Melvin Gordon ends hold out; to report Thursday

SBLIII

Injury history, fumbles way too much and has like literally zero vision. Gordon makes plays because he is a great athlete not because he is crafty. I was fully expecting him to walk after this season and it’s the smart move for him to hold out. He isn’t Leveon Bell and is not going to get a mega long term deal. I expect this to be an ugly hold out. The team is a lot better with him but can’t afford to sign him long term to a contract that isn’t friendly with outs. He probably has two years left on those legs, I wouldn’t bet on longer then that. He’s worth pretty much zero to a team trading for him. I can’t see anyone giving up compensation AND a fat deal that he thinks he is worth. Good thing we’re deep at the position, this is going to be a long hard line hold out. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Boltstrikes said:

Injury history, fumbles way too much and has like literally zero vision. Gordon makes plays because he is a great athlete not because he is crafty. I was fully expecting him to walk after this season and it’s the smart move for him to hold out. He isn’t Leveon Bell and is not going to get a mega long term deal. I expect this to be an ugly hold out. The team is a lot better with him but can’t afford to sign him long term to a contract that isn’t friendly with outs. He probably has two years left on those legs, I wouldn’t bet on longer then that. He’s worth pretty much zero to a team trading for him. I can’t see anyone giving up compensation AND a fat deal that he thinks he is worth. Good thing we’re deep at the position, this is going to be a long hard line hold out. 

age 26/27 seems to be really the time where most RBs decline. Other teams know it as well. I don't see him getting a good deal in FA even if he holds out the entire year. Bell got 13 per year but as it turned out could have been had for much less. Dion Lewis got 5 per year at the age of 27. I see it much more in that range. 

5 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

age 26/27 seems to be really the time where most RBs decline. Other teams know it as well. I don't see him getting a good deal in FA even if he holds out the entire year. Bell got 13 per year but as it turned out could have been had for much less. Dion Lewis got 5 per year at the age of 27. I see it much more in that range. 

Even if he turns this into an extra $15MM guaranteed total, there's a huge benefit in security from $10MM to $25MM. That's getting the whole family an education type money.

7 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

Dion Lewis isn’t nearly as good as Gordon though. He should definitely get more than Lewis did

1 minute ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Dion Lewis isn’t nearly as good as Gordon though. He should definitely get more than Lewis did

He will but not much more imo (7 million range). Still worth it though and if the Chargers don't hand him the extension he absolutely should sit out.

22 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This makes sense for the Chargers given their idiocy on the Joey Bosa holdout.

Expect this isn't dumb. 

-He has had microfracture a couple of years ago.

-Has been dinged up and last year was his first really great year.

-Team went 4-0 without him and averaged the same amount of points they did with him the first 12 games.

-Plus Bosa, Rivers, Dez, and Henry all need new deals. 

I don't blame Gordon for holding out, he is underpaid and his window is short, but the Chargers shouldn't budge.

Edited by game3525
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Expect this isn't dumb. 

-He has had microfracture a couple of years ago.

-Has been dinged up and last year was his first really great year.

-Team went 4-0 without him and averaged the same amount of points they did with him the first 12 games.

-Plus Bosa, Rivers, Dez, and Henry all need new deals. 

I don't blame Gordon for holding out, he is underpaid and his window is short, but the Chargers shouldn't budge.

It's totally different but I love MGIII since he was a Badger, so no it's exactly the same and the Chargers are dumb.

Would be nice to have a GM to negotiate a potential discussion. 

Or, this could be a Hue Jackson situation where O'Brien gives up way too many premium picks. Jackson gave up three 1st rounders for Carson Palmer, right? I can totes see BOB giving up six or so firsts for a RB...

38 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I dont blame him at all given his position and the fact he’s stayed out of trouble

This. It’s the nature of the game that he wants to get what he can when he can. I don’t blame him one bit for it although it does unfortunately negatively impact the team I’m rooting for.

Chargers can’t be tied up paying for production they won’t see though so I can definitely see their point. Add in the fact that there are several other contracts that quite frankly are a higher priority to get done. Gordon is a quality player. Gordon is not worth Bell/Gurley money. If he’d go for a 5 year 30 million deal then I’d be in it. 

• Like 1

Just business here, folks. Gordon’s using the leverage he has when this could be his only huge payday. And LAC shouldn’t cave, either. His trade value has to be pretty low, I wonder who (if anyone) blinks first.