Mike Daniels released

Leader

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Sometimes the traded picks are conditional. And certainly any interested team is gonna wanna let their MDs get eyeballs on him before they consummate a trade and spend a pick and $8 M. The Packers also have to weigh the value of a conditional 6th vs letting a true Packer like Daniels choose his next stop. The Packers aren't completely heartless and they have to deal with that agent and the public perceptions in future dealings. As noted by others, Daniels is in the last year of his deal so the trading team has to consider that too in terms of what they are willing to give up ( not much)

I was being sarcastic.  I thought that became obvious with the Madden comment. 

22 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I was being sarcastic.  I thought that became obvious with the Madden comment.

i know and it was obvious
But a decent lawyer/debater never misses the opportunity to get his arguments entered into the record.  :)

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Concern about the locker room with guys being disgruntled is so vastly overblown. Every single player is dealing with their own **** about getting paid, about getting a new deal, about not getting cut, etc. If our guys aren't playing up to potential because Daniels is mad about his stuff, they shouldn't be in the NFL. Overcoming those distractions is part of the business.

GB traded D Randall with some lockerroom related issues.  Not saying they are similar situations, but saying it is overblown is swinging the pendulum the other way.

I'm against cutting every competent NFL starter player before camp regardless of position played. If we cut Geronimo Allison tomorrow because we thought he wasn't going to get resigned and wasn't likely to see a lot of reps, I would be mad too.

Cutting someone that is making a 1/4 what Daniels is making would be foolish.  

If Lowry blows his knee out the second week of camp, Daniels was around to fill in this year. You just don't cut him at that point and let him play out the year.

You are right, if something happens in TC with an injury, Daniels would be an really nice insurance policy.  

Now if that happens, we're screwed. Why does that risk exist? Because we wanted to be nice rather than looking out for our team.

It's stupid. 

So what is the option you would prefer?  you seem to be concerned with injuries and production

1.  Keep Daniels through the full season, 

2.  Cut Daniels at the cutdown date

3.  Cut Daniels now.  

The only option that protects you from injuries is #1.  Options 2 and 3 still have the issue if a player gets injured, you are relying on the back up to play meaningful snaps.  

As for the production, that is still an unknown with all the moving parts involved with the players that include (Lowry, Adams, Clark, Lancaster, Kingsley, Daniels, Gary, ZSmith, P Smith).  Keeping Daniels around does not ensure that the production is superior vs if he is cut.  Does it give you a potentially better chance at better production, I would say yes.  Is it enough of a chance that warrants $8+M being spent, I am going to say no.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

For everyone saying cut Tramon instead. That man fooled us once when just about everyone thought he was done the first time we let him go, he’s stuck around for a reason. He’s mentally sound and unfortunately the reality is if he was cut the Packers are an injury away from have some big concerns at corner

And they aren't at defensive line? Mike Daniels is a better football player at his position right now than Tramon is at his and it's not that close. 

Daniels is definitely one of those players on our team that would've netted a 4th or 5th round compensatory pick. I suppose Gute probably felt he would not be able to resist dipping into free agency again next year and that would cancel out any compensatory pick for Daniels in 2021.

With that in mind the $8m cap space was probably much more valuable.

I think this is a clue hinting that compensatory picks going forward will not be a priority under Gute. In order to gain comp picks you need to be fairly inactive in free agency but you do have to take on the cap hit for one year longer. TT would've almost certainly kept Daniels around this year with one eye on the comp pick and in doing so swallow the cap hit in the process. Not dabbling in FA does help keep our salary cap low across the board as draft picks are much cheaper. It also results in roster stability as we would be keeping players for one year longer.

Gute making free agency a priority will negate comp picks, it will result in taking on higher salaries but it can be manageable by cutting high salaried players like Daniels without worrying about the comp picks. Just a different way of doing things but it will result in higher roster turnover as players get cut one year earlier than we're used to.

The big downside with Gute's method is the lack of draft picks. If Gute continues with this approach then we will never get more than 7 draft picks a year and we will have to rely on trades to amass draft picks but not everyone find making trades as easy as the Patriots do.

I suppose in the short term with Rodgers remaining career window Gute's approach is probably the right one. I will be interested to see if he returns to TT approach when Rodgers is gone, he's going to need those draft picks.

Edited by Chili

16 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Is there any chance we bring in Wilkerson now at a reduced rate to last year? Maybe in the 3 million range? I'm just spit balling here because this one is a bit of a stumper for me. 

I think so.  He would be fractional in price to Daniels and still has that Pettine connection.

I'd like a proven veteran on that line yet.  

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think so.  He would be fractional in price to Daniels and still has that Pettine connection.

I'd like a proven veteran on that line yet.  

Wasn't he arrested this offseason? suspension looming? If that's the case then I think we can safely forget about the idea of bringing WIlkerson back.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

Wasn't he arrested this offseason? suspension looming? If that's the case then I think we can safely forget about the idea of bringing WIlkerson back.

Thought it was a DUI?  ...looked it up DWI.  I don't think a suspension is coming.

19 minutes ago, Chili said:

Daniels is definitely one of those players on our team that would've netted a 4th or 5th round compensatory pick. I suppose Gute probably felt he would not be able to resist dipping into free agency again next year and that would cancel out any compensatory pick for Daniels in 2021.

With that in mind the $8m cap space was probably much more valuable.

I think this is a clue hinting that compensatory picks going forward will not be a priority under Gute. In order to gain comp picks you need to be fairly inactive in free agency but you do have to take on the cap hit for one year longer. TT would've almost certainly kept Daniels around this year with one eye on the comp pick and in doing so swallow the cap hit in the process. Not dabbling in FA does help keep our salary cap low across the board as draft picks are much cheaper. It also results in roster stability as we would be keeping players for one year longer.

Gute making free agency a priority will negate comp picks, it will result in taking on higher salaries but it can be manageable by cutting high salaried players like Daniels without worrying about the comp picks. Just a different way of doing things but it will result in higher roster turnover as players get cut one year earlier than we're used to.

The big downside with Gute's method is the lack of draft picks. If Gute continues with this approach then we will never get more than 7 draft picks a year and we will have to rely on trades to amass draft picks but not everyone find making trades as easy as the Patriots do.

I suppose in the short term with Rodgers remaining career window Gute's approach is probably the right one. I will be interested to see if he returns to TT approach when Rodgers is gone, he's going to need those draft picks.

I don't think Daniels would have netted much in the way of a comp pick.  18 tackles, 2 sacks in 10 weeks.  But, that isn't the point I want to make.

My point is this...Gute went hog wild in free agency this past year.  Why?  He had the cap space to do so and didn't have key free agents of his own to re-sign.

I doubt highly that we will see this kind of action again for a couple of years.  Instead most of our activity will come from re-signing our own and maybe taking a few swings at second or third tier players.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chili said:

I don't think the suspension would be that big a deal for us. Give the younger guys a chance to play early and keep him fresh for the stretch run. Not trying to diminish the DWI either.