Dean Lowry extended

Arthur Penske

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

You need guys like that.  Solid.  Available.  Paying them an average of 5.3M/year over 4 years is a good deal.

I kind of equate it to Lane Taylor's last deal.  For a starting above average guard, it's a good deal.

starting Guard vs rotational non-impact DL is the difference to me.  Lowry just doesn't play that many snaps, and his snaps aren't that impactful.

Don't love or hate the deal.  He's an adequate rotational guy who's not going to do much more than eat snaps.  Being available is the only thing that he really excels at IMO.

Think we paid market value for the guy given his impact as a pass rusher.  Don't understand why this deal had to happen now.

14 minutes ago, SSG said:

Don't understand why this deal had to happen now.

This.

we paid market down to market down and it makes no sense when Lowry looks like a 200 snap guy on paper.  In a way, this kind of seems like they are cutting daniels in order to justify the contract for Lowry, which seems really odd to me.  If Lowry isn't taking those snaps by force why is he getting this deal?

4 hours ago, St Vince said:

He's got the frame but cursed with T Rex arms.

Exactly, He has great athletic ability but his arm length holds him back from taking the next step. I remember it being clear as day watching his highlight tape when we drafted him. He would be so quick off the ball and beat his guy up field a lot but would just be a couple inches short of making a great play. Still a solid player though. 

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

starting Guard vs rotational non-impact DL is the difference to me.  Lowry just doesn't play that many snaps, and his snaps aren't that impactful.

I think you are underestimating the snaps that Lowry eats and how effective/solid he is.

• Like 3

Yeah, Lowry plays a lot of snaps, and he's pretty effective with them.  He's a bit of a "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" type player in that he rarely wins clean enough to make the big obvious splash plays; he's generally the guy flushing the QB or beating a reach block to force the RB back inside rather than making the sack or TFL.  But he's consistent with that; big, quick, lot of effort and very experienced is a good combo to have on the field in any situation.  

The curious thing to me is who is going to get Big Mike's 3-tech snaps in the 2-4 set they ran primarily.  Lancaster/Clark against run heavy teams, Clark/Lowry against pass heavy teams?  Clark/Adams against everything?  There's an opening here for someone to make a statement, let's hope someone does.

12 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Lowry played 698 snaps on defense last year, that's about max for a DL

that was pretty situational when Daniels and Wilkerson got hurt.  Backups are gonna play when starters get hurt.

Right now it seems the team is forcing him onto the field, but I don't get why when you have Z. Smith and Gary as potential replacements and guys you want getting snaps over him.

Between Clark, Adams, Gary, Smith there's still plenty of 1st and second down reps for a DE.  Just not sure why the team is clearing the table for the super average Dean Lowry and paying to keep him around.

This is a scheme where your DE can get 8-10 sacks.  Lowry played a full complement of snaps last year and was pretty mediocre playing next to kenny clark.

Haha, Tramon played 99.5% of snaps last year.  Yeesh.

8 hours ago, St Vince said:

He's got the frame but cursed with T Rex arms.

That’s the odd thing though... he led Northwestern in passes batted down for a few years running and has swatted down a few for us as well. Vision, instincts, strength, and that all important “motor” are helping him overcome arms that might look more comfortable swinging from Danny DeVito. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

That’s the odd thing though... he led Northwestern in passes batted down for a few years running and has swatted down a few for us as well. Vision, instincts, strength, and that all important “motor” are helping him overcome arms that might look more comfortable swinging from Danny DeVito. 

Arm length is important for a lot more than batted passes.  For a defensive lineman, getting your hands onto the upper body of the guy blocking you is almost always objective one, especially in a 2-gap system.  Lowry makes up for his short arms by being quick and aggressive, but make no mistake it's still a hindrance.

4 hours ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Well, he’s tall, so his arms start from a higher position to begin with. A 6’6” guy w/ 31” arms can have the same standing reach as a 6’2” guy w/ 35” arms. 

Though the short arms are still a hindrance if you’re trying to keep OL hands off you.