Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

41 minutes ago, boratt said:

Do you know what’s better than a 4 minute opening drive with 12 ypa that ends in 7 points? An opening drive that lasts 12 minutes and has 6 ypa and then ends in 7 points is better. 

If you view football purely in terms of efficiency, you lose very real factors such as time. And then you’re losing all of the aspects of time that factor in such as human beings, particularly along the defensive line, wear out over time. Also, by taking away almost a quarter of football from the other team, it lessens their ability to score points. 

When playing against a team that scores quick points, YPA would lose importance while percentage of time elapsed, 3rd down efficiency and redzone efficiency would gain importance.

When playing a team that struggles to put up points, YPA and running up the score would be paramount.

Turnovers will always be extremely important.

Maybe stop trying to use one stat to explain and describe a complex game that factors in time, human fatigue, other teams strengths and so many more factors that I’m not thinking of now and others yet that I’ve never thought of at all. 

Your first paragraph I don't find to be true at all. Especially if you have a strong defense.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Your first paragraph I don't find to be true at all. Especially if you have a strong defense.

Most things are fluid. I can buy there are situations where that’s not true. But there are also situations where it is. Hence ypa Is not an end all to every football discussion nor is anything I have ever said or will ever say. Things constantly evolve. Bill Belichick doesn’t claim to know it all. He learned from Randy Moss and will learn from some of his rookies this year. Nobody knows it all. 

Does this forum still hate Allison or have most come around on him? Really looking forward to seeing if he can build off how he was playing early last year before his injury. If he he does, 1000 yards and 7-10ish TDs doesn’t seem out of reach. 

17 minutes ago, boratt said:

Most things are fluid. I can buy there are situations where that’s not true. But there are also situations where it is. Hence ypa Is not an end all to every football discussion nor is anything I have ever said or will ever say. Things constantly evolve. Bill Belichick doesn’t claim to know it all. He learned from Randy Moss and will learn from some of his rookies this year. Nobody knows it all. 

I think the emphasis on "time" in this discussion could (should?) be replaced by the concept of functionality and execution. Certainly there are times such when "running out the clock.....or burning time" apply - but what I'd like to see most from the offense this year is better execution.

Move the chains consistently. Scatter / distribute the ball more evenly. And with emphasis on keeping AR healthy - taking advantage of his accuracy and smarts to get him to get rid of the ball b4 he's gonna get hit.

I'm not looking to turn AR into a game manager QB - just cut down on the "winging-it" and throw aways to move the ball out of his hands more timely.

You're not going to be very successful if your offense is designed to scratch and claw your way downfield for 10-12 play scoring drives. You're just stacking the odds against getting to the endzone. That being said, it helps your defense when the offense is capable of it once in awhile. The ideal is an offense with playmakers who semi-regularly strike quickly but also having the varying personnel to pick up short yardage and keep drives alive when the big play isn't there.

2 hours ago, boratt said:

Do you know what’s better than a 4 minute opening drive with 12 ypa that ends in 7 points? An opening drive that lasts 12 minutes and has 6 ypa and then ends in 7 points is better. 

If you view football purely in terms of efficiency, you lose very real factors such as time. And then you’re losing all of the aspects of time that factor in such as human beings, particularly along the defensive line, wear out over time. Also, by taking away almost a quarter of football from the other team, it lessens their ability to score points. 

When playing against a team that scores quick points, YPA would lose importance while percentage of time elapsed, 3rd down efficiency and redzone efficiency would gain importance.

When playing a team that struggles to put up points, YPA and running up the score would be paramount.

Turnovers will always be extremely important.

Maybe stop trying to use one stat to explain and describe a complex game that factors in time, human fatigue, other teams strengths and so many more factors that I’m not thinking of now and others yet that I’ve never thought of at all. 

No, it's not. The Packers will be a better team than the majority of the teams we play this year. When you're a better team, you want to maximize the number of drives in a game.

You're better off throwing the ball to own time of possession. Both in real life time and in clock time. Clock time is determined most significantly by third down completion percentage. You're more likely to complete first downs in sequences you throw the ball more.

Even more confusing, you seem to believe that our defensive line is deeper than our opposition's will be in the majority of games. If you believe that to be true, you would similarly want to maximize possessions and plays because our defensive line is going to be more efficiently capable of rotating it's guys.

Even your attempts at data driven analysis are wrong.

3 hours ago, Donzo said:

Boy, you are really all in on constantly bellyaching about Adams("trash"), no matter how innocuous the comment... Kinda odd for a Packer fan. 

Fill in the number:

You believe that Montravious Adams will be a top ___ Interior Defensive Lineman.

Hey all - hopefully this is relevant since it's technically the training camp thread but my apologies if wrong place (Mods feel free to redirect me if necessary).  Anyone here have any good tips for attending training camp with a couple young kids (6 and 11)? Specifically, best place to park and how early to be there for a Saturday morning practice? 

2 hours ago, boratt said:

And the year the Patriots had the best YPA offense I think we’ve ever seen they didn’t win the Super Bowl because they ran into an unusually stacked pass rushing team. Hence the importance of versatility. It only takes one unusual team to buzz saw through your YPA offense and chances are, in the playoff gauntlet, you’re going to hit them. 

Hence, defense with versatility on offense, solid special teams and good turnover differential will beat YPA in championship success every time IMHO. 

Having the best Net YPA (Offense-Defense) is the most predictive non point/turnover driven metric.

Also, the fact that you view losing on the Superbowl as a failure in a statistical analysis driven attempt is enlightening.

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Someone put this kid on his *** today, thanks.

They are holding him out today .. what a joke.  Hopefully the Packers have a little chip on their shoulder the rest of the week.  Keep it legal, but let these Texans know you aren't going to be pushed around out there.

Archived