Official 2020 DL/EDGE Thread

CalhounLambeau

19 hours ago, N4L said:

I am the type who is infatuated with upside. It's why I really loved Josh Allen this year and wanted the niners to move back and take him. 

Captain Hindsight here and as a Raider fan I accept this trade and offer you #4 and 24 for #2

in hindsight it would have served us best. Then Jacobs at 27 and we’re better already. Lol

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 7:38 PM, Ragnarok said:

Chase Young this year reminds me of Suh his final year.  And Suh should have won the Heisman.

-Agreed, this has the same feel to it, and to be honest, he is so locked that I wouldn't be surprised if he has another level for him to reach.

-As far as the comparison to Bosas, I'm not going to lie, I caught myself saying Young will end up being the best Buckeye prospect ever, I'm sticking to that.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

16 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

-As far as the comparison to Bosas, I'm not going to lie, I caught myself saying Young will end up being the best Buckeye prospect ever, I'm sticking to that.

He's definitely up there for me. Here's mine:

dhcZ6bi.gif

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm not going to lie, I caught myself saying Young will end up being the best Buckeye prospect ever, I'm sticking to that.

Wow.  Guess you must think I'm crazy for thinking he'll be a bust.

To me Chase Young looks too stiff to be a star pass rusher in the NFL.  I'm getting Aaron Curry vibes from him. Remember in 2009 he was considered the safest prospect that year with everyone raving about him and he turned out to be a total bust.

12 hours ago, VanS said:

To me Chase Young looks too stiff to be a star pass rusher in the NFL.  I'm getting Aaron Curry vibes from him. Remember in 2009 he was considered the safest prospect that year with everyone raving about him and he turned out to be a total bust.

I thought Curry was more an issue of longevity, got injured and basically his career was over after just a few years in.  Had 60 tackles 2 sacks, 2 FF, 6 PDs first year, 70 tackles 3.5 sacks and 2 FF his 2nd year and 114 tackles, 4 FR, 2 TDs and 5 PDs his third year on two teams Seattle and Oakland.  Then one more season, did not play and career was done.  It was an injury issue, if he would have been able to still play longer who knows, it is not like he had zero tackles each of those seasons or something but sure he did disappoint considering how high he was picked sure but was only 3 years into his career and then it is just over.

Chase Young sure could get injured but outside of that, he is not stiff, and hell he does not play OLB so not sure Curry is a good comparison at all.  Only way Chase Young is a bust is if he gets injured, because kid can bend the edge, has been amazing this season on Ohio State, has the size, length and speed.  There is little to nothing to dislike about him and he has dominated almost every game he has played this year.  No one has stopped him and just the fact he is getting Heisman talk shows just how great he has been.  

13 hours ago, VanS said:

The part you thinking he will be a bust is fair, we all have our opinions, but your reasoning behind it doesn't make sense at all. He is as loose hipped a prospect there has been since probably Myles Garrett, he is going to turn the combine out with his explosion numbers, and on top of that, he is an intelligent/disciplined football player, meaning he doesn't just do this off athleticism alone, as a matter of fact, Wisconsin tried to trick him a few times and it backfired because of his football I.Q.

I'm not going to say this is a bad take because we all are entitled to our opinions, but if you are going to say a guy is going to be a bust, at least make sure you come with a strong argument to support your claim.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 2

On 10/29/2019 at 4:03 PM, Chrissooner49er said:

Heh. Then you haven't been paying attention.

I don't even know that Bosa has separated himself from Josh Allen that much talent-wise. I'd still rather have Allen as an edge rusher, ESPECIALLY if I'm running a 3-4. Both players have plenty of talent around them, with Bosa playing alongside Dee Ford, Deforest Buckner, Arik Armstead, Ronald Blair, and Solomon Thomas, all of which have pretty much been impressive. Josh Allen is playing alongside Yannick Ngakoue, Calais Campbell, Marcell Dareus, and Taven Bryan, and while Dareus/Bryan have been underwhelming at times, Ngakoue and Campbell are both still very good players this season. 

In eight games (six starts), Bosa has 7.0 sacks, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble, 21 tackles, 11 tackles for a loss, and 13 QB hits.

In eight games (three starts), Josh Allen has 7.0 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 23 tackles, 8 tackles for a loss, and 12 QB hits. 

Is Bosa playing better? Perhaps. I don't think he's really separated himself as much as people make out, though.

EDIT: I WILL admit that I'm probably biased, though, since Josh Allen has been my top-rated draft prospect two years in a row (2018, 2019) and I'm also a Rams fan.

Edited by HoboRocket

1 hour ago, tannenballs said:

@MSURacerDT55 what do you think of the senior DL at Ohio State? 

