Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Look, I know you love to think and argue that you are right.  I get it.  And I"m not saying that you are arbitrarily wrong, as I agree that MOST of the time, you carry rookies, higher drafted rookies, though their initial contract.

But that clearly wasn't the case here.  Spriggs had shown this camp to not be as good as some others.

I never said they are proving a point, don't you dare insinuate that I did.  (and maybe you are not)

What I said is that if it wasn't financial, then it was performance related.  We know his tape wasn't stellar.  We know he hasn't practiced much.  Obviously the guys that see the development in players have determined that Spriggs was no longer one of their top backups.

I think, and go with me on this for a second, that maybe, just maybe, GB feels like they are better at swing tackle with Lane Taylor, or Billy Turner, given that Jenkins appears like he can handle some duties inside.  Or maybe it is Jenkins that can flip out. 

Turner and Jenkins give GB a lot more options than they had last year.  It isn't all about LIght, Nijman or even Madison.  It is about options.  And they feel like they have better ones than Spriggs.

I mean, it's not that I think I'm necessarily right.  I just think the notion of releasing a former high draft pick for the sake of releasing a player is a stupid thing to argue.  If it was part of the cutdown process, I'd absolutely understand.  But we haven't seen him play a single game in preseason.  I think part of it is the injury designation, and I'm hoping that's why they moved on from him.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I mean, it's not that I think I'm necessarily right.  I just think the notion of releasing a former high draft pick for the sake of releasing a player is a stupid thing to argue.  If it was part of the cutdown process, I'd absolutely understand.  But we haven't seen him play a single game in preseason.  I think part of it is the injury designation, and I'm hoping that's why they moved on from him.

.Injuries heal.

I think his release was due to others performing better than most of us thought.  And Spriggs not being able to perform.  Maybe PUP would have been better?  Maybe?  But I feel like you do that if you think the player is better than those around him on the depth chart.  And in this case, I think it is obvious that those who work with the offensive lineman feel pretty good about those others guys.

Guess time will tell.  

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are Alex Light, Josh Nijman or any other OT clearly better than Spriggs?  No.  Do the Packers save a meaningful amount of cap space ($1M+)?  No.  You're cutting him to prove a point is one of the stupidest things I've heard suggested out there.  The Packers lose NOTHING by keeping him through the roster cutdowns.  If at the end of camp, you don't think he's one of your 8 or 9 best OL you move on from him.  But releasing him now to prove a point is stupid.  I don't have to agree with the FO.  I think majority of the decisions they do are right, but this one I don't think is right.  I don't think Spriggs is anything special, but you have a hard time convincing me he's the 85-90th best player on the roster.

I dont think the "proving a point" concept holds much water.

I'm not an OL guy so stuff can be going on there that I'm not up to snuff on. It is what it is, but my overall on Spriggs is he was wanting. Improving? That seemed to be the case - but capable? That I cant say.

So - I went to Spotrac and looked at his statistics. 2017 was a lost year. He only played 7 games (for what reason, I dont recall or care to know). In 2018 - when our OL was in serious flux - he started 2 games - played in 13 - and took 0.290 of the total OL snaps.

So we're lamenting the loss of a three year guy who didnt even pick up 1% of snaps in 2018? 

I'm a player guy. A strong proponent of the "it takes time" theory but what are we talking about? In fact, a talent (thats been around for awhile....) who on a year when playing opportunities were abounding - took less than 1% of the snaps.

Did we really lose something here? Apparently the FO and Coaches dont think so.

3 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

you can't PUP someone once they've practiced with the team at all during the summer. You can only IR them, and the only way to do that for a non-vested player is Waived/Injury or carry them through to the 53 then IR.

Did Spriggs ever practice?  I don't know if he did or did not.

Spriggs to me was a coaching strike. I graded him as a round 1 player so I'm not going to criticize Ted.

Guy had 1 weakness, the inside move. He was so athletic and unbeatable around the edge, you could not run the arc on him. How can you not fix the single big flaw he had over 3-4 years??

37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are Alex Light, Josh Nijman or any other OT clearly better than Spriggs?  No.  Do the Packers save a meaningful amount of cap space ($1M+)?  No.  You're cutting him to prove a point is one of the stupidest things I've heard suggested out there.  The Packers lose NOTHING by keeping him through the roster cutdowns.  If at the end of camp, you don't think he's one of your 8 or 9 best OL you move on from him.  But releasing him now to prove a point is stupid.  I don't have to agree with the FO.  I think majority of the decisions they do are right, but this one I don't think is right.  I don't think Spriggs is anything special, but you have a hard time convincing me he's the 85-90th best player on the roster.

They might be significantly higher on Light than we think. Regardless, it's probably the injury.

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Spriggs to me was a coaching strike. I graded him as a round 1 player so I'm not going to criticize Ted.

Guy had 1 weakness, the inside move. He was so athletic and unbeatable around the edge, you could not run the arc on him. How can you not fix the single big flaw he had over 3-4 years??

I agree. Especially since most of his problem was he was so fast when guarding the edge that he left himself open on the inside.

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Isn't Marshall Newhouse still starting in the league? Spriggs has to at least get a shot, no?

He's not beating the kid from Stanford for that starting G. If he does, it's because they see the kid as a T, and it won't be for long.

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Uh, he also had no anchor.  

32 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

.Injuries heal.

I think his release was due to others performing better than most of us thought.  And Spriggs not being able to perform.  Maybe PUP would have been better?  Maybe?  But I feel like you do that if you think the player is better than those around him on the depth chart.  And in this case, I think it is obvious that those who work with the offensive lineman feel pretty good about those others guys.

Guess time will tell.  

I mean, the only logical reasoning I can find is that the trap injury was going to keep him out of most (if not all) of preseason and he was already on the outside looking in, so they decided to move on from him to get an extended look at someone else.

Archived