Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

SBLIII

One thing I'm curious about is why are so many RBs so concerned about "positional solidarity" like "I'm going to be the guy who makes sure all the other running backs are going to get paid."

Like the reasons that running backs are not paid huge sums of money is not wholly dissimilar to why kickers aren't paid huge amounts of money, and those reasons aren't liable to go away no matter how much the best running backs get paid.  Adrian Peterson getting like a $100m extension in 2011 didn't help the rest of the RBs secure the bag.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I actually love this move by the Chargers. 

I like Melvin a lot and think he's underrated, but the $10 million per year contract thrown around was too much even for me. Maybe 7 or 8, but we have more important people to lock up like Rivers, Bosa, King, etc.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I actually love this move by the Chargers. 

Agreed. I'm sure Gordon would like to think he's as important to the Chargers as Zeke is to the Cowboys. But that's just not true. That will all come to fruition when Zeke gets his contract from the Cowboys...

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

The owners need to show the running backs who's boss? Prove their concerns are frivolous? 

Each situation is different and some players are more important than others (like Aaron Donald last year or maybe even Zeke for this year) but if I would be a team, I would not give a new contract to a player after a very long holdout, unless this player is crucial like Aaron Donald.

I do not even know if Gordon is one of the top 5 best  or most important players of the Chargers right now.

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

Because they basically drew the line and ended it. There is now nothing more to discuss. Gordon can come back, or not. That's on him. But they have made it clear that they are done with this. 

This is the stance teams NEED to take. It didnt work out financially for Bell. RBs just arent a valuable position in today's league. 

• Like 3