2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, YogiBiz said:

I mean it's certainly possible. For him to really go top 5 in this draft, teams would have to by his right hand improving first and foremost. Secondly, you have to believe the rest of his skills catch up with his passing, because, while promising, he's still not a great shooter. I think San Antonio is his floor, and I wouldn't be surprised given his athletic limitations other faults. Also this notion that he's a good defender needs to stop, he tries hard yes, but he's not good, and I don't think he'll be average in that regard. 

He’s a D’Angelo Russell clone with higher defensive upside. I could see him going as high as #4 to Chicago but I think his sweet spot is the 7-10 range if they pass on him. 

I just can’t see the Pistons, Knicks, Wizards and Suns all passing on him when they all need a PG. 

6 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

I've been tinkering with my mock, so here we go:

1. Minnesota Timberwolves - Anthony Edwards | WING | Georgia
2. Golden State Warriors - Isaac Okoro | WING | Auburn
3. Charlotte Hornets - LaMelo Ball | PG | Illawarra
4. Chicago Bulls - Devin Vassell | WING | Florida State
5. Cleveland Cavaliers - Onyeka Okongwu | BIG | USC
6. Atlanta Hawks - Tyrese Haliburton | G | Iowa State
7. Detroit Pistons - James Wiseman | BIG | Memphis
8. New York Knicks - Deni Avdija | F | Maccabi Tel Aviv
9. Washington Wizards - Tyrese Maxey | G | Kentucky 
10. Phoenix Suns - Patrick Williams | F | Florida State
11. San Antonio Spurs - Killian Hayes | G | Ulm
12. Sacramento Kings - Obi Toppin | BIG | Dayton
13. New Orleans Pelicans - Aaron Nesmith | WING | Vanderbilt
14. Boston Celtics (via MEM) - Jaden McDaniels | F | Washington
15. Orlando Magic - Cole Anthony | PG | North Carolina
16. Portland Trail Blazers - Saddiq Bey | WING | Villanova
17. Minnesota Timberwolves (via BKN) - Precious Achiuwa | F | Memphis
18. Dallas Mavericks - Josh Green | WING | Arizona
19. Brooklyn Nets (via PHI) - Aleksej Pokusevski | F | Olympiacos
20. Miami Heat - Grant Riller | G | Charleston
21. Philadelphia 76ers (via OKC) - Kira Lewis Jr | PG | Alabama
22. Denver Nuggets (via HOU) - Jay Scrubb | WING | John Logan College 
23. Utah Jazz - Leandro Bolmaro | WING | Barcelona
24. Milwaukee Bucks (via IND) - Desmond Bane | WING | TCU
25. Oklahoma City Thunder (via DEN) -Paul Reed | BIG | DePaul
26. Boston Celtics - Theo Maledon | G | ASVEL
27. New York Knicks (via LAC) - Jahmi'us Ramsey | G | Texas Tech
28. Los Angeles Lakers - Nico Mannion | PG | Arizona
29. Toronto Raptors - Tyrell Terry | PG | Stanford
30. Boston Celtics (via MIL) - Zeke Nnanji | BIG | Duke

Big Takeaways: I have gone from someone who didn't even Rank Okoro a few months ago, to viewing him as one of the better prospects in this class. Objectively speaking, he is the best defender in this class, and his burgeoning playmaking ability makes him a really good fit with the shooters in GS.  

I think Edwards to MINN is a done deal, the only player I see them taking instead of Edwards is OO. The seal up their draft buy adding Precious. Achiuwa, Culver, Edwards, Okogie, Russell, and Towns is a core with high-upside and potential high end role players. They should be super happy about that moving forward (especially if Edwards can become a good defender) 

The Pistons are ecstatic about landing Wiseman at 7, which could be the biggest steal of the draft. I think Wiseman is the best player in this draft, and at worst I think he's Clint Capela w/ pop potential. 

Hayes falls into San Antonio's lap. They get the new age Manu to play with an Pop decides to stick around for his development. 

The Cavs are the big winners of the top 5 with OO falling into their lap.

Vassell goes top 5 to the Bulls. I think Bulls fans would be unhappy with a "low upside player" but Vassell is going to be really good on both sides of the ball. Also when he adds some go-to dribble moves, he will be hard to match with his length and athleticism. Also his floor is super high and he fits exactly what they need, defense. His ceiling is higher than perceived by most as well, or at least I think so. 

Hawks go Haliburton over Deni because of their long list of talented wings on the roster, Haliburton adds Defense, shooting, and a secondary playmaker next to Trae. I think this is a really good pick, and a match made in heaven. (Especially if they can't trade up for Edwards). 

The Knicks get Deni. A 6'9" combo forward who can handle the ball, pass, score, rebound, and defend at above average levels. A RJ/Deni/Mitch core is an exciting front court, and one I think Thibs will love to work with. Adding Ramsey with 27 is a huge boon for the Knicks, he's another player who projects at worst as a good microwave 6th man and a good PoA defender. Every team needs those. 

Poku goes to Brooklyn in hopes a team like Chicago/Washington wants his perceived unicorn upside in a LaVine/Beal trade.

Speaking of Washington, they go Maxey. Who I think is being severely underrated by the scouts everywhere. He's a really good scorer and his handles improved more and more as the season wore on. At best I think he's a taller longer Lou Williams, that has the ability to match any guard in the league with his D. 

LaMelo in Charlotte is happening. The Knicks will probably move Randle + Mavs 2021 for Rozier. 

ok first I always appreciate the effort.. keep them coming.. You definitely went against the "grain" in some picks, which is fine, because a draft never goes exactly according to plan..