Senior DL:

Davon Hamilton - I absolutely think the world of this guy, he could end up being the best run stopping 1 tech in this draft class (I'm also a fan of Marvin Wilson though, and know about Derrick Brown)and his film supports it as well as PFF, he is an absolute STUD in the run game and quietly is the reason tOSU's defense is ranked where it is. He also gives A LOT of push in the pass rush game, I could see him being a long time starter in the NFL.

Jashon Cornell - He could end up being a pretty good rotational guy at the next level who can provide an instant pass rush. He will probably end up being a 3 tech but has played end at various times in his career. Pretty good against the run, and really good in pass rush packages

Johnathon Cooper - Very good against the run, pretty eh as a pass rusher. Has value in the NFL, can develop in to a good 2 down end

Robert Landers - One of my favorite guys, loved his high school film, he is undersized but extremely disruptive. Not sure how that translates to the next level though, tough as nails but probably has to get a little stronger and about 8-10 lbs bigger to compete at the next level

All of these guys can care a niche out for themselves in the right situation bit the only one that I see getting drafted high is Hamilton and that is in the 3rd, just because he isn't a flashy player.

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

I don't even know that Bosa has separated himself from Josh Allen that much talent-wise. I'd still rather have Allen as an edge rusher, ESPECIALLY if I'm running a 3-4. Both players have plenty of talent around them, with Bosa playing alongside Dee Ford, Deforest Buckner, Arik Armstead, Ronald Blair, and Solomon Thomas, all of which have pretty much been impressive. Josh Allen is playing alongside Yannick Ngakoue, Calais Campbell, Marcell Dareus, and Taven Bryan, and while Dareus/Bryan have been underwhelming at times, Ngakoue and Campbell are both still very good players this season. 

In eight games (six starts), Bosa has 7.0 sacks, 1 interception, 1 forced fumble, 21 tackles, 11 tackles for a loss, and 13 QB hits.

In eight games (three starts), Josh Allen has 7.0 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 23 tackles, 8 tackles for a loss, and 12 QB hits. 

Is Bosa playing better? Perhaps. I don't think he's really separated himself as much as people make out, though.

EDIT: I WILL admit that I'm probably biased, though, since Josh Allen has been my top-rated draft prospect two years in a row (2018, 2019) and I'm also a Rams fan.

I am biased too, as I am most definitely a Bosa fan (got his jersey already! :x ). 

Too many people throw around stats. The guy needs to be watched. And yes, I have watched a couple of Jax games...my wife grew up in Neptune Beach.

And the 9ers haven't run a 3-4 since Shanahan took over, so that definitely played into the 9ers choice. Bosa is a DL. Josh Allen is definitely an OLB. If each was in the other's defense, both would likely be a little less effective.

Edited by Chrissooner49er
Fixed it!

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I am biased too, as I am most definitely a Bosa fan (got his jersey already! :x ). 

Too many people throw around stats. The guy needs to be watched. And yes, I have watched a couple of Jax games...my wife grew up in Neptune Beach.

And the 9ers haven't run a 3-4 since Shanahan took over, so that definitely played into the 9ers choice. Bosa is a DL. Josh Allen is definitely an OLB. If each was in the other's offense, both would likely be a little less effective.

Well yes because neither play offense currently :ph34r:

5 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Senior DL:

Davon Hamilton - I absolutely think the world of this guy, he could end up being the best run stopping 1 tech in this draft class (I'm also a fan of Marvin Wilson though, and know about Derrick Brown)and his film supports it as well as PFF, he is an absolute STUD in the run game and quietly is the reason tOSU's defense is ranked where it is. He also gives A LOT of push in the pass rush game, I could see him being a long time starter in the NFL.

Jashon Cornell - He could end up being a pretty good rotational guy at the next level who can provide an instant pass rush. He will probably end up being a 3 tech but has played end at various times in his career. Pretty good against the run, and really good in pass rush packages

Johnathon Cooper - Very good against the run, pretty eh as a pass rusher. Has value in the NFL, can develop in to a good 2 down end

Robert Landers - One of my favorite guys, loved his high school film, he is undersized but extremely disruptive. Not sure how that translates to the next level though, tough as nails but probably has to get a little stronger and about 8-10 lbs bigger to compete at the next level

All of these guys can care a niche out for themselves in the right situation bit the only one that I see getting drafted high is Hamilton and that is in the 3rd, just because he isn't a flashy player.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Senior DL:

I think Landers has some potential with his quickness but is more a late rounder, and maybe Hamilton but I have to watch him more, Cooper is pushing it, same with Cornell.  If guys like Tyquan Lewis, Jayln Holmes, Adolphus Washington, Michael Hill, Michael Bennett or Noah Spence (even though he did not finish out his career at Ohio State) cannot succeed in the NFL, and all are arguably better players over their entire Ohio State career than any of these guys listed honestly, what chance do they have then?  

Tyreke Smith is not a senior but to me he might have the most upside of any Ohio State DL not named Chase Young, but even he has a long ways to go in terms of development.

• Like 1