Official 2020 Non-Rush LB Thread

CalhounLambeau

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

@CalhounLambeau, you had a chance to watch David Woodward yet? I wasn't expecting him to declare, so I hadn't really seen him until today. Wow. He blew me away. Kid is a complete, three-down LB. Sideline-to-sideline speed, man and zone coverage ability, can play through blocks, and guys go down when he hits them. Also adept at forcing fumbles. He's going to fly up draft boards if he's healthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVeEZCOuV2k&t=19s

I cut this game for him a couple months ago. I haven't evaluated him but he showed well.

-----------------------------

On a separate note I'm cutting a Missouri game right now and their off-ball LB Nick Bolton (true sophomore) is something to keep an eye on for next year.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVeEZCOuV2k&t=19s

I cut this game for him a couple months ago. I haven't evaluated him but he showed well.

-----------------------------

On a separate note I'm cutting a Missouri game right now and their off-ball LB Nick Bolton (true sophomore) is something to keep an eye on for next year.

Have you watched Dante Olson out of Montana at all?

7 hours ago, Fureys49ers said:

What games did you watch @jrry32? And from what year? I was curious about him when I saw he declared but don’t remember being blown away.

The two that were up: SJSU and Wake Forest.

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

He's my LB2 after Simmons. Bugs me that Utah State never announced what his season ending injury was. 

Yeah, I'm sure it'll come out eventually.

7 hours ago, jrry32 said:

The two that were up: SJSU and Wake Forest.

Yeah, I'm sure it'll come out eventually.

The Wake Forest one was the film I watched, not sure about him really. He had some difference making plays for sure with the fumble force and the strip sack recovery for 6. But the force fumble he was left out in no mans land with his feet stuck in the mud initially against the QB on a half hearted juke and then chased down and got lucky when the QB was hesitant beyond the LOS. The strip sack I didn’t see much of a rush plan at all, ran almost standing straight up through a wide open lane and the RB missed horribly on a cut block attempt. Maybe I’m missing something or looking too hard and being too critical. But he’s consistently the last one to react on defense when the ball is snapped, like is still in his stance without movement a good half second behind everyone else, finds himself in no mans land often because of it and is late to react to the play almost every time with no real diagnosing of the play or instincts shown. Plays very tall with little power, probably due to his lack of leverage, and doesn’t appear to be the kind of athlete to make up for being a step behind. I don’t see the aggressive, attacking, instinctual, down hill mentality at all and neither the athleticism to be able to over come that.

Maybe it’s just a personal thing but give me a ILB like Britt everyday of the week over him. 

Edited by Fureys49ers

17 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

The Wake Forest one was the film I watched, not sure about him really. He had some difference making plays for sure with the fumble force and the strip sack recovery for 6. But the force fumble he was left out in no mans land with his feet stuck in the mud initially against the QB on a half hearted juke and then chased down and got lucky when the QB was hesitant beyond the LOS. The strip sack I didn’t see much of a rush plan at all, ran almost standing straight up through a wide open lane and the RB missed horribly on a cut block attempt. Maybe I’m missing something or looking too hard and being too critical. But he’s consistently the last one to react on defense when the ball is snapped, like is still in his stance without movement a good half second behind everyone else, finds himself in no mans land often because of it and is late to react to the play almost every time with no real diagnosing of the play or instincts shown. Plays very tall with little power, probably due to his lack of leverage, and doesn’t appear to be the kind of athlete to make up for being a step behind. I don’t see the aggressive, attacking, instinctual, down hill mentality at all and neither the athleticism to be able to over come that.

Maybe it’s just a personal thing but give me a ILB like Britt everyday of the week over him. 

