• Aaron Rodgers
    • Joe Namath
    • John Elway
    • Dan Marino
    • Jim Kelly
    • Boomer Esiason
    • Brett Favre
    • Roger Staubach

Dan Marino even having his name on this list is nothing short of EGREGIOUS.

Troy Aikman is probably the most overrated QB of all time. At no point in his career was he even close to the best QB in the NFL, let alone the NFC with guys like Steve Young, Brett Favre, and I'd even take Jim Kelly over him. Aikman had a HOF caliber TE pre injury in Novacek, a HOF RB in Emett, a HOF WR in Irvin, and several HOF OL, not to mention his loaded HOF star studded defense.

On 6/8/2019 at 7:58 PM, game3525 said:

Yeah, both Namath and Bradshaw are underrated. People look at the raw numbers, but the late 60s and 70s was the dead ball era. When you adjust their numbers to the era, they are clearcut top 5 QBs of their generation and deserve to be in the HOF.

The answer to the question is Elway. He really didn't become a top level QB till the mid 90s. He had been the league for well over a decade by then. Great player and I don't have a problem with him in the HOF, but he isn't a top 10 QB of all-time like many casual fans think he is. 

Namath's numbers were horrible even for 60/70s standards. The only reason we're talking about him is because he ran his mouth and didn't turn the ball over in the Super Bowl.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 1:07 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Elway was a top 3 QB in the league for most of his career and his late SB runs vaulted him into an all time discussion. He isn't in my top 10 but he is only overrated by the people that put him insanely high on lists. Stats don't tell his story, he was special he just wasn't ever up there with Marino/Montana in his era so he shouldn't be in discussion as the best ever because he wasn't a candidate for best in his era. Still an all time great. Probably comparable (in being listed, not as QBs) to Roethlisberger or Rivers from this era.

A lot of people put Elway too high on lists, and that is precisely why he is overrated. SI had him at #6 a couple years ago (link), CBS Sports had him at #4 (yep) (link) and NFL.com had him at #9 (link). Elway got a lot of hype throughout his entire career because he threw it hard and far. But other than that he didn't stand out from his peers in any way. Led the league just once in passing yards, and never in anything else of value (TDs, passer rating, YPA). He deserves credit for making it to 5 SBs, but he played poorly in three of them. He's fondly remembered and overrated because he played so great in his last SB, and went out on top.

Edited by childofpudding

33 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

A lot of people put Elway too high on lists, and that is precisely why he is overrated. SI had him at #6 a couple years ago (link), CBS Sports had him at #4 (yep) (link) and NFL.com had him at #9 (link). Elway got a lot of hype throughout his entire career because he threw it hard and far. But other than that he didn't stand out from his peers in any way. Led the league just once in passing yards, and never in anything else of value (TDs, passer rating, YPA). He deserves credit for making it to 5 SBs, but he played poorly in three of them. He's fondly remembered and overrated because he played so great in his last SB, and went out on top.

But Skip Bayless said Elway was the greatest QB he ever saw play.

2 hours ago, childofpudding said:

He was about as good as there was at extending drives and aside from his 3 SB visits in his prime he was clutch. Now those SB losses defined him until they won back to back with him playing a role but not being THE offense like in the 80s. He was good though, He'd keep drives going, especially late in games either with his arm or legs and that's why I think most had him above the Moon's, Esiason's, Kosar's etc... and only certainly behind Montana and Marino in his era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elky said:

Ya thats cool and all but he has the worst TD:INT ratio and it really isn't close.

He was third all-time during his era in ANY/A and that is a stat then generally penalizes guys who throw a ton of picks. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:41 PM, game3525 said:

He was third all-time during his era in ANY/A and that is a stat then generally penalizes guys who throw a ton of picks. 

I understand that Namath had talent that was largely hindered by his knees being shot. I even understand that he played a lot better in SB3 than his stats indicate. At the end of the day, however, he threw a LOT more interceptions than touchdowns, barely completed half his passes and even has a losing record as the starter and his stats at the time weren't even league average. If the Jets do not win Super Bowl III, he doesn't get in the HOF. Throwing random stats that coaches wouldn't give a damn about doesn't change things.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2019 at 7:49 AM, Elky said:

At the end of the day Namath threw a LOT more interceptions than touchdowns, barely completed half his passes and even has a losing record as the starter. If the Jets do not win Super Bowl III, he doesn't get in the HOF.

The ONLY argument for Namath being in the HoF is that it's the Hall of FAME, and while he was probably about average for his time (maybe 2 seasons where you go "WOW, is Namath good!" which aren't enough), he is one of the more famous figures. Of course, then William Perry has an argument to be inducted as well. 

But among his contemporaries, I'd put Starr, Dawson, Lamonica, Staubach, and Tarkenton as being clearly above Namath; 6th best in the AFL/NFL really doesn't merit inclusion if we're looking strictly at performance. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 3:56 AM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Namath isn't overrated in the least anymore, closer to underrated considering he is constantly brought up as the black sheep of the HOF and people love to pull up his stats with no context (that's not to say he isn't the black sheep of the HOF, but everyone knows it).

Aikman I feel falls in same territory. Not really overrated when nobody holds him in high regard.

Maybe Jim Kelly for me. Benefited a ton from being in a system beyond its' time, allowed him to really rack up the all time stats. He was pretty awful in the postseason. No QB puts up better numbers in the postseason than they did in regular season, but his really tumble. 

How does someone make the super bowl four years in a row if they are awful in the playoffs?

16 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

How does someone make the super bowl four years in a row if they are awful in the playoffs?

Their defense holds opponents to an average of 14.8 PPG in wins, that's how. 

In his 10 playoff games during those SB runs, he had a sub 80 passer rating half the time, and this isn't including the 1st Dallas SB where he threw 2 INTs in 7 passes before getting hurt.

Overall in the playoffs he a 72.3 passer rating, with only 21 TDs to 28 INTs in 17 starts.

Just giving a different way to look at it: I actually think that Namath, other than being in the Hall of Fame, is rated kinda where he should be on most people's QB boards. I doubt he sniffs anyone's top 50. Going by that standard of people's QB boards I would say Elway and Aikman would probably be the most overrated.