For Boston I do like KD, and would like him more, if he were a little further along.. Same as Poku, high level ceilings with a low floor.. I am debating a lower ceiling but higher floor, win now type players such as S Bey vs Precious, JM or Poku who have a potentially bigger long term gain..

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He’s a D’Angelo Russell clone with higher defensive upside. I could see him going as high as #4 to Chicago but I think his sweet spot is the 7-10 range if they pass on him. 

I just can’t see the Pistons, Knicks, Wizards and Suns all passing on him when they all need a PG. 

I don't buy his handles, also he moves about as well as Russell does laterally. Hayes might be a bit stronger, but they move pretty much the same. I don't really buy the High Upside D people are selling. He's going to be a good team defender, but he's shown no where near the playmaking, handles, or advanced shot making that Russell did. 

7 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

ok first I always appreciate the effort.. keep them coming.. You definitely went against the "grain" in some picks, which is fine, because a draft never goes exactly according to plan..

For Boston I do like KD, and would like him more, if he were a little further along.. Same as Poku, high level ceilings with a low floor.. I am debating a lower ceiling but higher floor, win now type players such as S Bey vs Precious, JM or Poku who have a potentially bigger long term gain..

I think the Celtics are in the perfect position to swing for a high upside player at 14. If he pans out, imagine the two way dominance of Brown-Tatum-McDaniels. They could easily go Precious instead of McDaniels and it would still be a swing and a great pick. 

Edited by YogiBiz
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 10:30 PM, kyle21121 said:

You gotta stand by your original rankings.

******* cowards change their opinions once proven wrong. ignore evidence, always stick with gut. marcus smart remains the best player from the 2014 draft. kristaps remains ineffective in the league as a soft euro big. kris dunn remains > ben simmons. mo bamba remains a better prospect than luka. i'll die on these hills. 

tumblr_o8xz7rCLzS1vragpoo2_250.gif

• Like 2

On 8/24/2020 at 8:09 AM, YogiBiz said:

I've been tinkering with my mock, so here we go:

1. Minnesota Timberwolves - Anthony Edwards | WING | Georgia
2. Golden State Warriors - Isaac Okoro | WING | Auburn
3. Charlotte Hornets - LaMelo Ball | PG | Illawarra
4. Chicago Bulls - Devin Vassell | WING | Florida State

I don't get the hype around Okoro. He does have some nice attributes, but Vassell seems more like what the Warriors would want. It could be all moot if they trade the pick, though.

Edited by Tetsujin

On 8/25/2020 at 11:33 AM, FinneasGage said:

******* cowards change their opinions once proven wrong. ignore evidence, always stick with gut. marcus smart remains the best player from the 2014 draft. kristaps remains ineffective in the league as a soft euro big. kris dunn remains > ben simmons. mo bamba remains a better prospect than luka. i'll die on these hills. 

tumblr_o8xz7rCLzS1vragpoo2_250.gif

I remember being mad that he went one spot earlier to Boston.

23 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

I don't get the hype around Okoro. He does have some nice attributes, but Vassell seems more like what the Warriors would want. It could be all moot if they trade the pick, though.

I am looking at all the draft videos, and are coming to the same conclusion.. I just don't like my swing position type players having suspect jump-shots picked that high.. I mean drafting one later in the first sure..

2 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I am looking at all the draft videos, and are coming to the same conclusion.. I just don't like my swing position type players having suspect jump-shots picked that high.. I mean drafting one later in the first sure..

Drafting a wing high who can't shoot in 2020. That's odd to me. He made his hay near the basket. That's probably not going to translate nearly as well in the NBA. He's listed at 6'6" with a 6'9" wingspan. Though the guy is very athletic and can defend multiple positions.

Vassell is taller, longer, a great defender (blocks shots too), super athletic, and has great range on his jumpshot. He's thin but very wiry strong when you watch him play The only thing with him is that he didn't drive/slash to the basket. (and he didn't really have to because his pull-up shot and midrange game is good)

I just scratch my head when I see Okoro listed as a better prospect than Vassell.

Idk why you would think driving won't translate. The NBA has way better spacing than in college, which is why a lot of players score more and more efficiently in the NBA than college or Europe. Plus he is probably more athletic than he was Auburn, ppl think he bulked up too much too quickly. If he slims downs a little or gets used to the weight he is even more explosive. Plus he is way better passer and driver than Vassell. 

DV is more of a safe pick and Okoro is more of a high potential pick. Imo

There is a bunch of great NBA wings who Okoro has a better or just as good freshman szn than, even shooting the ball (Kawhi, Jaylen, Jimmy, etc). 

Edited by 11sanchez11

@11sanchez11 and @Tetsujin.. looking at film as much as I can, I really don't see all that much difference in the games of Okoro, who is expected to go top 10 and 2 late first rders/early 2nd rds in T Bey and Robert Woodward . looking at film they all seem to be excellent, versatile defenders at similar height and athletic ability. In fact the video clips make me feel that the shooting is farther along with the latter 2.. 

so what the hell makes one a top 10? while the others are much later prospects? Slightly younger and a more major CBB program is all I can come up with.. 

Edited by resilient part 2

9 minutes ago, resilient part 2 said:

I am starting to think Okoro is more Justice Winslow type of player based on draft similarities. how much better has JW been since being in the NBA??

MJ knew what he was doing when he passed on him. He was very disappointing overall. Although I haven’t watched the NBA much over the past few years. 99% of the hoops I watch is college.

19 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Idk why you would think driving won't translate.

I thought I saw him getting the ball low, or working himself in low in a crowd and getting his shot off quite a bit, but I may have misjudged that. He does drive a lot and looks good doing it.