Yeah, that's not what I saw at all. I saw a guy who rarely took false steps, had range to cover the entire field against the run, natural cover skills, and showed the ability to defeat blocks and make tackles in the running game. He was also very opportunistic when it comes to forcing fumbles. The only area where I felt he was lacking was pass rushing when asked to blitz, but with his coverage skills, that isn't an area where I'd use him often. As for the forced fumble play you referenced, it was an option play. He positioned himself outside to take away the pitch and force Newman inside. Newman did get by him, but Newman is an athletic QB. Woodward compensated for that by finishing the play and forcing the fumble. He showed discipline and motor on that play. The only real criticism is getting caught flat-footed, but I didn't see much of that from him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, that's not what I saw at all. I saw a guy who rarely took false steps, had range to cover the entire field against the run, natural cover skills, and showed the ability to defeat blocks and make tackles in the running game. He was also very opportunistic when it comes to forcing fumbles. The only area where I felt he was lacking was pass rushing when asked to blitz, but with his coverage skills, that isn't an area where I'd use him often. As for the forced fumble play you referenced, it was an option play. He positioned himself outside to take away the pitch and force Newman inside. Newman did get by him, but Newman is an athletic QB. Woodward compensated for that by finishing the play and forcing the fumble. He showed discipline and motor on that play. The only real criticism is getting caught flat-footed, but I didn't see much of that from him.

Hmm, I’ll have to take a deeper look. I’m just getting into the LBs so there’s still some more HW to do. Saw that it was an option play on that forced fumble but in the NFL getting caught flat footed and indecisive is death for a LB. You didn’t notice the half second late of reaction after the ball was snapped throughout his film though regardless of run, pass or his reads?

KJ Britt, Logan Wilson, and Jordyn Brooks are some guys I’ve watched some of and have come away impressed.

Edited by Fureys49ers
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Hmm, I’ll have to take a deeper look. I’m just getting into the LBs so there’s still some more HW to do. Saw that it was an option play on that forced fumble but in the NFL getting caught flat footed and indecisive is death for a LB. You didn’t notice the half second late of reaction after the ball was snapped throughout his film though regardless of run, pass or his reads?

KJ Britt, Logan Wilson, and Jordyn Brooks are some guys I’ve watched some of and have come away impressed.

Nah. I thought he was doing a nice job of reading his keys and moving in the right direction. I rarely saw him get fooled. I rarely saw him taking false steps. There are some LBs who are absolute bullets because they either freelance or the scheme allows them to attack. Woodward is asked more to read and react. I felt that he was typically reading it correctly and plenty quickly. I've really liked him and Evan Weaver thus far. But he's a better athlete than Weaver and can hold up in man coverage. Dye out of Oregon was also intriguing, but I feel like Woodward is a better version of him. Haven't watched the guys you've mentioned yet.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Nah. I thought he was doing a nice job of reading his keys and moving in the right direction. I rarely saw him get fooled. I rarely saw him taking false steps. There are some LBs who are absolute bullets because they either freelance or the scheme allows them to attack. Woodward is asked more to read and react. I felt that he was typically reading it correctly and plenty quickly. I've really liked him and Evan Weaver thus far. But he's a better athlete than Weaver and can hold up in man coverage. Dye out of Oregon was also intriguing, but I feel like Woodward is a better version of him. Haven't watched the guys you've mentioned yet.

Dye is another one I want to watch more. I can’t watch Weaver without my bias come into play, whether I’m over correcting it or not being realistic enough but love the way that dude plays ball. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Dye is another one I want to watch more. I can’t watch Weaver without my bias come into play, whether I’m over correcting it or not being realistic enough but love the way that dude plays ball. 

His instincts are phenomenal. I think the James Laurinaitis comparison I saw somewhere was spot on. 

23 minutes ago, CalhounLambeau said:

What's your opinion of him?
I think he got a Shrine Game invite, but no Senior Bowl. Read he was a pretty good athlete, like a low 4.6 40 and good strength. Honestly looks a bit like David Woodward in that cut, but maybe not quite as smooth dropping into coverage. The stack/shed, pursuit, sifting through trash, tackling, and instincts/awareness seem Woodward-esque, and yet he has like 7th round/udfa level hype. Can't wait to read about how he does in shrine game practices and see him in the game. Hopefully he gets a combine invite. His blitzing is just average, but I like most of what I've seen, which isn't very much.

Edited by Jeezla