• Joe Namath
    • John Elway
    • Dan Marino
    • Jim Kelly
    • Boomer Esiason
    • Brett Favre
    • Roger Staubach

13 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I would say the whole offense is over rated if you are comparing them to other HOF players. The QB/RB/WR combo was a good one but without that defense I don't think any of them would be in the HOF. A lot depends on the situation and they were in a good one. They were also good but If you remove one and place them on a random team I don't think that player makes the HOF.

Honestly...do you really believe that?  HOFers from that era???

Go ahead and honestly take a look, and compare like HOFers from that era...

And to the bolded??  Go ahead and put Griese on the Bengals...Staubach on the 49ers...etc...I'm sure the same doesn't apply to them, only 'Steeler' greats, because, well, they were Steelers, and thus, must be hated...

It's just par for the course, the Steeler hatred on this forum...they can't possibly unbiased...

Swann - Not ONLY was he a 1 x 1st Tm AP All-Pro/2 x 2nd Tm All-Pro AND a SB MVP, but in his short 9 year career, he accomplished the below...

Super Bowl Records (at time of retirement, 1982)

• [1st] Most Receptions, Career - 16
• [1st] Most Receiving Yards, Career - 364
• [1st] Most Receiving Yards, Game - 161 (Super Bowl X)
• [1st] Highest Punt Return Average, Game – 11.3 (Super Bowl IX)
• [Tied for 1st] Most Touchdown Receptions, Career - 3
• [2nd] Highest Average Per Reception, Career - 22.8
• [2nd] Most Combined Net Yards, Career - 391
• [Tied for 2nd] Most Touchdowns, Career - 3

He also had the same avg yds/season and avg yds/gm (47) as Fred Biletnikoff, which was 5yds less than John Stallworth (52), and avg TDs/season as Michael Irvin, who, quite frankly, enjoyed playing in 16 game seasons, in a more pass happy NFL, throughout total career.

I could fill up multiple pages defending Stallworth, Swann, Bradshaw, etc...doesn't matter though, the fact is, 'haters' opinions are impossible to sway, even with facts.  IT's funny how so many are perfectly fine with Terrell Davis being in the HOF, because he dominated a couple of seasons...well, guess what, so did Swann/Stallworth, and yes, they WERE regarded as being 'elite' at the time they played, and WERE considered a top-tier/top-3 WR at varying points through their careers.

Go ahead...take a REAL, unbiased, fact checking look at them all, compared to other players during their time...at age 32, in 1984, with Mark Malone/David Woodley splitting time at QB that season, meaning Stallworth was catching passes from a 2nd string QB for half the season...best fellow HOFers Steve Largeant, Art Monk, and James Lofton in Yds, including the great 'Marks' brothers (Duper/Clayton) and in TDs (for 2 of the 3), when they were in the primes of their careers (and yes, he did have to share tgts with another great WR...Lipps)...that's just one example, so yes, they (Swann/Stallworth) dominated their positional statistics while they were active...and isn't that what everyone clamors about here, as being worthy of being in the HOF??  Being one of the best at their position during their career??  Or does that only apply for Terrell Davis, who 'carried' Elway' during those seasons...or was it the other way around??

The double-standards employed on FF NFL Gen/Comp forums is rampant.  "X" Steeler didn;t deserve their HOF status because...(let...me...seeeee...which double-standard can I employ on this example to make my point...never dominated position...didn't play long enough/lacked bulk stats...was carried by "X" player...ooh...was carried by Steel Curtain--that's it!! That one will fit here...)

Go ahead and look--between 1975 and 1985...look at the WR stats (other than the bad statistical years due to injuries), and tell me that Swann, and/or Stallworth, were not in the mix at the top.

Bottom line...Steeler haters will always come up with whatever double-standard they want, in an attempt to defend their opinion...most recently it was Bettis, the double-standard, coupled with 'revisionist history'???  Perfect recipe for "He wasn't worthy..." 

3 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Most Receptions, Career - 16

Not impressive, equals one reception per quarter.

3 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Most Touchdown Receptions, Career - 3

Even less impressive because it means he got shut out in a Super Bowl.

What criteria are we using to qualify someone as a "QB?"  An career 11.9 APY?  A career 146 QB Rating?  Having both thrown multiple TD's and taken multiple sacks?

If so, I'm picking Ladainian Tomlinson... overrated because he might get injured.

• Like 4

On 7/15/2019 at 8:47 PM, The LBC said:

What criteria are we using to qualify someone as a "QB?"  An career 11.9 APY?  A career 146 QB Rating?  Having both thrown multiple TD's and taken multiple sacks?

If so, I'm picking Ladainian Tomlinson... overrated because he might get injured.

May this glorious meme never die

• Like 1

On 25/06/2019 at 6:47 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

Statistically,  Bradshaw was behind Staubach, Tarkenton, and Anderson for sure. 

Roger Staubach excelled within a highly-structured system of offense created by Tom Landry, who wasn't called "The Great Innovator" for nothing. Ken Anderson had some guy named Bill Walsh designing the offense and calling the plays for him. Even Fran Tarkenton ended up with an offensive coordinator before long. Terry Bradshaw called all his own plays. I bet Bradshaw would have been more efficient if he had somebody designing and calling the offense for him, like those other three QBs who are supposedly better than him.

On 11/07/2019 at 4:58 PM, Ward4HOF said:

...so, which is it...are Swann/Harris and the rest of the crew overrated?  Or were they actual 'skill players' worthy of their HOF status??

It depends. If we're talking about them specifically, then they're overrated, but if we're talking about Terry Bradshaw, then they're worthy Hall-of-Famers. This is standard operating procedure when discussing star players for the Steelers. They're all overrated, unless, of course, you need to use them to cut down a teammate of theirs, in which case they're great players. Truth is, there were no great players on any Steelers team that won a Super Bowl. They're all overrated because of all the great players around them, who all happen to be overrated. I hope this clears things up.

On 11/07/2019 at 6:08 PM, Thomas5737 said:

...If you remove one and place them on a random team I don't think that player makes the HOF.

That could apply to any Hall-of-Fame player. What if Roger Staubach didn't play in a highly-structure system of offense created by Tom Landry? What if Bill Walsh drafted Phil Simms instead of Joe Montana? What if Drew Bledsoe didn't get injured in 2001? Truth is, every player in the Hall of Fame today got there by having coaches and teammates who brought out the best in them. This isn't unique to Terry Bradshaw or Lynn Swann.

Edited by Bassomatic

Aikman is one of the most underrated QBs. Defenders at the time have said they have never seen a more accurate QB than Aikman. He may have not been the central figure of the offense, but they don't win 3 Super Bowls without him.

Edited by Elky