Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

17 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Raekwon Davis is so damn disappointing. No way in hell I’m touching him in the first two rounds.

He is playing out of position. In the League he should be a LDE  in a 4/3. If he can gain some more strength and play with good leverage could be a 2 tech like Stroud or Lett.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:37 PM, Ragnarok said:

If Bosa can go #2 overall missing games due to injury, Chase Young can go #2 missing games due to draconian NCAA rules.

Honestly...maybe the best thing the NCAA could do for his NFL career is ban him for the season.  No Jaylon Smith chance.  

Sucks for tOSU, but oh well.

There's literally nothing short of a catastrophic injury that's going to affect Chase Young's draft stock.  Certainly not this.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:32 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

The future Redskin returns after another week.

Bengals have the #1 pick if it all goes down right now and they would take him.  And even if the Redskins picked #1 so they would cut Kerrigan or something? Clearly not moving on from Sweat and honestly I feel Young would be better in a 4/3 than a 3/4.  Regardless if they pick that high Andrew Thomas makes more sense than Chase Young for them honestly I would say.  Sure he could play 3/4 OLB but I do not believe that is the best fit for a player like him but will see.  

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

Why hasn’t Epenesa produced as much as expected?

Anthony Nelson, Parker Hesse and Matt Nelson are gone.  Anthony Nelson was a hell of a player and kept Epenesa free on the opposite edge.  The times I have watched him Epenesa this year he does not have much variation in his game, no 2nd pass rush move and does not use his hands a great deal.  Usually just beats guys off speed and a quick jump so I think that has something to do with that lack or production, less talent around him and no variation in his pass rush.  Still good player but I have him dropped down a little compared to where he was preseason and potentially.  He has disappointed a little this year no doubt but the season is not over quite yet, he has a huge test against Minnesota coming up.  

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Bengals have the #1 pick if it all goes down right now and they would take him.  And even if the Redskins picked #1 so they would cut Kerrigan or something? Clearly not moving on from Sweat and honestly I feel Young would be better in a 4/3 than a 3/4.  Regardless if they pick that high Andrew Thomas makes more sense than Chase Young for them honestly I would say.  Sure he could play 3/4 OLB but I do not believe that is the best fit for a player like him but will see.  

Anthony Nelson, Parker Hesse and Matt Nelson are gone.  Anthony Nelson was a hell of a player and kept Epenesa free on the opposite edge.  The times I have watched him Epenesa this year he does not have much variation in his game, no 2nd pass rush move and does not use his hands a great deal.  Usually just beats guys off speed and a quick jump so I think that has something to do with that lack or production, less talent around him and no variation in his pass rush.  Still good player but I have him dropped down a little compared to where he was preseason and potentially.  He has disappointed a little this year no doubt but the season is not over quite yet, he has a huge test against Minnesota coming up.  

What range do you have him at right now? As far as pick number value

Just now, Ozzy said:

1. Why would the Bengals not take a QB?  That makes zero sense to me.  They're clearly moving on from Dalton and they're in a prime spot to find their franchise guy at the most important position.  Do you really think they'll pass that up to move forward with Finley?

2. As sad as I am to say it, Kerrigan has severely regressed this year and looks like a shell of his former self.  On a rebuilding team, he sticks out like a sore thumb.  We can release him with no cap hit in 2020 and he deserves to go have playoff success on a contender, not be stuck in this dumpster-fire organization his whole career.

3. I agree that Young would be better in a 4-3.  I also think Payne, Allen and Sweat would be better in a 4-3.  Lucky for us, Manusky will not be the DC in 2020 and we will likely have a whole new coaching staff.  There's definitely no reason to believe the new DC wouldn't come in and change the defense to a 4-3 front, especially after we take Young.

4. Chase Young is a vastly superior prospect to Thomas IMO, so I would hate it if we reached for the inferior prospect at a less valuable position, but I also wouldn't be surprised if our idiotic FO did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

1. Why would the Bengals not take a QB?  That makes zero sense to me.  They're clearly moving on from Dalton and they're in a prime spot to find their franchise guy at the most important position.  Do you really think they'll pass that up to move forward with Finley?

