshaw. There's that. I'm a Bradshaw defender cuz he was a completely different QB in big games, but he was insanely erratic everywhere else.

Bradshaw is underrated, (really to point of being sort of forgotten), and while Montana was better than he was, that doesn't mean Montana was the GOAT. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2019 at 6:56 PM, Heinz D. said:

Bradshaw is underrated, (really to point of being sort of forgotten), and while Montana was better than he was, that doesn't mean Montana was the GOAT. 

Bradshaw is indeed underrated; he's one of the greatest big game QBs of all time, but Montana was better in big games and more consistent. Montana lost his title as GOAT a long time ago to Brady.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 3

On 6/23/2019 at 2:18 PM, rfournier103 said:

Who was better in the 1970s? I don’t have the stats in front of me, but I bet he’s among the best statistically. 

Are you also saying that if his team lost but his numbers were a little better, you’d rank him higher?  

Statistically,  Bradshaw was behind Staubach, Tarkenton, and Anderson for sure. 

On 6/23/2019 at 1:54 PM, LieutenantGains said:

Staubach was the best QB of the 70's and the most underrated of all time.

Yea anyone who calls Staubach overrated needs to exit the discussion. To put it in comparison, Roger "The Dodger" Staubach was Aaron Rodgers before there was even a Aaron Rodgers. That man was lethal in crunch time with the physical ability to pull off the most amazing comebacks anyone had seen. The term Hail Mary pass was coined specifically because of Staubach ability to make them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Statistically,  Bradshaw was behind Staubach, Tarkenton, and Anderson for sure. 

Just not in the most important statistic. 

Why isn’t Anderson in the Hall of Fame? (Serious question)

Edited by rfournier103

1 hour ago, rfournier103 said:

Why isn’t Anderson in the Hall of Fame? (Serious question)

Because HoF voters overrate championships. What Anderson was doing in the 70s was verging on dominant, compared to the rest of the passers in the era, and was right there with Staubach and Tarkenton statistically. It isn't as if the Bengals were a terrible team, either - they had runs of excellence, it was just far tougher to get into the playoffs back then (3 div winners + 1 WC) so he had fewer chances to show up in the playoffs - so his 2-4 record there is meh, but his 93.6 rating is terrific. 

5 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

Why isn’t Anderson in the Hall of Fame?

Because it is the Hall of Fame not the Hall of Excellent Statistics. He got into only 1 Super Bowl and lost.

(See Norman Esiason)

On 6/23/2019 at 4:26 PM, Heinz D. said:

Because of the media narrative, not Montana's play, on its own.

You might be right about that. 

I love you Heinz, this is a really dumb take.  Until Kurt Warner put up the 3 greatest post season QB performances in history, Joe Montana was the #1 rated all time post season QB.  Yes the 9ers were loaded, for Joe's last couple years.  He won a superbowl before Jerry Rice, made KC a contender after doing nothing for the 80s before Joe.  He beat John Elway (who was a ridiculous 1 man show) in the SB twice.  He kept another HOF QB on the bench for 3 years.  Joe Montana was QB greatness defined for 20 years before we got the greatest QB rivalry in history with Brady/Manning.  If you want to say hes not top 3 but top 5, ok, I can see an argument, but that there are 20 better QBs in history?  Surely you cant be serious.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:47 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

I love you Heinz, this is a really dumb take.  Until Kurt Warner put up the 3 greatest post season QB performances in history, Joe Montana was the #1 rated all time post season QB.  Yes the 9ers were loaded, for Joe's last couple years.  He won a superbowl before Jerry Rice, made KC a contender after doing nothing for the 80s before Joe.  He beat John Elway (who was a ridiculous 1 man show) in the SB twice.  He kept another HOF QB on the bench for 3 years.  Joe Montana was QB greatness defined for 20 years before we got the greatest QB rivalry in history with Brady/Manning.  If you want to say hes not top 3 but top 5, ok, I can see an argument, but that there are 20 better QBs in history?  Surely you cant be serious.

I think Rice enters into it a great deal. If I said Montana's not top 20, I may have went too far. (Not gonna backtrack and see. :D

The 49ers were loaded for a good chunk of Montana's stint there, though. There really is no denying that. 

36 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think Rice enters into it a great deal. If I said Montana's not top 20, I may have went too far. (Not gonna backtrack and see. :D

The 49ers were loaded for a good chunk of Montana's stint there, though. There really is no denying that. 

Montana won 2 SBs w/o Rice and 2 w/ him.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 9:11 AM, carrolljcmc said:

That's why I have him #2, and Bradshaw #1.  Bradshaw had more skill players (Swann, Stallworth, Harris, Bleier, Grossman, Cunningham) than Aikman (Irvin, Smith, Novacek, (Harper was OVERRATED)), but didn't have the same O-Line as him, but Aikman didn't have the Steel Curtain defense that Bradshaw had.  The only reason Bradshaw has 1 more ring than Aikman is because Jackie Smith forgot how to catch.

Gotta love FF...

...so, which is it...are Swann/Harris and the rest of the crew overrated?  Or were they actual 'skill players' worthy of their HOF status??

You want to talk about talents 'carrying' a QB??  Look no further than Shannon Sharpe, TD, Rod Smith, McCaffery, Neil Smith, and Atwater...it's amazing what nearly 3800 Yds Rushing and 36 Rushing TDs, over a 2 year span, can do for a QB.

2 x SB MVP, 1 x NFL AP MVP, AP 1st Tm All-Pro and POY in 14 years  vs  1 x SB MVP, 1 x NFL AP MVP, and a 2nd Team All-Pro in 16 years

So, you want to try again??  Actually pick someone who's more deserving, like, well, Elway would be a good place to start...Namath was likely worse, and Aikman??  Seriously?? You are going to compare Emmitt Smith with Franco??  I love Franco, but. c'mon... And if you are going to try to say Aikman has 1 less SB because of Jackie Smith??  Well, let's not forget the TRUE hero of the Cowboys defeat of the Steelers in the 90s...so he'd STILL be 1 under...

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

...so, which is it...are Swann/Harris and the rest of the crew overrated?  Or were they actual 'skill players' worthy of their HOF status??

I would say the whole offense is over rated if you are comparing them to other HOF players. The QB/RB/WR combo was a good one but without that defense I don't think any of them would be in the HOF. A lot depends on the situation and they were in a good one. They were also good but If you remove one and place them on a random team I don't think that player makes the HOF.