The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

11 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Zero reason to make him a starter IMO.

I'm starting to come around on this, but it has more to do with Woodruff, Burnes, and our overall pitching depth in the minors than it does with Hader. If Burnes and Woodruff can be the back end of the rotation (or hopefully even push Davies to the back of the rotation down the line), then yeah, Hader isn't a meaningful enough upgrade to justify taking him out of the bullpen since he's so dominant there. But if not and we're talking about having Brent Suter starting, that's a very different question.

On a related note, how the hell did Suter beat out Woodruff for a rotation spot.

I updated the first post of the thread to 2018. Updates beyond just changing dates and links include:

• Beefed up front office section
  • Service time and age added to roster section
  • Broke out more specific roles for bench players in roster section
  • Used more generic "high leverage" and "low leverage" for the bullpen guys instead of set up, LOOGY, etc. Only exception is Knebel since he's clearly the closer.
  • All known specifics added to incentives of contracts, payroll calculated with none and all incentives hit
  • 4 known 2018 July 2 guys added, including some scouting reports and video

If you still want any of the previous post, I saved it offline so let me know. Not sure how many people get any value out of it.

That also has my 25 man roster prediction, which isn't really much of a prediction since we know 22 of the 25. I've got Aguilar, Hoover, and Drake making the team. If I was the GM, I'd have Taylor Williams make it over Drake since he has actual upside, but since Williams has options my guess is that he starts the year in AAA.

Instead of doing the whole minor league rosters, I'll just guess on top prospect assignments. If I don't have any blurb, it's because I think it's a fairly no-brainer call. Going by Fangraphs rankings:

1. Keston Hiura, A+
2. Corbin Burnes, AAA. Think he could start the year in Biloxi while the MLB rotation gets settled and guys like Guerra and Wilkerson get regular starts. But I also think the Brewers didn't address their pitching depth issues in part because they're mentally penciling him in the rotation at some point this year.
3. Tristen Lutz, A. Would think they also expect him to stick here, and aren't just doing it because he's a top prospect with nowhere else to go.
4. Luis Ortiz, AA. Probably gets promoted fairly early. The Brewers have to figure out how to manage getting top prospects to AAA and still having the journeyman depth that Stearns really likes.
5. Brandon Woodruff, MLB.
6. Lucas Erceg, AA.
7. Trent Clark Grisham, AA.
8. Corey Ray, A+. I don't know what you do here. You can't send him to Low A when he's already such a confidence wreck. You can't promote him. So I guess you have to give him a 3rd shot in High A?
9. Freddy Peralta, AA.
10. Mauricio Dubon, AAA.
11. Marcos Diplan, A+.
12. Brett Phillips, AAA.
13. Cody Ponce, AA.
14. Mario Feliciano, A+. He did well in a full season at Low A, so that says call him up. Also that would stop him from splitting reps with KJ Harrison. But 19 catching in High A is a really big assignment. He's gonna be in the top of this list at the end of the year.
15. Jean Carmona, Helena. This would be a Low A assignment that would be pretty surprising, but also pretty awesome. Think Gilbert Lara and Franley Mallen are valuable enough prospects that you can't do what teams do a lot of times with guys who aren't ready and just give them a taste of every day ball, during extended spring, then demote them once it's over.
16. Caden Lemons, Helena.
17 Adrian Houser, starter in AA. Think he ends up in the bullpen before long.
18. Taylor Williams, AAA. Should be in the big leagues on talent.
19. Phil Bickford, A+. AA shortly after since he missed so much time.
20. Jake Gatewood, AA.
21. Kodi Medeiros, starter in A+. Could move to AA in the bullpen.
22. KJ Harrison, A.
23. Jorge Lopez, AAA.
24. Troy Stokes, AA.
25. Carlos Rodriguez, AZL.
26. Jacob Nottingham, AAA.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2018/03/26/brewers-manager-craig-counsell-has-valuable-weapon-his-bullpen-lefty-josh-hader/453646002/

When a manager has a weapon such as Josh Hader in his bullpen, the temptation is to use him as much as possible, sometimes pushing the envelope.

“We saw the last couple of months (of 2017) what we could do with Josh,” Milwaukee Brewers manager Craig Counsell said. “We’ll have that for the whole season (in 2018). The challenge for me is to keep him in a place where he’s fresh.”

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Apparently it’s Dan Jennings. That move makes no sense to me.

Yeah me neither. If we needed a LOOGY since Boone Logan is hurt, okay, but Jennings is equally bad against righties and lefties. I guess he's nominally better than JJ Hoover, and this way we keep both?