2. As sad as I am to say it, Kerrigan has severely regressed this year and looks like a shell of his former self.  On a rebuilding team, he sticks out like a sore thumb.  We can release him with no cap hit in 2020 and he deserves to go have playoff success on a contender, not be stuck in this dumpster-fire organization his whole career.

3. I agree that Young would be better in a 4-3.  I also think Payne, Allen and Sweat would be better in a 4-3.  Lucky for us, Manusky will not be the DC in 2020 and we will likely have a whole new coaching staff.  There's definitely no reason to believe the new DC wouldn't come in and change the defense to a 4-3 front, especially after we take Young.

4. Chase Young is a vastly superior prospect to Thomas IMO, so I would hate it if we reached for the inferior prospect at a less valuable position, but I also wouldn't be surprised if our idiotic FO did.

True if they do switch to a 4/3 that would make a ton of sense, but could argue Sweat is better in a 3/4 than a 4/3 and same with Allen but he could be good anywhere really.  Not to mention Ioannidis is probably better in a 3/4 along with Tim Settle and Ryan Anderson arguably so a lot would have to change if they would indeed do that.  

The Bengals could take a QB but Finley they just picked and not sure they give up on him that quickly, and Dalton does have another year under contract so no absolute need for a QB right now next year, possibly the year after and beyond.  Atkins and Hubbard are decent but Dunlap is on the decline based on this season and surprisingly Carl Lawson has not broken out as a player like I thought he might so DE is absolutely on the board for the Bengals and would be smart to take him if they have the #1 pick.

As far as Andrew Thomas goes, to me he is clearly the best OT prospect in the up coming draft and it is not even really close.  Guy is a mauler and is strong, athletic and has been very solid and productive for a long time in college.  Only a JR of course but was a monster even last year as a SOPH, oh and his true FR year as well.  The guy can play, and if the Redskins got him they would be lucky I think since Trent Williams is long gone most likely.  He is only one of the best tackles in the NFL when healthy and Penn/Flowers are not going to take his place.  

15 minutes ago, Counselor said:

What range do you have him at right now? As far as pick number value

Maybe 15-20 range.  Yetur Gross-Matos I would take ahead of him potentially.  

Just now, Ozzy said:

The Bengals could take a QB but Finley they just picked and not sure they give up on him that quickly, and Dalton does have another year under contract so no absolute need for a QB right now next year, possibly the year after and beyond.  Atkins and Hubbard are decent but Dunlap is on the decline based on this season and surprisingly Carl Lawson has not broken out as a player like I thought he might so DE is absolutely on the board for the Bengals and would be smart to take him if they have the #1 pick.

They picked Finley in the 4th round.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

They picked Finley in the 4th round.

So, I think he had the talent to be a 2nd rounder and has a great mental makeup for a QB at the next level.  Sure they could go QB in this draft but why when they could also go QB 2nd round and unless they plan on cutting Andy Dalton it might be foolish to go QB at all.  What have three QBs on the roster two that you drafted back to back years?  Then what is Finley even there for?  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So, I think he had the talent to be a 2nd rounder and has a great mental makeup for a QB at the next level.  Sure they could go QB in this draft but why when they could also go QB 2nd round and unless they plan on cutting Andy Dalton it might be foolish to go QB at all.  What have three QBs on the roster two that you drafted back to back years?  Then what is Finley even there for?  

Benching Dalton strongly indicates he's moving on after the year.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True if they do switch to a 4/3 that would make a ton of sense, but could argue Sweat is better in a 3/4 than a 4/3 and same with Allen but he could be good anywhere really.  Not to mention Ioannidis is probably better in a 3/4 along with Tim Settle and Ryan Anderson arguably so a lot would have to change if they would indeed do that.  

As far as Andrew Thomas goes, to me he is clearly the best OT prospect in the up coming draft and it is not even really close.  Guy is a mauler and is strong, athletic and has been very solid and productive for a long time in college.  Only a JR of course but was a monster even last year as a SOPH, oh and his true FR year as well.  The guy can play, and if the Redskins got him they would be lucky I think since Trent Williams is long gone most likely.  He is only one of the best tackles in the NFL when healthy and Penn/Flowers are not going to take his place.

