The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This hypothetical is Archer because I'd handpick the prospects I don't like. Realistically, Tampa Bay is gonna rail us for him. They've got leverage, they know it, and they're smart. There's no Archer trade that's not gonna be a kick to the stones.

I'd need a dollar figure on Darvish. 6/$120M? Coolio. 6/$180M? No es bueno.

For the sake of this I will say 6/$140M

Edited by SplashDive

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're a jerk for splitting the difference. :D

Urgh, gut feel...Darvish.

Lol yup.  I would feel more comfortable going with Darvish as well.  Now if I had a crystal ball and I knew Johnson could get Archer to his potential I would go with Archer all day.  His style just worries me.  I don't think he will age well, but that contract man.  If Johnson could get it out of him it would be nice.  Plus we could always flip him

The relative peanuts Archer makes would allow for a signing of one of the top FA pitchers still on the market. If adding Archer gets Darvish to commit, I think it's worth it then. At the end of the day, these guys are still just prospects. We've seen many fizzle out. 

Question for those who follow the prospects religiously: are any of these guys expected to be special, or just solid MLB players? Talking about Phillips, Burnes, Ortiz, Peralta. I only know what I hear and read across a few forums, but it doesn't sound like any of those guys are expected to be special players. 

4 hours ago, smetana34 said:

The relative peanuts Archer makes would allow for a signing of one of the top FA pitchers still on the market. If adding Archer gets Darvish to commit, I think it's worth it then. At the end of the day, these guys are still just prospects. We've seen many fizzle out. 

Question for those who follow the prospects religiously: are any of these guys expected to be special, or just solid MLB players? Talking about Phillips, Burnes, Ortiz, Peralta. I only know what I hear and read across a few forums, but it doesn't sound like any of those guys are expected to be special players. 

We've probably got at least $20M in additional spending increases from arbitration raises, players eligible for arbitration, and scheduled raises alone. Unless we can sustain a ~$140M+ payroll, there's just no way to fit both of those guys in now without causing some bleeding down the line.

Phillips - Premium 4th OF
Burnes - MOR starter
Ortiz - Somewhere between MOR starter and 7th inning RP
Peralta - Somewhere between BOR starter and 7th inning RP

The fact that they don't project as 4 WAR players doesn't mean they aren't going to be really valuable since we're such a small market and have so much of our payroll now spoken for. We'll need guys like this to help prevent us from having to go out and find the Austin Jacksons, Matt Albers, or Jhoulys Chacins of the world.

From what I know, a trade of Santana, Phillips, Burnes and Peralta is what TB want's for Archer.

^^Per Lord HighHeat.

I'd do this deal. It hurts for sure, if there's any way to get Burnes out and Ortiz in I'd do backflips. But this is what we should expect. TB was always gonna get the guys they really like and it was always gonna sting.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

By the way, another way to view this deal:

Santana - 2nd most valuable piece from 1.5 years of Carlos Gomez/a not very good Mike Fiers
Phillips - 3rd most valuable piece from 1.5 years of Carlos Gomez/a not very good Mike Fiers
Burnes - 4th round pick
Peralta - Most valuable piece back from a salary dump of Adam Lind

We pretty much created this value out of thin air. Gomez was the only valuable player we had to deal, and Hader is going to be worth more than he ever was anyway.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

By the way, another way to view this deal:

Santana - 2nd most valuable piece from 1.5 years of Carlos Gomez/a not very good Mike Fiers
Phillips - 3rd most valuable piece from 1.5 years of Carlos Gomez/a not very good Mike Fiers
Burnes - 4th round pick
Peralta - Most valuable piece back from a salary dump of Adam Lind

We pretty much created this value out of thin air. Gomez was the only valuable player we had to deal, and Hader is going to be worth more than he ever was anyway.

Exactly. I'm not worried about the farm. Go get value where you can and let's create some major buzz. 

17 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

^^Per Lord HighHeat.

I'd do this deal. It hurts for sure, if there's any way to get Burnes out and Ortiz in I'd do backflips. But this is what we should expect. TB was always gonna get the guys they really like and it was always gonna sting.

I saw that.  Why the actual hell haven't the Brewers jumped on this?  That seems like a substantial underpay for Archer.

3 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

From the gawd HH19

Bet my left nut that one trade is for Archer and that 1 player is Burnes.

If the Brewers could afford (and I don't think they can but they have an accounting department and I'm a **** on the internet ) both Darvish and Archer while keeping the team together, AND they knew they're getting Darvish, then you can let him go.

Darvish
Archer
Nelson
Anderson
Literally don't care

Good enough. But they're going to want somebody in the MOR area if they can't get Darvish up top.