2019 Training Camp Thread

dll2000

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

A couple of last notes.

A Rob lined up in slot a ton today when I could see team.   

I saw some d front install walk throughs early.  Let me tell you this D is going to look a lot different in reg. season than anything you see preseason or team that is being recorded.

They come from anywhere and everywhere.   He will drop the NG and rush corners.  He overloads.  He lines guys up all over the place.   He is nuts.

Expect a lot of big plays and confusion.   Also will probably give up some big plays.  But it is gong to be fun to watch.  

I read up on his approach to calling defenses after he signed on with us... he's going to be fun to watch. I agree that we'll give up some big plays from time to time, but we'll make a lot of plays as well. I remember one clip where he almost sounded a bit defensive about his blitzes, he said that even though he's sending corners and linebackers from various places, he's dropping other players into coverage so he's still "only" sending 4 players during these instances. His key point was that the defense is going to be easy for the players to understand but complex for offenses to prepare for due to myriad looks... I'm a fan!

• Like 1

I can tell you after watching practice warts and all, we look way better at this point than either of those teams did last night.   

Everything is sloppy now in football.  Just the nature of things on the timeline.  Takes 5 secs to teach a blitz and many weeks to teach pass pro. 

Our defense is still going to be scary good.  But for modern rules they might be an all timer group for a season.  We'll see how it plays out. 

Mack looks like that kid on your high school team that has D1 talent.  Just better than everyone else.  

9 hours ago, G08 said:

I read up on his approach to calling defenses after he signed on with us... he's going to be fun to watch. I agree that we'll give up some big plays from time to time, but we'll make a lot of plays as well. I remember one clip where he almost sounded a bit defensive about his blitzes, he said that even though he's sending corners and linebackers from various places, he's dropping other players into coverage so he's still "only" sending 4 players during these instances. His key point was that the defense is going to be easy for the players to understand but complex for offenses to prepare for due to myriad looks... I'm a fan!

I said last year when we drafted Roquan that I wished **** Lebeau was coaching this defense because we now had a team made for blitzing.  That was before Mack even. 

Now we have next best thing in Pagano.  Should be cool.  

• Like 1

My observations from today: 

-Doesn’t need to be said, but our defense has a bunch of DUDES. The camaraderie on that side of the ball is infectious too. There was a play with the 1st team D against the 2nd team offense where Mack beat the LT so cleanly that Daniel just took a knee which drew some laughter. 

-Ridley didn’t practice but was running routes on a side field moving pretty well. Guessing he’s close. He was in a group of WRs that stayed out after practice with Mitch for some extra reps. 

-It’s practice, but Montgomery sure looks to be the goods. First day in full contact and he showed out. At the end of practice they did a run the clock out drill where they had to get a rushing first down, and he had a run of about 17 yards with about 12 of it coming after contact running through multiple guys. Mitch and several other guys ran up to congratulate him and were genuinely jacked up. Also DM was at RB in goal line drills with the 1s and converted both his carries. Listened to Nagy and especially Helfrich heap praise on him in the post-practice presser too. 

-Fry 10/11 with a miss from 42. He and Pineiro are matching each other percentage-wise but all but one of Fry’s misses have been on shorter kicks. Pretty sure Pineiro has only missed once in camp under 50 yards. If the competition stays this close that’s going to matter IMO. With that, Fry’s accuracy has been consistent throughout camp which mirrors what we saw in the AAFL. Fry has a good but not great leg. Pineiro clearly has a plus leg. I’m still betting that one of these guys ends up on the 53 and the other on the PS. 

-I was unimpressed with the depth WR today. There’s a clear gap IMO between the top 3 and then Cordarelle and Wims (guessing Ridley would fit here too), and then an even bigger one between everyone else. Wims and Gentry both had catchable balls from Mitch that they probably catch on Sundays because they’d go to the ground to secure the catch in a game. For guys not assured of a roster spot though I was surprised to see them not go all out after them. 

-With that... the top 3 WR were consistently getting open. Robinson was open all damn day. Also, Patterson is HUGE. 

-Mitch was fine today but only fine. IMO he played a bit better than the results would show. His pick to HHCD early on was a poor throw, but the aesthetics of what he did well today were brought way down by the two long passes his guys should have caught but didn’t plus drops on passes by Patterson and Miller in the 15-20 yard range that hit them right in the hands. 4 BIG plays he should have had but didn’t through no fault of his own. 

-Mike Furrey came over to the bleachers and chatted up a kid with disabilities for a while before taking him and his family on the field at the end of practice to meet and take pictures with the WR. Loved that. 

-Watching live today was a nice reminder that what we are seeing in TC and the preseason has to be taken with a grain of salt, because guys and units are working on figuring out what doesn’t work too which is really important come September. We tend to look at it at the other end of the spectrum, but really we should be watching this like spring training baseball.

• Like 5

I think where Montgormey might shine a bit is in live football since he is more of a brawler than any other back we have.  Probably why he was frustrated before being competetitive like he is.

Davis and Cohen look better when its just running and catching in space without live tackling.  They are just faster and smoother, especially Cohen.  You can see how that would be frustrating to a guy like Montgormery who is driven.  

But he can punch you in the face better than the other guys can and its not like he isnt also smooth, just degrees. Gives a nice mix.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

Going to family fest tonight. Anyone want to know anything?

My focus areas are going to be:

Kicking, want to see if fry really looks weak or if it's just in comparison to Pin

Boy: will he find someone to buy him candy or sweets? He's elusive in space

Mitch- overlooked in the deep ball issue is that he's more in control in the offense. I think a lot of the fails last year were bad reads compounded by bad mechanics. If the reads are improved...

Girl- if she sees a bears player, will she be shy, or go for an illegal tackle? Never can tell.

• Like 1

So...  did not see much as my kids were crazy after a couple days of no naps and late nights, plus seeing the cotton candy MFer...

But

Shaheen is in serious pain,  he has a hard time getting around

Piniero looks like the real deal

Trubisky does look crisp, but also showed the extremes: the catch to Wims was amzing, but he had some boners as well. 

Forgot to mention.   Long is a dude that is really hard on himself.

He was off on the side really, really angry about something after a drill.  He did okay, not great, not bad.  I don't know if he was pissed because he tweaked something, or pissed because he felt he screwed up.  But he was pissed at himself.

Hope he has a good year.  You can tell he wants it.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 4:54 PM, AZBearsFan said:

My observations from today: 

-Doesn’t need to be said, but our defense has a bunch of DUDES. The camaraderie on that side of the ball is infectious too. There was a play with the 1st team D against the 2nd team offense where Mack beat the LT so cleanly that Daniel just took a knee which drew some laughter. 

I hope Daniel was talking trash to Mack after that too. "Yeah Mack, whats up?! Still can't get a strip-sack on me can you!?!?!"