The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The Rays are going after the right guys. I want to deal exactly zero of those pieces, and I bet the Brewers think more highly of them than most lists.

I like Burnes a lot as a potential MOR starter, and Peralta is probably underrated due to being really short, but Phillips and Santana as the main 2 pieces?  One is a DH and the other is a 4th/5th OFer.

3 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I like Burnes a lot as a potential MOR starter, and Peralta is probably underrated due to being really short, but Phillips and Santana as the main 2 pieces?  One is a DH and the other is a 4th/5th OFer.

The main 2 pieces are Santana and Burnes.

Santana is coming off a year where he hit 30 bombs and OBPd like .360, has 4 years of team control and wasn't highly paid as an amateur. I bet the Rays view him as a guy they can extend (I profiled one out at like 5 years + CO, $40M). 

Phillips I think is a luxury 4th OF on a good team, but the Rays might want to see if they can get him lifting the ball more. Former top prospect, decent MLB debut, I can see why they'd want him.

This deal feels like the Gomez/Fiers deal we did. We didn't get the guy right at the top of everyone's list, but we picked guys in the system that we really liked. TB doing this scares me. I'm more scared of that trade than I am of the Yelich deal honestly.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

At this point, eff it. Let's just go for it. It stings but 2011 where the Brewers and Packers were both playing big games in September was probably the most exciting fall of my life. I'd enjoy the hell of out that again. Last year was fun but I just never felt we had the pieces to catch the Cubs when Jimmy went down. Archer, Yelich, Cain + a potential FA pitcher? Thats a whole different story.

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The main 2 pieces are Santana and Burnes.

Santana is coming off a year where he hit 30 bombs and OBPd like .360, has 4 years of team control and wasn't highly paid as an amateur. I bet the Rays view him as a guy they can extend (I profiled one out at like 5 years + CO, $40M). 

Phillips I think is a luxury 4th OF on a good team, but the Rays might want to see if they can get him lifting the ball more. Former top prospect, decent MLB debut, I can see why they'd want him.

This deal feels like the Gomez/Fiers deal we did. We didn't get the guy right at the top of everyone's list, but we picked guys in the system that we really liked. TB doing this scares me. I'm more scared of that trade than I am of the Yelich deal honestly.

I'm not buying Santana as a .360 BABIP guy going forward, but even if you did, why would the Rays agree to take that back as the main piece for their most valuable trade asset?  They already have Dickerson under control for awhile, and DH types are going to be readily available for beans every year until the CBA gets renegotiated.  Makes zero sense for them.

That's also pretty rich on Phillips, IMO.  You have to REALLY be optimistic on that bat for him to be much more than a defensive replacement 4th/5th OFer.

40 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm not buying Santana as a .360 BABIP guy going forward, but even if you did, why would the Rays agree to take that back as the main piece for their most valuable trade asset?  They already have Dickerson under control for awhile, and DH types are going to be readily available for beans every year until the CBA gets renegotiated.  Makes zero sense for them.

That's also pretty rich on Phillips, IMO.  You have to REALLY be optimistic on that bat for him to be much more than a defensive replacement 4th/5th OFer.

Because they really like the other guys. The Marlins trade doesn't scare me because Brinson was the guy they were supposed to want. This is the Rays saying "yeah we can start handpicking the guys we want out of your system".

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Bet my left nut that one trade is for Archer and that 1 player is Burnes.

If the Brewers could afford (and I don't think they can but they have an accounting department and I'm a **** on the internet ) both Darvish and Archer while keeping the team together, AND they knew they're getting Darvish, then you can let him go.

Darvish
Archer
Nelson
Anderson
Literally don't care

Good enough. But they're going to want somebody in the MOR area if they can't get Darvish up top.

Davies is a damn fine #5

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because they really like the other guys. The Marlins trade doesn't scare me because Brinson was the guy they were supposed to want. This is the Rays saying "yeah we can start handpicking the guys we want out of your system".

The Rays don't have the FO that they used to.  I wouldn't lose sleep over dealing with them.  Especially if the package for Archer is trully as light (relatively speaking) as what HH mentioned.  

Since I am really bored at work and I have a man crush on Mejia throw together a package to Cleveland where we get Mejia and a SP with a deal centered around Santana.  Just so we are clear I know we aren't going to get him so this is strictly hypothetical.

Cleveland gets

Santana, Burnes, and two fliers (not sure yet who)

Milwaukee gets

Salazar, Kipnis (eat all of his contract), and Mejia

That still seems light to me though lol

1 hour ago, SplashDive said:

Since I am really bored at work and I have a man crush on Mejia throw together a package to Cleveland where we get Mejia and a SP with a deal centered around Santana.  Just so we are clear I know we aren't going to get him so this is strictly hypothetical.

Cleveland gets

Santana, Burnes, and two fliers (not sure yet who)

Milwaukee gets

Salazar, Kipnis (eat all of his contract), and Mejia

That still seems light to me though lol

I would imagine Cleveland would hang up the phone pretty quick unless those "flyers" are top 20 guys too.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I would imagine Cleveland would hang up the phone pretty quick unless those "flyers" are top 20 guys too.

For sure.  I think I'd be fine with 2 top 20 guys that have high upside as well.  I know that was light but eating all of Kipnis contract is big though to.

Mejia is a huge prospect so I know he wouldn't come cheap.  LIS earlier I don't think we would ever get it done but just curious.

Edited by SplashDive