Mike Daniels released

Leader

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Are we trying to win now or not? Somebody needs to answer that damn question.

I don't think it's that simple.  A little more nuanced than that. 

Yes, we are trying to win now.  At the same time, I think expectations are realistic. 

We have not been to the playoffs the past two years. 
We have a first year head coach.

We are trying to win now, but we aren't anticipating to win it all now.  Mike Daniels is the type of player who can give you that veteran leader with playoff experience if you are expecting to win the Super Bowl.  If you've been close and couldn't quite get over the hump.  If you are a favorite to win it all. 

We are trying to build a team that will be competitive for years, not a year.  In light of that, you have to look at the facts:

1. We were not going to re-sign Daniels next year. 
2. We have youth at DL and we need to see how they can be expected to perform.

These facts go hand in hand. 

Keeping Daniels makes us a little bit better in what is sure to be a season that falls short of the top goal (Super Bowl). 
--Versus--
Keeping Daniels prevents us from giving valuable reps to the future of our DL.  Giving these reps provides twofold value:
         1. It lets us evaluate what we have in Adams, Brown, Keke, Lancaster, Looney.
         2. It allows them to grow into their roles for the 2020 season. 

So cutting Daniels lets us evaluate and improve who would be taking his spot next year. 

Daniels was not great last year.  Everybody could sense it.  Everybody could tell.  Everybody wants to remember his dominant years, but the truth is Mike Daniels was trending down ever since Pettine became our defensive coordinator. 

• Like 2

I can't remember where it was, but I swear just in the last couple of days I saw a quote that said current players did not resonate with his "ranting" style.  If there is any truth to this, the simpleton younger guys probably didn't get how Daniels could be a gamer and all into anime and cosplay and then come in and talk like a drill sergeant.

Just now, ccecilnosebleed said:

I can't remember where it was, but I swear just in the last couple of days I saw a quote that said current players did not resonate with his "ranting" style.  If there is any truth to this, the simpleton younger guys probably didn't get how Daniels could be a gamer and all into anime and cosplay and then come in and talk like a drill sergeant.

I was gonna say something about this, but I was afraid I'd get blasted.  A part of me is happy Daniels is gone because he seems to be a little bit of a nerd. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

The timing of this is BS by the team. Daniels deserved better than this. I think we all saw the writing on the wall in that he wasn't gonna be back after his contract was up, but why would you wait until now?

I love Daniels, but its nice to see the FO not rolling out the red carpet for guys that are "Packer People". Cutthroat business requires cutthroat decisions. Doesnt make us better this year, but like Outpost said, we will be better in 2020 because of this. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I was gonna say something about this, but I was afraid I'd get blasted.  A part of me is happy Daniels is gone because he seems to be a little bit of a nerd. 

Well - I actually like that he's a nerd - I don't think it changes him as a football player. But I find the weirdo football players way more interesting.

• Like 1

Perry and Daniels were two core defensive guys who both missed a lot of games.   Injuries can be fluky, so Daniels and Perry may now stack a couple of terrific, no-injuries seasons, and Matthews may never have another hamstring injury in his career.  But we may be a healthier team?  

This really clears things up and opens the window of opportunity for Lancaster and Adams.  I hope they seize their opportunities and emerge as very capable NFL rotation guys.  As a fan I love to watch young guys emerge, so I admit I'll kind of look forward to seeing how they do and how good they can become.

Packers have an unusual opportunity to keep their DL/OLB/ILB group together for an uncommonly long time.  No old guys ready to decline or undergo decline acceleration.  Assuming Martinez and Clark extend, they are really situated for stability.  

Yes, of course I'm looking-for-the-bright-side and rationalizing....  

• Like 2

Well I didn't see this coming, I was hoping to get one more year out of Daniels with all the new additions on defense. I will miss the veteran leadership and attitude of Mike Daniels even though, it could be possible he rubbed some people the wrong way. 

While I didn't initially understand the move, I have to believe there is a reason for it. Whether that be needing money for an extension, wanting money in season if a reactionary move is necessary, possible health concerns, or really liking the young guys they have. 

I also feel like they saw how well our run defense was the second half of last year without him so they figured with the additions of Z. Smith, P. Smith, Gary, and Kingsley to help the pass rush, they didn't really need Daniels anymore. I expect Lancaster/Adams to fill in on 1st downs and obvious run situations with Z. Smith/Kingsley/Gary taking over on passing downs. 

Mo Wilkerson on a vet minimum?

Just now, craig said:

Packers have an unusual opportunity to keep their DL/OLB/ILB group together for an uncommonly long time.  No old guys ready to decline or undergo decline acceleration.  Assuming Martinez and Clark extend, they are really situated for stability. 

This has been really understated here. 

Kenny Clark is a lock to be re-signed. 
Rashan Gary
Adrian Amos
Darnell Savage
Z. Smith
P. Smith
Jaire Alexander

Every single one of them is signed for the next 4 years.
Not a one of them will reach 31 years old before their contract is up. 

If even one of the Smiths hits, and if even one of Gary/Savage hits, that is probably the most promising core of defensive talent the Packers have ever had.  At least since we had Raji/Collins/Matthews/Woodson locked up for 4 years. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

I love Daniels, but its nice to see the FO not rolling out the red carpet for guys that are "Packer People". Cutthroat business requires cutthroat decisions. Doesnt make us better this year, but like Outpost said, we will be better in 2020 because of this. 

I have no issue with cutting Daniels. The timing is a joke though and hopefully we find something out as to why it happened now i.e they rechecked his foot injury/recovery and didn't like what they found

Just now, Outpost31 said:

This has been really understated here. 

Kenny Clark is a lock to be re-signed. 
Rashan Gary
Adrian Amos
Darnell Savage
Z. Smith
P. Smith
Jaire Alexander

Every single one of them is signed for the next 4 years.
Not a one of them will reach 31 years old before their contract is up. 

If even one of the Smiths hits, and if even one of Gary/Savage hits, that is probably the most promising core of defensive talent the Packers have ever had.  At least since we had Raji/Collins/Matthews/Woodson locked up for 4 years. 

Let's expand on that.  #12 ain't going anywhere.  Adams locked up.  MVS and ESB locked up.

Our skills positions could be scary in another year or two.

Which is why I think the window is opening this year.  It'll be a wider next year.  Year after?  Should be huge.  I think we get through this year and then we have two great years.