What makes you think Sweat is better as an OLB vs a DE?  I think DE is definitely his more natural position.

I think Ioannidis and Settle would be fine in a 4-3. Anderson would either move to SLB or be cut, doesn’t really matter to me. We’re not going to let a depth player’s fit determine our defensive philosophy. 

I think the main reason the new DC would be hesitant to switch to a 4-3 is because ILB is currently our weakest position group on defense (though Holcomb and SDH show promise). That could change next season with FA, the draft, and Reuben Foster’s possible return, but I could see the lack of quality starters at LB being the main reason they keep this a 3-4 defense. 

I don’t think any organization is banking on a 4th round QB being their savior, especially in a weak draft for QB. Dalton is as good as gone IMO. You don’t make a mid-season switch at QB and then expect to make the guy you benched a starter the following year, and I doubt Dalton is kept around as a back-up at that salary. 

I like Thomas and would have no issue taking him after the top 3, but I’m not a fan of reaching for need, especially when a possible generational prospect is available at the second most important position in football. 

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

What makes you think Sweat is better as an OLB vs a DE?  I think DE is definitely his more natural position.

I think Ioannidis and Settle would be fine in a 4-3. Anderson would either move to SLB or be cut, doesn’t really matter to me. We’re not going to let a depth player’s fit determine our defensive philosophy. 

I think the main reason the new DC would be hesitant to switch to a 4-3 is because ILB is currently our weakest position group on defense (though Holcomb and SDH show promise). That could change next season with FA, the draft, and Reuben Foster’s possible return, but I could see the lack of quality starters at LB being the main reason they keep this a 3-4 defense. 

I don’t think any organization is banking on a 4th round QB being their savior, especially in a weak draft for QB. Dalton is as good as gone IMO. You don’t make a mid-season switch at QB and then expect to make the guy you benched a starter the following year, and I doubt Dalton is kept around as a back-up at that salary. 

I like Thomas and would have no issue taking him after the top 3, but I’m not a fan of reaching for need, especially when a possible generational prospect is available at the second most important position in football. 

Putting an athlete like Sweat down on the line and rushing constantly is a little bit of a waste of his athletic ability.  Not to mention he is not amazing at the point of contact and might struggle holding the edge in a 4/3 where a 3/4 he can move around more and be dropped back in coverage more often and use that athletic ability and lack of power at the point of attack.  He is not great getting off blocks or at least was not in college, he won on that athletic ability and bending the edge, does not mean he could hold the edge though in a 4/3.

I agree Young would be too hard to pass up which is why if the Bengals pick they take him over a QB.  Because who are the choices, Tua who has health issues and Joe Burrow who is a little bit of a reach as the #1 overall pick with Chase Young sitting right there.  Chase Young should be the #1 pick in the draft right now but that could changed depending on how things go the rest of the season, but doubt it does.

Redskins have more of an issue with Haskins long term, I was not a huge fan of his on Ohio State and he has not looked great as a rookie.  Everyone ripped on Daniel Jones and Jones has looked far more comfortable at this level than Haskins has.  Maybe these last few weeks he will get a chance to settle in but clearly his accuracy was a little overrated in college when he gets pressure in the pocket now at the next level.  And I always said Ohio State was freaking stacked at WR last year which maybe inflated his success and how good he looks, and it shows in the NFL, he had better receivers in college than he does on the Redskins right now.  Obviously the best WR on the Redskins right now is McLaurin and he was not even the best WR on Ohio State last year, no way.  When it is all done seven receivers on that team last year with Haskins will be in the NFL potentially.  

14 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Thoughts on Curtis Weaver? 33 sacks in three years is impressive even in that conference. And the season isn’t over yet.

I have him as a late 1st round pick right now.  Great getting off blocks and could arguably play in a 3/4 or a 4/3.  Tough against the run and the pass, all around DL prospect for sure.