Mike Daniels released

Leader

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lancaster is a NT. He's probably going to be playing at 320lbs. He's not a 3T. He's a backup to Clark and maybe a 5T.

Adams is closer, but he's far from a natural fit also.

Lowry is closer than Adams, but he's also playing a lot of the 3rd DL spot and he's not a natural penetrator.

Clark is the best 3t on our team. The best 1t and the best 5t. If Lancaster is much improved, Clark can slide over. 

Just now, boratt said:

Clark is the best 3t on our team. The best 1t and the best 5t. If Lancaster is much improved, Clark can slide over. 

Clark probably is, but you've just downgraded the 1T from Clark to Lancaster by making that move. You're shredding pass rush for run defense, not a great strategy in a league where teams are passing 65%+ of the time. 

Das Gute on Lancaster from his presser

“His game was a little broader I think than most of us in the organization would’ve thought it would have been,” Gutekunst said. “He always had strength and power and really kind of anchored down. But I think the thing with Tyler coming out of college was could he get off blocks and be more of a playmaker, especially obviously between the tackles, which is what a nose does.

“Certainly down the stretch last year he showed a lot of that, his ability to get off blocks and make plays. So yeah, I think we were all pleasantly surprised. As we got toward the end of the season opportunity presented itself and he certainly took advantage of it.”

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What about the nickel? Who is playing next to Clark? in the 2-4 and 3-3?

Highly doubt we run much 3-3-5 unless we get multiple young guys that step it up. 

In the 2-4, I already said it will be a lot of Z/Gary. We'll see if Lancaster and Adams force the issue and get more time there.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Highly doubt we run much 3-3-5 unless we get multiple young guys that step it up. 

In the 2-4, I already said it will be a lot of Z/Gary. We'll see if Lancaster and Adams force the issue and get more time there.

Really worried we're going to get run over with 2 280-lb guys sharing 3-tech roles. That's got the potential to be really really bad, and also goes against one of the few staples of Pettine's Defenses over the last decade. He's all about stopping the run. 

33 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why cut him today?

We talked about passing the physical
Another reason is that they were looking at trade possibilities, its possible Mike and his agent knew about that effort
How can you bring him into camp after that ?  He was either gonna be traded or released and today was the last day to get that done.
The Packers can't risk an injury in camp or there's a chance the coveted cap savings wouldn't be realized.

26 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

IN THE PRESSURE PACKAGE, ZADARIUS CAN PLAY THE 3T.

What about the other 75% of snaps?

I'd say it's more 40/60 for pressure package vs not in today's game.

You're still in base a good 10-15% of the snaps, no worries with Lowry, Lancaster, Adams replacing Daniels there. He's more of a penetrator now than a guy that can two gap. Not much of a loss.

Really the areas to be concerned with now are when we are are playing smaller and a team runs the ball in an unfavorable running down, or more likely running downs when we have Lancaster/Adams/Lowry in and our opponents pass the ball. We're probably talking 20% of snaps that we can't match the play Daniels would have given us. Is that worth 10m? Not sure, but if that 10m can give us a Martinez and Clark extension I'm willing to see.

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Really worried we're going to get run over with 2 280-lb guys sharing 3-tech roles. That's got the potential to be really really bad, and also goes against one of the few staples of Pettine's Defenses over the last decade. He's all about stopping the run. 

The post above you say it can't be Lancaster because teams pass 65% of the time and that'd be a dumb strategy, now you're afraid to get run on. Seems like you're seeking out a reason to worry to me.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Clark probably is, but you've just downgraded the 1T from Clark to Lancaster by making that move. You're shredding pass rush for run defense, not a great strategy in a league where teams are passing 65%+ of the time. 

So is the worry about the passing game and pass rush......

14 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

......Or are you worried about stopping the run?

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

So is the worry about the passing game and pass rush......

......Or are you worried about stopping the run?

I'm guessing he's more worried that we don't have as much of a interior pass rush on every down. That if we supplement the pass rush with Smith or Gary on early downs, we'll get run over. Which is a worry, but I don't think the guys we have now are colossal Downgrades in the pass rush department. Lowry is decent, which he will probably take a lot of what would of been Daniels snaps. Adams and Lancaster arent terrible rotations and won't be on the field on passing downs, and maybe even Keke could splash. I don't think we're in a big rut here, just none of these guys are super star pass rushers.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

4 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I'm guessing he's more worried that we don't have as much of a interior pass rush on every down. That if we supplement the pass rush with Smith or Gary on early downs, we'll get run over. Which is a worry, but I don't think the guys we have now are colossal Downgrades in the pass rush department. Lowry is decent, which he will probably take a lot of what would of been Daniels snaps. Adams and Lancaster arent terrible rotations and won't be on the field on passing downs, and maybe even Keke could splash. I don't think we're in a big rut here, just none of these guys are super star pass rushers.

THe pass rush from the interior is probably lessened based on the 2 years ago prime Daniels.  The outside rush with the additions of Gary, ZSmith, P Smith should be improved over the Perry, CM3, Fackrell of the last few years.  Probably comes out even in the balance of things.  

I think it could be fair to be worried about pass and run?  You want perfect defenders who are good at defending either.  In his healthier days, Daniels was.  (I have no idea whether he will be ever again, beats me.)  

1.  In an RPO world, perhaps when the opposing QB sees Lancaster, he says, "Great!  Freebie!  We'll pass!"  And when he sees the 280-pounders, he says, "OK, we'll hand it off and pound you...."  

2.  There is no such thing as a "running down".  Every down is a passing down for almost every other team in the league.  (Maybe MLF will prove otherwise, but at least for our opponents.....)  If you knew what the other team was going to do, sure you could use Lancaster for running plays and Z for passing plays.  But opponents don't always do what your defensive personnel best defend.  They often try to do what your defensive personnel can least defend.  

Oh man.  Moves like this really make the offseason interesting and definitely highlight how informed the dialogue is on this board.

Even more excited about the upcoming season just going through this thread and thinking about the possible consequences of this move.

Maybe we've got a shot this year, we probably don't, at least not a "real" one.  Either way, this isn't gonna be the difference.

At the end of the day, whether or not we win a title anytime soon is going to be determined by two factors: the synergy between Rodgers and the new staff and its impact on the offense, and how quickly, and to what level, the young talent all over this roster ascends.

Daniels was an above average talent, great personality, and respected member of the community for this team, all things worthy of gratitude, respect, and acknowledgment.  But the fate of the 2019 (and forward) Packers was never gonna be decided by his play.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I was gonna say something about this, but I was afraid I'd get blasted.  A part of me is happy Daniels is gone because he seems to be a little bit of a nerd. 

what does him being a nerd have to do with anything? 

I'm willing to reserve judgement on this. The DL group has been very deep. Lancaster and Adams finished off the season well and Smith & Gary bring in some versatility. Daniels declined a bit last year and then had the injury. And now he's 30. He's been an awesome Packer, but idk if he is a sure thing for the coming year. Or at least sure enough to be a massive upgrade to the alternatives.