Mike Daniels released

Leader

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is anyone going to argue that we're a better team today than yesterday?

Not sure if being better today vs yesterday is more important than being better during the later part of the season vs yesterday.  

29 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Not sure if being better today vs yesterday is more important than being better during the later part of the season vs yesterday.  

Is the idea that the young guys will develop so much better now that they'll surpass their would have been collective output? Or just that we might also add other things?

I don't think this on it's own makes us better this year really at all.

43 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The one I laughed about was former bears personnel guy Greg Gabriel ripping on the Packers for the late release
Of all the people who should know these rules, you'd think he would be one of them.

Tretter, Burnett and Whitehead too

I looked up that tweet and almost all of them are "they were trying to trade him for weeks." Lol. Everyone's so smart these days online. Maybe they were but if it was really physicals day, well that's really what it was I'm sure.

• Like 1

He'd have to pass a physical to consummate any trade
These moves are usually an amalgam of multiple factors and teams are super- secretive about all of this

think of it this way: When your gf dumped you, she probably gave you a viable reason.
But it wasn't the only reason and it might not have been the biggest reason.   :)

8 hours ago, Leader said:

Herman: My quick thoughts on the Daniels release: He’s coming off a tough injury and was due $10.7 million. By cutting him you save $8.3 million. The truth is when they made their huge free agent signings they needed to find a way to save somewhere else. This is a part of that.

It’s possible Daniels wanted an extension & things were at an impasse. If they felt coming off of injury he wasn’t worth the $10 mil contract they would want to move on. The truth is that this move hurts the defense as he was undoubtedly one of their best players when healthy.

Jimmy Graham would have been a better cut prior to his bonus being paid. I like Mike Daniels, but obviously they think that Lowry, Adams and Lancaster are going to be fine, maybe Keke too. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Only way this makes sense is if Gute is committed to being able to make in-season moves when they are needed and/or he's trying to make a move before the start of the season. 

If he signs with the Patriots, it's Fire Gute for real for me. 

Weren't you the one shouting about how he should be cut in the off season? I"m just asking but thought it was you. 

EDIT: My bad, wasn't you! 

Edited by Golfman

5 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Weren't you the one shouting about how he should be cut in the off season? I"m just asking but thought it was you. 

I was in a probably small group that was fine with  moving on from Daniels and using the $8+M that would have been saved on a FA DL.  Sheldon Richardson was a player I was hoping for as a replacement for Daniels

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I was in a probably small group that was fine with  moving on from Daniels and using the $8+M that would have been saved on a FA DL.  Sheldon Richardson was a player I was hoping for as a replacement for Daniels

Thanks, I don't want to accuse the wrong person! 

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

He'd have to pass a physical to consummate any trade
These moves are usually an amalgam of multiple factors and teams are super- secretive about all of this

think of it this way: When your gf dumped you, she probably gave you a viable reason.
But it wasn't the only reason and it might not have been the biggest reason.   :)

tenor.gif

• Like 2

For everyone saying cut Tramon instead. That man fooled us once when just about everyone thought he was done the first time we let him go, he’s stuck around for a reason. He’s mentally sound and unfortunately the reality is if he was cut the Packers are an injury away from have some big concerns at corner

• Like 2

Not getting overly worked up about this.  Peak Daniels was a very good player, but wasn't elite.  He's now in decline, talks tough more than makes plays in big games, and he's not a great scheme fit.  Can't say I expected him to be released, or even like it, but it's not a shocking move.

• Like 1