Mike Daniels released

Leader

A bit surprised by this, but not really.  Declining player coming off an injury due $10+M.  There were some that were calling for this back before FA in March

Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Adams, Kingsley with Gary, ZSmith and PSmith along the front.  

Hope this means the staff sees a lot with Adams, Lowry and the other options in house.

*IF* we can get championship-level play from Rodgers for the next 2-4 years, the Packers are really well positioned to be a consistent playoff factor.  

If Rodgers is crummy, then it probably doesn't matter a whole lot what usage decisions are made with Daniels/Adams/Lancaster type guys.  

47 minutes ago, Norm said:

I wish I had suggested yesterday that we cut Daniels tomorrow to see everyone laugh their ***** off and now oh it happened TIME TO RATIONALIZE. This sucks unless something is being done after this.

I mean I'm not thrilled about the move or even excited, but I get it. Daniels was on the short list of possible "surprise" cuts. Nothing about this is shocking imo.

27 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Well - I actually like that he's a nerd - I don't think it changes him as a football player. But I find the weirdo football players way more interesting.

It never had anything to do with being a “nerd” it was the fact that you had an undersized DT yelling and talking about GB needs to be “tough” to be a good defense... because all the good defenses are tough.

When I’m sure upon playing any amount of games in the nfl, any nfl player will tell you that winning has more to do with just straight being good at your job. To be a better defense they didn’t need guys to toughen up... they needed new better players.

The toughest defenses are always the top ones... how odd. It was fake tough guy persona, it’s not sustainable because it’s not real. People want authentic, not saying Daniels was fake... the idea and mindset of “hey we need to be tough” is fake.

Most guys just want to do their jobs. Having some guy yelling about not having league respect and not being tough enough would get tiresome quick.

59 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

"While Daniels has been hell-bent on trashing Green Bay's "soft" label, one teammate says guys are turned off by his "hypocritical leadership."

Josh Sitton 2.0

I've been banging this drum for awhile now. Figured he was an easy cut (along with Tramon and somewhat Crosby).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

While he may have injury concerns and whatnot, his strong presence in the locker room might be the thing this team will most - especially in this transition year with so many new players.  Will miss him for sure.

Strong locker room presence might be more bark than bite.

44 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Well - I actually like that he's a nerd - I don't think it changes him as a football player. But I find the weirdo football players way more interesting.

Nerds dont make good football players. Not primal enough  :)

32 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

I have no issue with cutting Daniels. The timing is a joke though and hopefully we find something out as to why it happened now i.e they rechecked his foot injury/recovery and didn't like what they found

Don't think we could cut Daniels while he was hurt and unable to pass a physical, otherwise we would have had to agree on an injury settlement. He probably passed his physical so we cut him.

• Like 1

Tough news to wake up to, but not a shock in the end.  He was 30 and making $10 million, that's two strikes there.  There's a bunch of other reasons that could serve as strike 3; bad scheme fit, coming off a foot injury as an undersized rusher whose game goes when his legs do, no home on the pressure package, etc.  It's a bit of a gamble, you need the young guys to step up, but I just don't think Daniels was the kind of player who could consistently impact games anymore, and that's tough to pay that kind of money to.

• Like 1

I think we all saw this coming (especially after yesterday's Lowry signing). Maybe it was a year earlier than expected but;

-For what he was getting paid his production was slipping.

-Lowry and M Adams (at least per PFF) were similarly graded players (Lowry 73, Daniels 71, Adams 69). Granted that is with less snaps, but shows there are options on the team other than Daniels that can be as successful that are younger/cheaper

With that said, I'm definitely sucks to see him go. It is never fun to see a long time core player leave. I'll root for him until he retires (as a long as he doesn't go to a team in the NFCN)