NFL Realigned 2019

brooks1957

I needed to learn a new software for a work project. Once I had conquered that mountain, I set sail to use my new found knowledge to realign the NFL into more geographically friendly divisions. I attempted to keep some long standing rivalries intact, but I do have several teams jumping conferences to the same divisions. Keep in mind - this is the dead zone of the NFL season. Two weeks before training camps - just my thoughts; nothing more, nothing less.

AFC East 2019

New England Patriots

New York Jets

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

AFC North 2019

Buffalo Bills

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South 2019

Atlanta Falcons

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

AFC West 2019

Arizona Cardinals

Denver Broncos

Los Angeles Chargers

Los Angeles Rams

NFC East 2019

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Indianapolis Colts

Washington Redskins

NFC North 2019

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

NFC South 2019

Dallas Cowboys

Houston Texans

New Orleans Saints

Tennessee Titans

NFC West 2019

Kansas City Chiefs

Oakland Raiders

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

Biggest struggle I had was with the Cowboys. I had them staying in the traditional NFCE, because I wanted to keep the Cowboys - Redskins rivalry intact. But by moving the Ravens into that division, I gave the Redskins another natural rival within spitting distance. That facilitated my original intention of landing the Cowboys in a south or central division. I think the new Saints Cowboys series will be fun to watch.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

AE
Patriots
Jets
Giants
Bills

NE
Steelers
Eagles
Ravens
Redskins

AN
Lions
Browns
Bengals
Colts

NN
Vikings
Packers
Bears
Chiefs

AS
Titans
Saints
Falcons
Texans

NS
Panthers
Jaguars
Bucs
Dolphins

AW
Cowboys
Broncos
Cardinals
Chargers

NW
Seahawks
49ers
Raiders
Rams

• Like 1

A few divisions are too tough to break up because of division rivalries.  The NFC North is too historic and the NFC East has some of the most popular rivalries.  Whether you like them nor not, Dallas/Texans or Dallas/Tennessee will never hold a torch to Dallas/Giants or Dallas/Redskins etc.  Seattle moves back to the AFC West and brings SF.  Moving Oakland or SF was a tough call.  Seattle's best rival since being in the NFC has been SF and  both get to have SB rematches against Denver.  Moving Oakland away from KC & Denver was tough but between regular season vs LAC and preseason vs ARZ, they've had some heated matchups.  Another tough call was Indy or Balt for the AFC East.  Although it's not historic, PIT/BAL has been a great rivalry for over a decade.  NE/INDY also was a long time rivalry.  Moving Miami to one of the south divisions was incredibly easy as they've been irrelevant for quite awhile.  Albeit there's been a few seasons where ATL/NO/CAR have been competitive together, there's  no historic rivalries so breaking them up was no issue to group some of the south teams geographically together.   I almost put Atlanta in the Gulf Of Mexico division but liked the proximity of ATL/CAR/JAX matchups and felt TB could be interchangeable between the two.  

AFC East- NE, NYJ, BUF, INDY

AFC North- PIT, CLE, CIN, BAL

AFC South-  CAR, ATL, JAX, MIA

AFC West- KC, DEN, SEA, SF

NFC East- DAL, PHI, NYG, WASH

NFC North- GB, CHI, MIN, DET

NFC South- HOU, NO, TEN,  TB

NFC West-  OAK LAR, LAC, ARZ

• Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 10:34 AM, jvmillion83 said:

Albeit there's been a few seasons where ATL/NO/CAR have been competitive together, there's  no historic rivalries so breaking them up was no issue to group some of the south teams geographically together.   I almost put Atlanta in the Gulf Of Mexico division but liked the proximity of ATL/CAR/JAX matchups and felt TB could be interchangeable between the two.  

Um... excuse me?

AFC East 2019

Baltimore Ravens

New England Patriots

New York Jets

Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC North 2019

Cincinnati Bengals

Cleveland Browns

Indianapolis Colts

Kansas City Chiefs

AFC South 2019

Jacksonville Jaguars

Miami Dolphins

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tennessee Titans

AFC West 2019

Denver Broncos

Houston Texans

Los Angeles Chargers

Oakland/Las Vegas Raiders

NFC East 2019

Buffalo Bills

New York Giants

Philadelphia Eagles

Washington Redskins

NFC North 2019

Chicago Bears

Detroit Lions

Green Bay Packers

Minnesota Vikings

NFC South 2019

Atlanta Falcons

Carolina Panthers

Dallas Cowboys

New Orleans Saints

NFC West 2019

Arizona Cardinals

Los Angeles Rams

San Francisco 49ers

Seattle Seahawks

On 7/13/2019 at 7:08 AM, brooks1957 said:

NFC East 2019

Baltimore Ravens

Carolina Panthers

Indianapolis Colts

Washington Redskins

Oof.

Nothing will be perfect, but this one is tough. Maybe swap Steelers and Colts would make a little more sense?

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

Yup - that might work. Although there is NOTHING like the passionate hatred the Dawg Pound possesses for Steelers.

Philly's hatred for Dallas,

and don't even get me started on the international soccer fans. They blow both of these NFL disdains out of the water.

I'd have the NFC West as the Rams/Niners/Seahawks/Chargers - truly west coast teams

AFC West would be the Raiders (Vegas), Chiefs, Broncos and Cardinals - all at least somewhat off the coast

Kick the Cowboys to the AFC South and move the Colts to the AFC North, Ravens to the AFC East, Dolphins to the NFC South, Panthers to the NFC East. Something like that.