Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

1 hour ago, Raves said:

Considering Miami has 3 1st round picks so far plus other capital, this is probably the ideal draft for them in being able to select Chase Young #1 overall and drafting a QB with one of the other picks as this draft could potentially have Tua/Hurts/Herbert/Fromm/Love/Burrow to pick from as their QB.

I understand what you're saying, but that's just not how NFL teams work...and I know you know this. You can't afford to get your QB pick wrong. If Tua has a high grade, you don't pass on him for a QB lower on your board unless they essentially have the same grade. 

4 hours ago, Raves said:

Considering Miami has 3 1st round picks so far plus other capital, this is probably the ideal draft for them in being able to select Chase Young #1 overall and drafting a QB with one of the other picks as this draft could potentially have Tua/Hurts/Herbert/Fromm/Love/Burrow to pick from as their QB.

In theory, that sounds like a fantastic idea but right now the Steelers' FRP is currently slotted at 10.  Assuming they win tonight, that probably moves them to around 12.  When you're picking at 12, you're probably missing out on the top tier QBs (Tua, Herbert, and Burrow).  Do you really want to draft a flawed QB with the 10-15 pick?  If they pass on a QB at 1 (or wherever their FRP is), then they shouldn't be taking a QB.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

In theory, that sounds like a fantastic idea but right now the Steelers' FRP is currently slotted at 10.  Assuming they win tonight, that probably moves them to around 12.  When you're picking at 12, you're probably missing out on the top tier QBs (Tua, Herbert, and Burrow).  Do you really want to draft a flawed QB with the 10-15 pick?  If they pass on a QB at 1 (or wherever their FRP is), then they shouldn't be taking a QB.

To be fair the Dolphins are so far off from being competitive they need talent period, especially after doing the fire sale that they did.  I probably wouldn't even draft a QB this year unless someone like Fromm dropped to them in the 2nd.  Just get the BPA on the board period and then either Rosen shows the skills people thought he had next year or you're in the prime spot to draft someone like Trevor Lawrence.

Like most have already said, yeah he needs to go #1 overall in the up coming draft.  Could not have a better season honestly than he has already had, and he is not finished yet.  Amazing performance against Wisconsin and basically has made Van Lanen go back to school another year with how bad he made him look at times.  4 sacks and 2 forced fumbles, insane production in a big time game, totally unstoppable.

It is hard to think of any DE in recent memory that has been as dominating in the first 8 games as Chase Young has been.  Kid is killing everyone out there and putting up crazy high sack numbers without an out of this world DL around him either like Clemson was last year.  All the attention is on him and it still does not matter and still can get to the QB.

Edited by Ozzy

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I don't see anyone this year who can do what Nick Bosa is doing now. 

Chase Young? Mmmmmmmmmaybe.......but I doubt it.

You know that the 49ers have arguably the best young defensive line in the NFL, there is tons of talent around Bosa on the edge and most are all young players outside of Dee Ford.  It is a great front and Bosa is playing great so far this season.

You also probably know that Nick Bosa has never been as productive for a full season as Chase Young has been in only 8 games into this season.  He never put up the stats Chase Young is and Nick Bosa was surrounded by a lot more talent on Ohio State on the DL than Chase Young is this year.

Chase Young is a better DE prospect long term coming out of college than Nick Bosa and it is not even really close.  15.5 TFL, 13.5 sacks and 5 FF in 8 games so far, yeah Nick Bosa never did that while on Ohio State.  Sure is having a great rookie year so far but again look at the talent around him to keep him free and single blocked.  Nick Bosa might have a little better hand usage but Young is a better athlete, is longer and quicker off the ball, and is flat our destroying everyone so far this season and dominating like few others have in college football at defensive end over the past 20 or so years.  Not comparing the two, but Julius Peppers is one of the few that come to mind in being that consistently productive over a long period of time at DE and doing a variety of things at defensive end in college.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You know that the 49ers have arguably the best young defensive line in the NFL, there is tons of talent around Bosa on the edge and most are all young players outside of Dee Ford.  It is a great front and Bosa is playing great so far this season.

You also probably know that Nick Bosa has never been as productive for a full season as Chase Young has been in only 8 games into this season.  He never put up the stats Chase Young is and Nick Bosa was surrounded by a lot more talent on Ohio State on the DL than Chase Young is this year.

Chase Young is a better DE prospect long term coming out of college than Nick Bosa and it is not even really close.  15.5 TFL, 13.5 sacks and 5 FF in 8 games so far, yeah Nick Bosa never did that while on Ohio State.  Sure is having a great rookie year so far but again look at the talent around him to keep him free and single blocked.  Nick Bosa might have a little better hand usage but Young is a better athlete, is longer and quicker off the ball, and is flat our destroying everyone so far this season and dominating like few others have in college football at defensive end over the past 20 or so years.  Not comparing the two, but Julius Peppers is one of the few that come to mind in being that consistently productive over a long period of time at DE and doing a variety of things at defensive end in college.  

This is something we talked about in the niners forum. Would NB be able to dominate elite tackles on the next level? Some questions about his athleticism being elite and his length. He has a great motor and we knew he would dominate lesser tackles, but there was some talk he wouldn't be able to win consistently against elite tackles (who can?). He is a much much better athlete than I knew. He is flexible and has a lot of moves. Does a great job setting up his next move too. He's basically a 10 year vet in a 22 year olds body. He is waaay more athletic than his brother. 

Chase certainly has more upside for the reasons you just listed. I am the type who is infatuated with upside. It's why I really loved Josh Allen this year and wanted the niners to move back and take him. Would have been a worse schematic fit for us, and bosa was the missing piece of the puzzle, as you say, so it worked out great for us and the jaguars. He is a better schematic fit for them and is super super versatile. His length bend quickness combo gives Allen a higher upside, but bosas motor and toolbox might be unparalleled for a player his age.

I have a hefty sum on bosa to win DROY. I'm suddenly terrified he's going to win DPOY and not DROY lol 

16 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Athletically, yes. He is much better than Bosa. But, that's not Bosa's forte'. He out-thinks and out-techniques the opposing player.

7 hours ago, N4L said:

This is something we talked about in the niners forum. Would NB be able to dominate elite tackles on the next level? Some questions about his athleticism being elite and his length. He has a great motor and we knew he would dominate lesser tackles, but there was some talk he wouldn't be able to win consistently against elite tackles (who can?). He is a much much better athlete than I knew. He is flexible and has a lot of moves. Does a great job setting up his next move too. He's basically a 10 year vet in a 22 year olds body. He is waaay more athletic than his brother. 

Chase certainly has more upside for the reasons you just listed. I am the type who is infatuated with upside. It's why I really loved Josh Allen this year and wanted the niners to move back and take him. Would have been a worse schematic fit for us, and bosa was the missing piece of the puzzle, as you say, so it worked out great for us and the jaguars. He is a better schematic fit for them and is super super versatile. His length bend quickness combo gives Allen a higher upside, but bosas motor and toolbox might be unparalleled for a player his age.

I have a hefty sum on bosa to win DROY. I'm suddenly terrified he's going to win DPOY and not DROY lol 

So much this!

On 10/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, SBLIII said:

Miami won't be ready to compete next year. Why pick a QB? Build your team up.

If they are sold on Tua being a foundational QB going forward, they have to take him.  Steve Young/Russell Wilson combo is much more valuable to a team than Julius Peppers.  The Fins can't guarantee that they will have their pick of the QB crop in any future seasons, so if they are sold on Tua, it's a no-brainer.  But if they aren't sold on him, Chase Young 100% needs to be the pick.